Register now to get rid of these ads!

couple of questions about a 302 SBF

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys_truck, Nov 16, 2011.

1. willys_truck

willys_truck

I have a 302 in my 65 f100 and I have a couple of questions. The 302 is a 91 model with 42,000, the engine was torn down and checked out, everything checked out good at the machine shop. So, I had the cylinders honed and went back together with the short block with new rings and bearings. The engine came with a roller cam in it, so I went back with new ford racing roller lifters and a new b303 roller camshaft with new stock length pushrods for a roller 302. I bought a set of new gt40p heads new in the ford boxes and bolted them on with the stock rockers. The engine has a edelbrock performer intake with a 625cfm carter carb. The engine has probably 4000 miles on it now, I am having 2 problems. The engine takes forever to warm up, if it is hot outside it warms up to 120 in about 6 miles of driving, if it is say 35 outside, the choke will still be on and the temp hand will not even move after 6 miles of driving. Is this normal? I changed the ther. out last saturday just to make sure that it was not stuck open. And the other problem I am having is top end clatter, it has had top end noise since first startup. Performance is good, and the engine runs great, the top end is just noisy, any suggestions? THANKS

2. how are the heater hoses routed?

3. ReevesRacing

ReevesRacing

Hydraulic or Solid lifters?
    What temp is the thermostat?
    What water pump?

What is the operating temp after 30 minutes of driving?

4. willys_truck

willys_truck

One off the water pump going to the heater core and one off the intake going to the heater core, but they are shut off with positive shut offs.

5. willys_truck

willys_truck

Stock hydraulic roller lifters, 180 degree thermostat. It warms on up to 180 after 30 minutes, that may be normal,just seems to take longer to warm up than usual. It has the complete front dress from a 66 fairlane, the water pump is new.

6. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

I have about the same setup that you are running but I run a 195 degree t stat, give this a try I think it will do what you are looking for.

7. willys_truck

willys_truck

I took a 195 out last sat., it acted the same way with the 195 and 180.

8. leroys85coupe

leroys85coupe
    from usa

check the pushrods like if you was setting lash, crack e set i when i starts to close set e they could not be the right length. wheres the temp sending unit at

9. ReevesRacing

ReevesRacing

I would be more worried if it got hot real fast. Its more about how long the engine has run than how far you have driven. Yours might be just a little more cold blooded. Think postive. less heat = less friction = well built engine.

I would assume this isn't your first rodeo as far as setting valve lash with hydraulic lifters but just to be safe, you do know that you set the lash on the lowest side of the cam and spin the pushrod with your finger and thumb while tightening the rocker. Once you can't spin the rod, go about 3/4 of a turn down and that should center the seat in the lifter and take the slack out. The oil pressure will adjust it from there. If you go back through each valve with this technique your clatter should be gone. That is unless you have some part compatability issues.

10. 65COMET

65COMET

First thing is aluminum heads take longer to heat up,my Comet hardly runs until at least 140 degrees.Most of the aluminum heads require a longer pushrod,usually around .100 longer.Ford sells a +.100 pushrod for just such occasions. ROY.

11. willys_truck

willys_truck

The heads are cast iron gt40p heads, this is my first ford build. Have build a lot of sbc, but not fords. The heads have the rocker arms with no adjustment, they just tighten down. I set the rocker arms up on the engine stand and they felt pretty good, I will pull a valve cover and see how they feel now. Everything on the top end is stock, so I thought it be ok.