Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dammit!...Painter missed his deadline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustangsix, Nov 23, 2011.

1. I started prepping and priming and blocking my 29 the first week in April, shooting for a car show on June 11th. Got it final blocked and masked and towed it to my painter on June 1st. He shot the color and clear that night and I towed it back home the next day. Spent Friday Sat. & Sunday putting it back together and drove it to the DQ cruise night on Monday. Put some finishing touches on that week and made the June 11th show, took first place with 9 cars in my class. Now this winter I'm color sanding and buffing it. I guess I always try to do everything I can myself, that way the only one that can disapoint me is me. The key is that if you do miss your deadline ther'es always another show, or next year.

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

............HE,HE,HE,HE,HE,..............:D:D:D:D:D

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

3. Looks to me his payment should be delayed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

My painter has a sign in his shop that says "THIS AIN'T BURGER KING, YOU DON'T GET IT YOUR WAY! I CALL YOU WHEN IT'S DONE":) He's really a good guy, just poking fun at himself and painters in general.

5. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Thats the way VON DUTCH painted , was'nt it ?
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

6. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Do ya really own a Deuce ?

7. greazy john

greazy john

drive the deuce...i didn't see one in your profile...not all deadlines can always be kept,is your painter a good one ?? if so let him do what he does , and the turkey run will still be there without a jag

8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being delayed sucks, but usually everytime a car of mine was finished earlier than expect the quality sucked ... and the poor guy had to do it over. I always tell them, that I don´t care if it takes 3 months or half a year to paint my car, don´t worry, but I want it to be good.
    He mostly calls me after 3-4 months to pick it up, and he has reasonable prices.

BTW, what happened to your big Austin roadster with the Mustang 6?

Chris

9. afan

afan
    from michigan

It's called "PAINT JAIL"!!

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

we painted cars for a living here up until this summer. only gonna paint our own stuff from now on.believe me you dont want a fast paint job.most of you know this anyway. it has takin us up to a year to do a high end job.and if i was to charge by the hr. i could retire on just a few of them.we spent days just going over the body,inch by inch to make sure there was NOTHING wrong before wqe even shot the primer.dont do the we will fix that later shit.color sanding is where we spent the most time.ive started with a 1000 grit and ended up at 2500.graduating upwards by 500..been told that wasnt nessicary but damn they looked deep when we were done.man that color sanding a complete car 4 times and then son would buff that same car 3 times with different grit until we hand waxed them.thats about 3 times there.i have never had a car that has come back with a problem with the way a car looked.ive been proud of them when they were done but i hated them more and more everyday.lol. nobody around here has the money to pay 10.000$ for a paint job.so when we did all that work. took all that time and tied up the shop space for so long we did good to make 2800.but people knew what we could do and did and that made up for no money. i quess it is a ego thing.my name and my work. good aint it.!!lol

11. Recon

Recon
    from Smyrna Tn

As a painter myself, I can attest to the fact that sometimes small things can make a big delay. The question is would you be happy with a lower quality job, just because it was done on schedule? Or is it worth the wait to get it right? I personally do everything I can do get a car done "on schedule", but sometimes things happen. I won't cover up something so it'll make the deadline. I will call the customer and explain. I've found that a simple call and explanation will have most people understanding and OK with it. After all in the end it's my reputation, it's not worth being the fast guy who does crappy work to me, just to make a deadline.

12. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Often the biggest delays result from a car being in worse condition than the last hastily applied paint job might indicate.

When you have to go back to fix practically every panel "right", it takes a mite longer.

It kinda takes the wind out of a painters sails when a little sanding reveals that this panel is going to be a lot more work than I thought.... 3, 4, 5, or more of these panels add up....

13. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

No self respecting painter even starts on a car until the promised due date has passed. Excuses are us !

14. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

What!?
    On TV, they are in and out of the booth between commercials.
    Shoulda called Foose.

15. erlomd

erlomd

Yeah...and the interior guys should be setting up the headliner at the same time the mufflers are being installed...and you can't forget the sound system as well....lol

16. My last ride I had body and paint work farmed out was on a 6 month schedule. Three years later I finally got it back.

Next time I will be doing it myself, probably still take three years, but at least its all me.