Register now to get rid of these ads!

Little off topic,but still need help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBobb, Nov 26, 2011.

1. BBobb

BBobb

Would not post this here if i relly did not need the help. I posted this question on another site specific forum and have not got a reply in 4 days. I recently bought a 1969 Chevy C10 i am wanting to use as a shop truck. I am wanting to convert the 6 lug coil rear end to 5 on 5. I am aware of the other years that will swap out,but all i have only come across the leaf spring set ups. My question is...is there axles out there in 5 lug i can do a simple swap out with my 6 lug axles or is there a complete coil spring rear end that will also do a direct swap...thanks upfront for any help on this one

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I think they went to 5 lug in 72 (C10 2wd) cant remember if they stayed with coils or not.

Axles may swap between the two …. wreckin yard can check the Hollander book

3. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

I did a '70 GMC once , it was 6-lug and you really couldn't find real cool 6 lug wheels at the time , I used '71-2 Chevrolet spindles out of a rusty heap in a junkyard , but , you have to change the ball joints , tie-rods , drag link , idlar arm , etc , you have to change all the front end to match the 5 lug setup , but , it will work/bolt on the upper / lower A-arms , as far as the rear end , the GMC I has was leaf spring , and the rear I used out of the Chevrolet was coil , but , they're the same width , so , just change the perches off of your old rear , and weld them on , spring perches , shock perches , all of it , sounds like alot of work , but , it ain't really that bad .

4. Don't know when they first had 5 lug but I have owned 72 c10 with 5lug wheels and coil springs. the bolt circle is the same as a cadi or buick 5on 5 I think.

5. I thought you could use the 71-2 axle in the 67-70 rear ends. As far as the front some folks swap the complete front cross member. Others swap the A arms. Some just change spindels and ball joints like the reply above.

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

71 or 72 will work

7. BBobb

BBobb

I have bought a 75 1/2 to donor with no rear end. I have been told by a couple old schoolers the the axle swap from 71-72 is a 1/4 inch longer. If any body out there has a 71-72 coil set up for a reasonable price get back with me..

8. no help @ 67-72chevytrucks.com?

9. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

Its been a looong time ago, but I remember my Dad putting a passenger car rearend in his 68 1/2 ton and then swapping the axles out so it was six lug again. I believe the rear end came from a 69 Impala. I know it was a passenger car rear end and that it bolted in, and the axles were a straight swap. Maybe that would work in reverse for you.

10. F&J

F&J

No, the later axle shafts will not fit a 69 or earlier C10 rear. 64 to 69 are short axles.

The shafts got slightly longer starting in 1970 with last c10 2wd to have 6 lugs.

So, you need a complete donor bolt-in rear from 71-72 c10

11. Or- If you have no luck finding a "bolt in",or your not into cutting and re-welding perches,why not just have the axels re-drilled?

12. BBobb

BBobb

That is the site i posted a few day ago on...oh well!!!!

13. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

(If you see one for cheap in your travels)

Full size Lincoln disc brake 9”
    Is the perfect width and has 5 on 5” bolt pattern …. weld on the brackets from the 6 lug Chevy.

14. BBobb

BBobb

What would be the process to having the re-drilled?????

15. Pull both axels out and take them to a machine shop with your bolt pattern. Last set I had done in a 65 C-10,from 6 lug to 5X5 was $75.

Just an alternative......

16. Larry T

Larry T

Pull the axles and take them to a machine shop. (I see INVISIBLEKID beat me to the draw) They usually have to plug at least one of the holes for the original lug bolts and then the redrill the pattern for the new bolt pattern. If you can't get it done locally I think Moser and Currie will drill them for you. Then you either have to figure out your drums. I think the newer drums would be bolt on.

As far as putting 5 lug discs on the front, I always replace the lower ball joint with a ball joint for the newer disc brake spindles, and then it's a pretty simple swap to change out the spindles and disc brake setups. It's been a while since I did this swap, but it seems like you have to change the tie rod ends too, but I don't remember for sure. Don't forget that you'll have to pull the residual valve out of your mastercylinder or change cylinders.
    Larry T

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  17. The last set of axles I had redrilled at a machine shop cost me my time to re-polish and kit two Holley 600's...mmmm

18. derbydad276

derbydad276

I had a 72 and it was 5 lug I think 70 is the switch over year

and I think I put rotors from a 75 on it when I did brakes

19. I see your post over on 67-72chevytrucks.com and its from this morning not several days ago. The question you have asked has been covered a bunch of times ... did you try search?

If you cant find the answer via search, you might PM a moderator to move your question over to the main are of the 67-72 discussions.

71 was the first year for five lug. The 71 and later axles are longer. You can get yours redrilled like has been stated here. Also there are several after market companies that sell five lug axles to fit the early housings.

Good luck in getting this taken care of ... Im CG over there too if you want to look me up.

20. F&J

F&J

Incorrect info, read my post above. Short axle shafts run from 64-69. 63 is a one year axle. Long axle started in 70 with still a 6 lug. A 70 rear can get switched but not a 69.

21. kustomd

kustomd

I did a swap once on a 66 I had where I used the the axles and drums backing plates etc... Off a 71 or 72 we had with the rear that was in the 66 it was a bolt in deal. The brakes were different on the donor truck besides the 5 lug pattern so we used it all. but we used the 66's rearend that was in it when I got the truck. So you might measure everything and see where the extra length puts the axles. I was just a high school kid building a truck out of a junkyard and I didn't know the parts weren't suppose to fit. Drove the truck 2 years like that then sold it.

22. Yep you are correct, I was only considering five lug axles. But thanks for keeping things clear.