Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are these wheels going to cause me problems?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50dodge4x4, Jun 2, 2005.

1. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I've got those elcheepo white spoke wheels on my 54 pickup. Been the only things on it since it was built and put on the road in 2000. I'd like to do a couple "triditional" shows this summer (like the hundert car pile up) and would hate to have these wheels screw me for entry. The truck has disc brakes, so even black steeles would have to have that "disc brake wheel" look and a set of caps would have to be the 70s style caps. If I need to change them, there looking pretty bad anyway, what do I need to be looking for? The bolt pattern is 5 on 4 1/2". I'm a broke sob, so I need some time to find a set of wheels I can afford.

So guys, whats the word? Any one got a deal on some "triditional" wheels for my truck? Gene

2. Squablow

Squablow

Some full size hubcaps should pop on right over those wagon wheels. Maybe a set of 15" Dodge Royal Lancers would look nice, or whatever. Keep an eye on those rims, some of the older ones had a really sharp peak to the triangle cutouts and had a tendancy to crack. Had a '69 C-10 with those wheels and they cracked around the triangles.

3. I'd vote for Moons (or the cheaper Speedway or Whitney versions). Otherwise, grow a mullet to go with those spokes and you'll have no problem.

4. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

you need some old style chrome reverse without caps...
    OR just PLAIN painted stock wheels with NO caps and a simple beauty ring...

anything BUT wagon wheels,

Moon disks SUCK
    so would hub caps its a truck-

Tuck

5. JasonK

JasonK

MOON'S, you'll be really impressed. I had some on a '68 Bonne. Could not have picked a better set up for it.

6. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would use moons / non brand for short $

[​IMG]

7. burger

burger

I'm with Tuck -- Moon Discs suck on anything other than a LSR.

Quick and easy would be 15" fullsize caps over your existing wagon wheels. Caddy's, Buicks, etc... I could see '53 Olds caps... (the ones with the white ripples).

Your badass factor would increase tenfold if you were to scrounge up a set of plain steel rims, paint 'em gloss black, install trim rings & chrome lugs nuts, and top 'em off with a set of wide whites. Bonus points for bias.

Ed

8. Even Moon has the cheapo Fiesta repops for $100 a set. I just added some simple scallops, just 'cuz.

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Fuck the nay sayers... Moon discs look fine on a truck... and they are way better than those ugly wagon wheels... I know...

[​IMG]

My '59 had them and after a lowering and some skinny whites it looked fine...

10. I'm Tucking too. White or cream steelies w/ a narrow trim ring and chrome lug nuts.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems hubcaps look kind of weird w/ out wide whites.

Ah hell, get some Astros and pinner whites, have all of your body panels outline pinstriped in white, and make that thing RULE!

11. Blaze

Blaze

I'd gp with a set of plain chrome reverse, but for the cheap factor I like the black plain steel wheels with a chrome trim ring and chrome lugs...but I'd definitly do one of those two...

12. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I'd have to agree with the Tuckster go with chrome reverse( even the new style would be better and cheap) or painted with trim rings.

13. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

So, if I stumble across a set of chrome reverse that ain't all rusty, I'll snag em up. Otherwise it will probably end up with a set of plain painted wheels, without white walls (can't buy new tires right now). I've already got the chrome lug nuts, trim rings might be another story, they would have to be chrome, not brushed alumium, right?

Seems to be some debate, should the wheels be gloss black or white like the bumpers? Keep in mind there will be blackwall tires. (The front tires have 1 1/2" whitewalls, but the rear tires are white raised letter, so I sure am not turning them around.) Gene

14. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Everyone has an opinion. I think white spokes are about the ugliest thing going. I have a friend with a budget 48 Ford that bought white spokers and put the full moon discs on and it looks better. I wouldn't use them with whites. It is a truck, fairly stock and they never had whitewalls or full wheel covers. Go to the junkyard and snag some 15 inch Ford car wheels, rattlecan them black and throw on some moons or dog dish caps. Bias ply tires might look cool but they are kind of old junk. They last maybe a third as long as cheap radials, don't handle or ride near as well and cost at least twice as much, and for what?looks? Forget that.
    If you need something on the cheap you can find a secent set of fullwheel covers for under $50. I just sold a good set of early 50s olds ones on here for less than that with shipping.

15. Gene, go with some moon discs or any old kool wheelcover from the 50's, bolt an old plank onto the front bumper, letter up the doors with some kool shop lettering ( don't have to be perfect; scuf half of it off to look old ),..an you got yourself a kool old shop/push truck! Throw an old hemi in the back for effect! Do it, it'd be kool.

16. atch

atch

i vote for matching the bumper color.

17. Squablow

Squablow

I like the truck with the 3 bar Fiestas. Would look better with a wide white, but at least the white wheels will show off a little 1/2" stripe of white behind the caps. And the scallops look great, you really should consider those. Porta-walls are availible for around $60/set to make your old tires into wide whites if you want to. Chrome reverse or Raders with wide white radials would look sweet, but that stuff costs money. Hubcaps are cheap and they cover alot of ugly. Steelies would look good too, paint them white, I have trim rings if you need some.