Register now to get rid of these ads!

How would you do Bonneville?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aman, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

One of the best options for a person looking to get their feet wet in land speed racing is the 130 club event put on by the Utah Salt Flat Racing Assoc., www,saltflats.com. This is a standing mile held on a separate course during their World of Speed meet, held each Sept.

Minimum safety rules and you can drive your car to the meet and drive home. Check the website. In my years of salt I have come to the conclusion that a first timer either likes it and returns or we don't see them again.

If your resources will not let you drive, much less tow, from Texas to Utah I would suggest that LSR is not for you. Yet!

Good luck,
    DW

Trent - I like your 'bucket list' = F__kit list'

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

One thing I've always wondered about is the shape of streamliners, not drop tanks, ones designed from scratch. The shapes are all over the place, current top car looks like a kitchen knife with wheels

3. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Streamliners are purely evolutionary, like top fuel dragsters, but because landracing is still not funded by corporate america, the evolution is slower. This is why we still have diversity.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think seriously about Rich Fox's first suggestion and that is to find a race car that is already set up and that has passed tech at Bonneville in the recent past. There was a Camaro in this area for sale last year that someone had built, gone down and run 200 + in and then put up for sale to finance the next item on the bucket list. About 20K turn key and they had a big but ugly fifth wheel trailer that could be bought to go with it. All you needed was a helmet and fire suit and you were ready to race.

I'm with the others who say the first thing a guy needs to do is buy a rule book and study it. Then study the current records and figure out how to put together a car that would be competitive in one of them.

Hopefully in a couple of years I'll have an AD Chevy truck running in one of the smaller engine classes. It won't go 200 but I'm hoping to get within reach of a record.

5. firingorder1

firingorder1

6. Buy Rich's Vega

7. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Not HAMB friendly but I'd build a 70-78 datsun Z with a late model LS chevy motor. Something I've been rolling around in my head for a few years now. Light weight, decent aerodynamics and easy horsepower.

Devin

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Ever seen Burklands B210? Pretty slick.

9. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

Don't wait,build it. I'm building a Studebaker now. I'm 56 my partner is 60. We live in west Tenn. We are going to run at Bonneville, hope in 2012 but 2013 for sure. Plan on running in Texas and Ohio. Remember if it isn't FUN don't do it. Good Luck

10. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

I tend to argee with Firingorder1`s post..bikes are less expensive. Fewer safety items, and you will get a feeling of speed better than sitting in a car.

11. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I have been involved with both 2 and 4 wheeled LSR projects. 2 wheeled are far easier and less expensive to transport, provide workspace for, and store. Both will always take more time and money than you initially plan on but not much else funner than running either one, go for it!

Ed

12. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Wow Tman I didn't realize that you were building a racecar, I'm impressed and will be watching your work. See that's the kind of stuff I love and the "Fuckit list" instead of the "Bucket list" nearly made me fall off my stool when I read it. Now I'm more determined than ever to do this so we'll start off slow making the 130mph mark and work our way up from there. That's the smart thing to do, gain the experience and confidence and go up the ladder from there. I don't like the idea of shooting for the top (200mph+) and having something go wrong mechanically or financially. That tends to blow your enthusiasm all to hell and we have learned from past experience where that leads. Well, I think I'll call it a night and hopefully have some Bonneville dreams but I'll take a Beeville dream.:rolleyes: Chow for now.;)

Edit: sp

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  13. Glad I could help! ;)

14. 36tbird

36tbird

Aman, I'm in the San Antonio area and just on the cusp of a B-ville belly tank project. Went to the salt for the first time this year. Wow! Anyway, if you are near the hill country, let me know, you might want to be part of the build I am inching towards. In the meantime, let me just ask, what are they using in Bugville? Most of the time we took off of 13L and landed 13R. I am guessing that because I never crashed anything, my take offs and landings from each runway thrown in a barrel are equal. We made the students land their TA4's on rain soaked runways and use the arresting gear to stop them short and avoid the squirrellyness of the "scooter" on roll out. My claim to fame was the day I landed in a hellacious rain storm and did not take the gear so that a student could use it. The guys standing around watching the whole event unfold said that my aircraft disappeared in the roll out as the rain obscured the sight of my aircraft.

So, why am I waxing so nostalgic? If I build a belly tank and we go to the Texas Mile in Bugville to race it, it would really be neat.

15. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

36tbird, I don't know anything about the runways and such, just know I think it was a strip facing into a southeast wind if that helps. About that belly tanker I would love to help out with that. I can meet you there and air up the tires, make bologna sandwiches, or something:D, anything to help out. The next run is in March so lets stay in touch. Aman.

16. 36tbird

36tbird

Thanks, Aman. Well, so far the project is a tank laying in the back yard and ideas floating in my head for its construction. A couple of projects are ahead of it, so putting air in the tires is a ways off.

17. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

If you like the F-body for it's aerodynamics, then consider a different engine to fit a class you are more comfortable in, or can compete in better for less cash...

[​IMG]

18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Haha! Good luck with that! One thing (2?) you can bank on, is that something WILL go mechanically wrong at some point. Finacially wrong? It will simply cost you every dollar you have, and a whole bunch more!

...and it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!:D

19. I'd been to Bonneville several times - just when there was NO racing! Actually seeing guys run on the salt was a dream of mine for 40 years. In 2010, my family and I finally went, as I have other family in NV, so it was a twofer for me. Watched and listened, had a fantastic time! I plan on going again in '12 or '13, and WITH a car to run within five years.

I wonder why the hell I had waited so friggin' long!

20. I guess I'm a little late to this party but like was said so many times before "if you want to do it just do it!" I got started as crew then was told I could drive if I want, are you kidding? Then when my ride was taken away from me I just figured it was time to build my own. If you want it bad enough you will do it. Read the link below and you can see how I did it. Started with an idea and as it went along you would be suprised how many people think it's a cool undertaking and want to help. It wont always happen but I had so much help and donated time/parts/stuff that the project didn't hurt financialy at all. (I don't keep track of $) Last year I/we built the truck, ran it with a warmed up stock engine and did 127mph on a 164 record, I had a blast! This year we build a new engine with more HP. Speed next year? Gonna have a good time though.

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I like Tim's truck. He has the same idea as I do. Run what is interesting and fun for you. That's why I run things like Plymouth and Dodge vintage fours and a Packard powered Vega. I like Y blocks. Just don't have time to do one. But as long as you are having fun that is what is important. For you maybe thats a record. Or maybe not. Just please yourself.

22. Thanks Rich! And as for Rich's Vega, if he is really gonna sell it, that would make a great platform for someone to go fast!

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It's really for sale for $5000 if some Buddy dosn't come by and pick it up first.

Attached Files:

24. I can't say enough about Tim's aspirations for Bonney but it was a distinct pleasure pitting for him and being able to use the ICT as a tow vehicle for him. It was my first year at the salt and being able to get out to the start and finish line plus towing him back after his runs were the hilight of the trip. My suggestion for anyone going is to try and hook up and pit with someone makes it all the better!!!!!!! Thanks again TIM!!!!!!! .......plus its so neat to hear that Y-Block at full song..........

25. It was a fun experience for all of us in Tims camp!

Aman, any updates? Getting ideas going?

26. Lucky3

Lucky3

Prolly enough said already but B-Ville is THE meca of speed. You gotta go do this once ! Nothing in the world compares to B-ville !!! ::D