Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. I liked the Thurmond Bros. roadster because it was a steel Ford body on an original Ford frame. The same type of car as the 554 coupe. Too bad it never earned the noteriety the coupe did.

2. skywolf

skywolf

3. skywolf

skywolf

4. skywolf

skywolf

5. skywolf

skywolf

6. WCD

WCD

Gary Southern was the driver for the car. Pouring gasoline and igniting it for show added to the cars myth of being ultra powerful. It was direct drive, and smoked the tires ala a typical rail of the time. The Pirahna in the other lane was piloted by Walt Stevens. I met Stevens in the early 90's and he said the car handled like a shopping cart. But when it did go straight, no full bodied car of any kind could run with it as it posted 8.30's when all went right. The astute match racers learned that its achellies heel was that it was basically a rear engine top fuel car that featured a dry block and thus was designed to fire up, whack the throttle once or twice, stage and go. The match race guys had cars that were designed for long time operation in order to conduct their rosin ritual. As they performed burn out after burn out, the Pirahna would just sit there and overheat.

7. skywolf

skywolf

Thanks for the details. :)

8. Gary Southern was a true wild man. He hung around Bud's Muffler Shop in West Covina where all us WC boys came to BS. Anytime anyone had a car that needed a fearless driver, Gary jumped right in. Joe Locosto, who drove Belmont Sanchez's Stude at Bonneville was the first driver for Roger Hardcastle in the Stinger. When they put Pat Akins' top fuel motor in it, Joe stepped out because he valued his life. Either having a death wish, or not placing any such value on life, Gary took the job, and stunned everyone making passes over 180 right off the bat. When the car was not allowed to run as a "factory experimental" at the '65 Winternationals, Gary said screw it, and qualified it for the top fuel show.

9. skywolf

skywolf

10. skywolf

skywolf

11. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Nice pics of the 'Cuda, thanks!

I saw that car at th Garlits museum. I was amazed at how "stock" the body is. All the chrome trim and such.

Marty
    Marysville, OH

12. rick finch

rick finch

13. rick finch

rick finch

14. rick finch

rick finch

15. rick finch

rick finch

Hell, I don't know......it done just blow'd up.

[​IMG]

16. skywolf

skywolf

17. WCD

WCD

This Chicago based AA/FA was the equal of anything coming out of California, including the real heavy hitters like Pure Hell, Marcellus and Borsch, et al. I think Ron-Snag- O Donnell drove it.

18. jetglo

jetglo
    from Perth

The best was 10.86 with the blower, which never ran completely right due to the fuel system, or lack thereof, and 11.77 on petrol and carbs. The oil filter thing wasn't a regular occurrence, it only happened once in my (fading) memory. Extreme sleep deprivation led me to connect the remote filter lines the wrong way around, as all night thrashes seemed to be the norm trying to get the little bugger ready to race.

It was my mum's car originally, and my first car. I learned to drive in it, and still have it after all these years. :)

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

20. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Yup..1968 would be real close....if I remember correctly the 55 Chevy is Ken McKenzie from Winnipeg. The car was an NHRA record holder.

21. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Sharp eyes there guys...the Pontiac did have a 55 Chevy front end on it. The Camaro beside it I think belonged to Bob Cruise from North Battleford. It was an original 375 hp 396 and ran A/MP with an L88.

22. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Back in the old push button days, the Torqueflite clan experimented with staging then putting the car in neutral, and at the last yellow floor the accelerator and push the D button.
    The now famous J convertor was hastened into release after a couple of these events.
    I had a C-6 look like this once, but it was years later when safety blankets were a requirement even on the renegade circuit, due to events like this one pictured. Tom S.

23. rick finch

rick finch

Pete Robinson....

[​IMG]

24. derelict

derelict

Rick, you ought to put together a book...

25. rick finch

rick finch

26. rick finch

rick finch

Darryl, I jus like lookin' at the purty pitchers...;) This stuff is all over the net, you just have to take the time to find them....

27. derelict

derelict

I used to go to Don Ewalds site. I know I could spend a couple of days there,,,

28. rick finch

rick finch

Yeah....unfortunately I think he's a squid.

29. WCD

WCD

This was his first Ford effort. I beleive thats a bored/stroke 289. The guy was such an inovator.