Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pulled over for a closer look

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rivrat, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

I drove my '50 chevy truck last night to take a buddy out who was in town. We went to dinner in down town Dallas and I had a 2-3 beers. We left to head to another place and while in route I saw a cop start to pass me, then whip in behind the truck. He followed me a couple of blocks then pulled me over. The two cops walked up and one said "I saw that you don't have a license plate light but who gives a f*ck. Sweet truck man. I had to get a closer look". Well after my butthole de-puckered I got out and popped the hood and he actually got one the ground in uniform to look underneath. Real cool guy. Better then the alternative. Maybe I'll get a plate light just to be on the safe side.

Attached Files:

2. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Cool story and cool officer. I would have been sweatin' it as well though.

3. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

I tried to stay down wind of them. He had a 67 mustang fastback and a 72 Camaro. Glad he was a car guy.

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

2-3 beers here in Mi. would have gotten you in some serious trouble. Your a real luck guy! ( I know I'll take some flack for this, but common guys,... Drinking and driving is still a really bad idea.)

5. 2-3 beers over a couple hours shouldn't get most people into trouble. I don't even think it'd give most guys a buzz. But I guess everyone handles alcohol different. Better to be safe.

Way cool cop though, it's nice when there's ones that actually battle people on the important stuff and don't try to ruin someone's day with chicken shit stuff like front license plates or license plate light out.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  6. Larry T

Larry T

Same in Texas if they would have checked. I read somewhere that anything over a beer or mixed drink an hour will put you over the limit.

Last friend that got a DWI, said it had cost them a little over $8000.00 and they weren't through it yet. Pretty expensive hobby.
    Larry T

7. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

Harms way. right on.. and no one should have to take ANY flak for pointing out the obvious,
    I enjoy a good beer now and then, but NEVER when I am driving. especially when I am driving a high visibility vehicle.
    so the cop let him go, now it will be ok to drink 5 or 6 beers???

it is never ok to drink and drive

8. pics of the truck please.

9. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

We were at dinner for two hours. Come on your going to give me flak over that. I've had a family member commit suicide while drinking and also another died drinking and driving. Both of them left kids and a wife behind. I know my limits and was far from them. "now it will be ok to drink 5-6 beers?" give me a break. I've got a lot to loose and I'm not going to be stupid about things.

10. grichards790

grichards790

I have been on both sides of this scenario! Every chance I get when I am working to check out someones ride I do it. Not only do I get to see some really cool cars but I typically create a new perception of the cops in the drivers mind. They love it that I am a car guy, especially the younger kids. The are usually shocked when I show them pics of my car.

For those who are complaining that they didnt do anything about the beer, hold on. I can assure you during their conversation they were making observations not only about the truck but the driver and his potential intoxication. I dont abdicate drinking and driving but I also think it is possible to have a beer or 2, situation dependent, and to still be able to legally drive a car. The 1 beer, glass of wine or shot of hard liquor per hour is a good rule of thumb to use as the human body can typically remove that amount of alcohol from the body in one hour, there are other factors that affect this, but it is a good rule of thumb to follow.

The bottom line is each of us should know when we are okay to drive and when we arent. Cool story and I am glad you found that there are some cool cops out there that really care about hot rods!

11. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Actually it takes 24 hours to alcohol to leave your body. You could go to bed at 2am completely wasted and wake up the next morning and go to work and still be very intoxicated and very over the limit.

I'm young, I'm 23 years old, and i don't drink. I went to one of the biggest party colleges in America so i could study what i wanted. Throughout high school and college i watched people lose their lives, close friends lose their lives, because they chose to drink and drive OR because someone else chose to drink and drive and hit them.

My boyfriend is a 24 hour tow truck driver/mechanic and a volunteer fire fighter. He's seen the worst stuff you can imagine including one guy driving home from the bar one evening completely wasted, crossed the line and plowed over a guy on a motorcycle. He literally ran him right over. Needless to say the guy on the bike lost his life and his family lost him. The drunk driver on the other hand, was extremely angry that the police were an inconvenience to his evening and he had absolutely no clue that he had just killed someone. How do you think he felt once he sobered up?

If you had 2-3 beers and were terrified enough to think you were getting a DUI then you shouldnt have been driving. I'm not going to preach but take into consideration the other people on the road and how they could be the unfortunate victims of your night out on the town.

12. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

This is exaclty why you check that all your lights work on a regular basis. A small light gets you pulled over and even a couple of beers can get you in trouble...

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Damn - this turned into a drinkin' & driving thread , lol !

Back to the original point of the thread ... it's cool that he was a cool cop (I know of a couple too) . It DOES scare the shit out of ya when the lights come on doesn't it ?!?! Hopefully you made a pal on the force now . Now post more pics of the truck ;) .

14. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Here's the truck. I know a lot if people on here don't like this truck. But for the people that do..here you go.

Attached Files:

15. X 2 on grichards 790. Was a hoot to see the cool cars drivers face when you made the traffic stop. Got to see some real nice rides.

16. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

There are come cool cops out there and I enjoy a couple cold beverages with them from time to time as well.

I wasnt "Terrified" I just didnt want to deal with the hassle. I always get that feeling when I get pulled over.

17. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

Went to the street rod nationals in Memphis in the early 70's in a t bucket along with several other local rods and we got stopped half a dozen times , mostly in smaller towns,
    by cops who just wanted to look and ask where we were headed. Most of them had old cars at home themselves. Like the HAMB , it's not so much who you are but whether you love the cars and friendships that come with them.

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It always seems to give me the BG's when I see flashing lights behind me , I know that much !

Nice truck , BTW

19. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Well said Fleetbob50

thanks Palumbo

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep here too. You don't have more than one around here unless you bring a spare driver to drive home.

But a couple of beers "with" a full meal over couple of hours isn't quite the same as going down to Joe's place and having 2-3 beers on an empty stomach either. After loosing their older brother in an alcohol related accident 21 years ago my two kids now 27 & 33 and male and female always did the one gets to drink and the other drives thing when they went out. One of my former students is a WSP patrolman in this area and every year since he started he has been in the top ten in the state for making dwi arrests.

Yep those lights that are missing or don't work are the reason that a lot of drug mules coming up hwy 97 through Oregon don't make it to Washington with their load. A favorite excuse to pull a rig over and check the rig over. Which reminds me, my daily still doesn't have a license plate light and hasn't had for about 30 years.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  21. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

I did get front row Valet parking at the restaurant we ate at. they parked it infront of a Porsche Carrera S, and 2 new corvettes.
    And before you guys rag on me about valeting. In down town Dallas, 99% of the nice restarants make you valet because there is nowhere to park. Also his company was picking up everything........even my 2-3 beers.

22. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

So a cool truck is probable cause?" I can assure you during their conversation they were making observations not only about the truck but the driver and his potential intoxication."

23. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

Best thing out of dallas is I-45 South. I can't stand those freeways and loops.

24. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

Folks acting like they've never had a couple of beers and drove home. LOL

I almost got 11 years w/o alcohol since I got tired of it and figured my $ is better spent on my hobbies and family.

25. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Moral to the story: When in Dallas it is okay to drink and drive if you are in a cool truck.

26. Here let me help you. I don't know what constitutes not drinking. I have a glass of wine with my big sis whenever we are together. If I am at the HAMB drags I have a beer with the Pharos. That's about it.

Anyway, when I first got on the HAMB I was on my way to the Raven's on I 470 in my Galaxie. I wizzed past a speed trap and low and behold a ways up the road I noticed this officer with his lights on. So I pulled off on the shoulder. The officer walks up and I hand him my license and he says "I don't need that" then proceeds to tell me I was going right on the speed limit when I passed him. OK I'm confused :confused: so he continues to tell me that the old ford sounded pretty good and he just wanted to take a closer look and hoped he hadn't inconvenienced me. Inconvenienced? Oh hell know inconvenienced is loading me up in the paddy wagon.

A couple of years ago I am cruising though Raytown in the Pusher, I notice a local leo following me so I am minding my Ps & Qs (does anyone know what that really means?) I pull into the parking lot at the ciggertette store and notice the officer followed me in. I am prepaired to get harrased for something. When I come out he is standing by my truck and I say is there a problem officer? no no problem he just wnondered what was under the hood. I say well the hood opens, he said no it wouldn't be right to open someone's hood without permission. So I pop the hood and he goes, "Wow I wasn't especting to see this, its so clean." I gave him a smoke we shot the breeze for a bit and both went on our merry ways.

27. OldTC

OldTC

Every now and then I come across a thread with a handfull of posts in it that makes me shake my head in amazement.

This is one of 'em.

28. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

yeah tell me about it bunch of hippocrates.LOL just kidding guys.

29. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i had a highpo pull me over and looked at my car... we talked for about 30 minutes,,, he was pretty cool...

30. Who doesn't like your truck? I'll take it, if you feel pressured by the website. =)