Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Is a Car Person?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony Bones, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Is it someone who simply owns cool cars or someone who owns AND works on them?

2. plan9

plan9

they like to hump sheep

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

they like to dig their hands in their armpits and then smell them very deeply

4. joerox

joerox

they fart in the bath tub and bite the bubbles

5. 2-TONED

2-TONED

this is a gooood question.

our city now has a car cruise a few times a week & since the Harley thing is dying off we have more cars being bought & showing up everyday. (thus car people)

i dont care. my life resolves around cars 7 days a week & has since i was born.

there was (still is) a chev powered 34 ford in our home garage since i was born. we logged thousands of miles in that car for years, spent every night in the garage since i was asble to walk. - i consider myself a car guy.

last night a guy (new car guy) is telling me glass cars are much better they dont rust, & just watch how many people walk over to look at his plastic car!

OK big deal. i drive a steel one because I really like the car (what i wanted)
    no other reason than this is the car i want. i dont care who looks at what have. i know when im leaving a show just what i have! (i know what i own!)

NEW NAME>>> """THE GENERAL PUBLIC""" IS GETTING INVOLVED (which is good for the hobby) AND makes for great entertainment!!! :D

6. 2-TONED

2-TONED

oh hey as far as what is a car guy: anyone is
    its just that only a handfull of the new car guys will still be around next week!

7. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

That depends on your definition of "cool"...

8. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

lmao thats the funniest shit iv ever heard:D :D :D

9. Someone who farts in the bathtub and bites the bubbles is a Fonzanoon.

I ask the question because I meet more and more people w/ nice, old cars and less and less who actually work on them.

10. burger

burger

Think Bumblebee from the Transformers... half car, half robotic person.

11. plan9

plan9

yah, dont worry... i seem to work on them, then sell.

and that is not apart of my vision

12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This even more nebulous than "what is traditional". Good luck with that.

13. You're right. I accept my mistake and apologize for it. Bumblebee was kind of cool though...even if he was a VW.

14. DrJ

DrJ

A car person is ANYONE who owns and drives their own car in New York City!

A car person is anyone who thinks a car is more than just an appliance on wheels.

A car person is someone who drives a 4wd SUV because they actually take it car camping and not just because it lets them sit up high enough to see over traffic.

A car person is someone who drives a convertible and only puts the top up if it rains a second day in a row.

A car person is someone who trades cars every two years because he can't wait three years for the next exciting model to come out.

A car person is someone who keeps a car till it rusts away because he fell in love with "Ol Betsy" and couldn't part with her

A car person doesn't lease a car for three years and trade it in just because he doesn't want to deal with it needing repairing.

A car person wouldn't think of leasing a car at all because he doesn't get that "I'm going to keep this awesome baby for ever" feeling when he's just "renting" it.

A car person drives a red car because they are exciting looking, even if it is a ticket magnet.

A car person drives a black car because it's classy looking and laughs at people who say "You should have got beige because it doesn't show the dirt."

A car person has known from birth that four door cars can never be as cool as two door cars without ever having it explained to her.

A car person can't remember their car's license plate number because they own too many to bother remembering them all.

A car person is in a decision quandry when their lover says "Either that car goes or I go."
    Actually, they would keep the car, every time, unless she's rich.... :cool:

The most important one, again
    A car person is anyone thinks a car is more than just an appliance on wheels.

15. hatch

hatch
    from house

I worked on my car once....didn't like it.....got greasy....hurt my fingers....never again.

16. Up in this neck of the woods we have folks who consider themselves "car persons" but maybe one in twenty actually work on their own cars. And of those that do, very few actually have what we would consider a hotrod or a custom car.....unless you regard Wal*Mart wheels as "custom".....:(

17. airkooled

airkooled
    from Royal Oak

To me, a car person has interest in EVERY kind of car. He may not want to own all of them, but he can appreciate them for what they are. Even if what they are is a pile of shit.

And by the way, I think the term is "car guy." It's long been accepted as a general neutral term.

18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

a "car guy" is a man who likes to think about cars

a "car person" is some kind of anthropomorphized transportation device

like the Transformer suggested above.

19. marq

marq

well over here a car guy is someone who own,talks ,works and drinks beer and talks around them.......Marq

20. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Why must we define everything?

It's like asking what is a hot rod, or what is traditional, or hell, what is rock and roll or jazz? No one definition fits it, but if you have to ask you'll never know. You know it when you see it, and everyone's idea of what it is can be a little different from everyone elses.

21. rustywrench

rustywrench

A car guy thinks about cars all the time. A car guy has a stack of car mags in the bathroom.A car guy owns at least one car that will run one day.A car guy drives something interesting to work. "Cars on the brain" I call it. A car guy can guess what kind of car is under a cover in someones driveway while going 40 mph. A car guy has radar for those flourescent FOR SALE signs.A car guy has parts for cars he never owned and never will...just because its cool to have it and neat to look at. I'm a car guy...........:)

22. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

DrJ hit it on the nose. A Car person doesn't have to live and breath cars but does see the car as an extension of themselves and not just a a transportation tool. My dad buys hondas even though hes on a a benz salary. Its an A to B thing with him. Not a car guy. I love the car, the freedom, the art, the expression, and the comraderie that comes with it. I guess thats why we are here.
    -b

23. Tony

Tony

LMFAO!
    I was gonna reply with the 'Fonzanoon' bit...but didn't think anyone else would have heard it..
    Thats an on going joke with a bunch of my goof ball friends and i.

24. I thought that was a "Quink"

Stacey

25. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

One time I tried riding sheep..............never humped one.

I'm not a car guy. Never been a guy before. Bet it would be cool at times, like when that pitcher of beer hits ya and you AINT gotta sit on that sticky toilet seat, because hovering in your heels, drunk, has just become an olympic sport. Yup, would be cool then! BUT I'd rather be a car gal. To me, being a car gal is a whole lot of things. It means being able to change my oil with the same smile I use when changing my purse. Thinking about changing my paint before my hair color. Building, driving and loving something that has now become a part of my family. Kinda like kids......but not as expensive! Driving a convert in the middle of December just because I miss her and deep down inside, I know she misses me just as much!:D When you whisper sweeter nothings to her then you do your own boyfriend. Ministry said it best, it's a love affair, my hotrod.:rolleyes: Mess with my car and I'll pull your teeth out with a greasy pair of pliers!:D Love her just as much as I do and I'll allow you to ride in her!!:D

26. I like cars....I work on car's at work (ocassionally cool car's)...I work on my own car (when I can afford it)...I have a daily driver too (that I look after properly but have no interest in).most of my friend's are 'into' car's....we gather & talk cars...we hang out in each others garages/shops/parking spots & talk & wrench on cars....

Yeah, I'm a car guy.....

Dave

27. plan9

plan9

im not a car guy, but i wish i had a pair of fun bags sometimes.

28. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Are we talkin the sort you carry on yer arm or the sort you carry on yer chest??:D :p
    Ohhhhhhh well you just let me know honey and Ms. Brandy will hook you up wit one of her "special" bags! Match your boyfriends custom or hotrod AND still manage to be an all day bag!:D
    xxx
    Brandy

***Ragdoll sells the matching hairclips for the accessory minded non car guy***

29. As has already been mentioned, a car-guy is a freakish cyborg possessing a human brain and organs integrated into a robotic chassis made entirely from cast-off auto parts. When you hear someone mention that a 'car-guy' is in the area, it would do you good to run for your life. I'd step over old ladies and small children to escape the dreaded car guy. Better them than me. Oh, and I hear that cars guys sustain themselves on a diet of 10W-40 and live puppies.

Seriously though,I think Dr.J said it well, though I don't really care to define what I think it is beyond this: a car guy is someone who can tell another car guy a mile away. Regardless of their level of skill, or how many hours a week they wrench on cars themselves, you know one when you see one. Personally, I hate cars. Loathe them even. They take all my money, time, energy and ambition and then leak it all out into oily puddles in parking lots and driveways. I hate cars because I love cars in spite of all that.

30. Guess I'm less of a "car person", more of a "wheel nut"?