Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. It could be, need more evidence. I am just saying a 6 digit DSO alone does not make it a HIPO.

2. Here is a picture of my 65 Cyclone and the reason for my Smurfy avatar. Back in the mid 90's I drove this thing on the street and this local idiot with a W-30 Olds kept trying to get me to race him. He would say things like bring that Smurfy blue turd out and watch my Olds' tailights guy down the road. SO, after a few months of that I gave in, took him out and he never said a thing to me again.
    Soon, thanks to Ken, it will have cragar's to go with the excellent center caps I got in the mail today. Christmas came early!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. Merritt

Merritt

OK, all this talk about weight loss has me interested. I'm looking at changing over to a disc brake package from TCP and the coil over shock set up, also is there any weight savings in using the tubular a-arms? Most of this would cut unsprung weight may give double the benefit.

4. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Merritt. I to am trying to trim some weight from my car. Right now I am changing from a cast iron water pump to aluminum and also a 4 row brass crossflow radiator to an aluminum Griffin. Easy thirty lbs. right off of the nose. Now I am thinking Crites bumpers and brackets?

My car is like Roy's in that we both use the old Kelsey Hays 4 piston calipers and disc brakes. I doubt they are any lighter than drums? For light weight you could go with some Wilwood stuff.

I also have looked at the TCP control arms. I like all of the adjustment you get without those damn shims plus the roller bearings are a plus. Brian

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;Ken has those front end pieces on both his Comets,see if he knows the weight savings.If nothing else they do give you more adjustments and freer movement.Save your lunch money and get some aluminum heads on that 351C!!!! ROY.

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Larry;it is about time you got rid of those disco era wheels!!!!! What color is/was the 64? ROY.

7. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

I am glad to hear you guys are putting the Comets on the Diet Program!! I put the Wilwood Disc Brakes on all Four along with the correct Master Cylinder with Teflon Braided Stainless lines on the front and rear flex line. Don't forget to use Lighter Rims Front and Rear. Those old drum brakes just don't want to stop after 125 mph. I knock off over 100 pounds of weight which made up for the Roll Cage, Big Battery and the Lakewood Bellhousing. The bad part is the cost! So we can beat the Chevys with the SB 400, We call them Hillbilly Big Blocks up here. ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

8. I have wanted to get rid of those rims for a while, just got so many areas that need work it has been on the back burner. The 64 is a very oxidized and weather beaten Aztec Gold.

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Larry;I just HAD to give you crap on the wheels!!Cragars will look great on your Comet!! I hear you on priorities!! Aztec Gold,I could not remember the name for that color!! ROY.

10. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Take it from me, Cragars are HEAVY!!! My rear 15x7's alone weigh in at a hefty 26 pounds per rim !! I'm trying to shed those hefty Firestone slicks as well. They weigh (GASP!) 42 pounds EACH. On paper, my new combo should be at 33 pounds, less than half.....

This is my first weight saving measure on my Rocket, and it'll be the easiest, but not cheap...

11. Merritt

Merritt

Thanks b.g, The Willwood brake package is what I am looking at. I see Steve McBlanes car doesn't use the tubular a-arms, must be a reason.

Cragar has some new one piece SS wheels that I believe are much lighter but they are not race wheels, could probably be used on the front to save some weight over the SS steel rim wheels.

12. Roy:

Next time you see ole Eric you need to smack him up side the head, you know he's a Cragar Hater!

Fast Eddie

[​IMG]

13. I know Cragar's are heavy but those center caps are too cool not to use. Might just use the new polished aluminum Cragar S/S's up front. I will have to think about some options. Maybe Halibrands out back? Like the opposite of Goldfender.
    [​IMG]

14. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

So who makes or made the lightest wheels that are still available?I can't afford Halibrands...

15. '65CycloneGasser

'65CycloneGasser

fraid not...original seats and floors are long gone. My attempts at previous owners are'nt panning out, either. Any ideas would be appreciated...brian

16. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Does it have a 9 inch rearend?Does it have a 4 speed?I have found build sheets under the seats and under the dash.Can you send me your data plate info in a private message?I have tech articles I can send you on id'ing a 289 Hi-Po.

17. SOHC427

SOHC427

Yes, Eddie, your right. I am NOT the biggest fan of Cragars. I would hate to start a fight, with all of your Cragar lovers, but American Racing Torq Thrusts, and good set of slots, or even chrome reverse, are much more to my likes. But, if you feel you need to be part of the same crowd, with your cragars, and your tiny engines, mini spools, and your NOS system, feel free!!

Haha

18. Judd

Judd

Ouch!! Smack down! LOL

19. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Comet Lovers:

Don't forget about the old Cragar Super Tricks Rims. I still have a couple sets I used them back in the 80's. They not bad looking if you want the late 60's or early 70's look! There are some nice looking 15" Rims on the market today that look good on a 64 / 65 Comet! Unless you want that AFX BFX Look.
    ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

20. '65CycloneGasser

'65CycloneGasser

tx Dog, yep, she's got a 9"... previous owner burned up the trans and replaced with C6.
    Data plate says 3 sp manual though with 3:00 gears...b

21. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

I think it has to be a code for 3.89 gears to make it a HiPo.

22. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

I jst have to stay with the Cragar's on my Comet. I had to special order my rears with a 5 1/8" back spacing. By the time I got my new wheels and new M/T's I was out some serious $$$.

Aluminum heads will be on my "in the future" engine when my old one finally gives up. There are several for Clevelands now to pick from.

I am thinking the fiberglass bumpers might be a nice Xmas present to myself? Brian

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Larry;those look like the old ET wheels,a lot were/are being used on nostagia fuel cars and old school gassers.I run my American TQs,screw the weight,I have always liked the look,plus TQs have been on my Comet in one form or other for 40+ years!!!!! I say it is your car,build it to suit YOU,screw the rest!! ROY.

24. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Hmmn. Anyone have any idea on how long I need to leave my steel wheels in a bucket of acid before they vanish???:D

25. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

HERE'S THE E-T BY TEAM 3 WHEELS
    [​IMG]

26. Yeah Roy, I am not trying to be the fastest car in the world. Try to take out weight where I can but at the end of the day I just want a fast car that looks cool. If I just wanted the lightest rims I would use the set of Bogarts I have in the barn and be done. The problem is they are ugly and modern looking. I just want a strong fairly light, but cool looking rim and I really want to use those center caps. I am not in a hurry since the motor is out right now.

27. SOHC427

SOHC427

Judd, if I didn't raz Eddie, on a very regular basis, he would come unglued, and might even start leaning towards that orange bow-tie, God forbid!
    Eric

28. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

My data plate shows a 4 for the trans code which translate to a 3.25.But the 9 inch rearend has Ford 31 spline axles and a Ford 4.71 gear.The RC Industries 1965 NHRA approved bellhousing is still installed as well as the Ford transistorized ignition.The trans is a Borg Warner T10-B.It is also a heater delete car.

29. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

You can use your Bogarts, and they'll never know. We have a trick out here in Southern California.
    Bogarts are mounted behind these "caps":
    [​IMG]
    And behind these "caps" are a set of Welds:
    http://public.fotki.com/bowtie0069/2011-irwindale-pix-1/11-17-11-irwindale-pix/img-0671.html

Ernie found a guy in Arizona that vacuum-forms are molded plastic cover, that simulates a Ford steel wheel. I'll be getting my set soon.. The best thing since apple pie- - - moonshine!!:D