Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Losthope's 1966 c10 low buck build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LostHope, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like where this is going... I think I need a c10 too, hahaha

2. lukey

lukey

Love the grille! Trucks really coming along.

-LUKEY-

3. Looking great man. I'm working on a 63 C10 shorty stepside with a crate ZZ4/4l60e, and a 64 shorty fleetside that is nearly original 292/4speed

How much drop do you think there was on each of your trucks? I kinda dig the drop on your old truck, how much do you think that was?

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. tragic59

tragic59

That wheel treatment makes the truck, man. Nice job.

5. LostHope

LostHope

your asking the wrong guy on the drop thing i could never tell 2/4, 3/5 thing ,,LOL i just cut coils tell i like the look and feel that im not going to far , the first truck had the front coils already cut when i got it and the rear was bagged without a c-notch so it was still stock frame and in that picture it wasnt all the way air out....so i have no clue sorry man!

thank you buddy! whens the next event that we can hang out again turlock??? im walking now so you dont have to push me in my wheel chair no more HAHAHA.

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. That's cool man, I understand. I'm running 30x9.50x15s on one, and the 63 came with a set of 245/75/16s on it. I'm doubting I'll be able to go anywhere near that low with either of those sets of tires...

I'm thinking I'll buy a set of 3/4 springs to try on the step side.

Thanks again, and it's looking good!

1Nimrod likes this.
  7. tragic59

tragic59

I need to get the exact dates for Turlock, but I am definitely down to hang out again... Especially, if you don't need to be pushed around in your stroller anymore!

8. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

9. LostHope

LostHope

Not much of a update just some stuff i picked up and put on....First off i wanted a tach but i forgot the other aftermarket gauges were black and bought a white one and destroyed the packaging before i realized it was wrong ,so I maybe swapping it out later for a black faced gauge, and then i picked up a Re-pop classic accessory flashlight and holder that goes on the column, the column was to big to clamp it around so i modified the flashlight bracket to use the tach to hold it to column, it wasnt a vintage one so i didnt fell bad...

Tach:
    [​IMG]

Accessory flashlight:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

looking good man! Ive been wanting another one since I sold my 61.

11. LostHope

LostHope

Well i picked put some blue dots and decided to try and install them on my old lens, ive drilled lens before but it is always risky chipping or cracking them,i know from experience! So i tried a new technique which worked well for me that you guys might like it....

Stock lens:
    [​IMG]

On these lens there is round ridges on the back side the bloue dots need a 15/16 inch hole and the(hard to see) the deepest ridges in the center are 1 inch so lining up the center was easy:
    [​IMG]

I tool i will be using is socket on a extension that measures 15/16":
    [​IMG]

Over at the stove i heated it up:
    [​IMG]

And then line it up right in the center and let it melt into the lens..This part stinks a little!......i had to reheat and melt a couple times to get all the way thur:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

next was install the blue dot's:
    [​IMG]

Twist the prongs with pliers to hold the glass in and everything to the lens:
    [​IMG]

Presto!!:
    [​IMG]

Installed:
    [​IMG]

Apply power:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I couldnt get a good angle with the camera with out it blinding the picture showing the blue dot part but they are quite blue! ill have to get a night time shot!

Hoped you guys liked it!!!

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. Looking killer man. Keep them coming. I'll have to do a thread on my 1964 here before too long as it's nearing road worthiness. Nice to see other people out there still working on this generation. I'm the only person in my area in to them.

1Nimrod likes this.
  13. Future Stock

Future Stock

Great low buck work. Low buck is the only way to go these days.

1Nimrod likes this.
  14. LostHope

LostHope

Well since i have a car that's my custom style car , i decided that the truck was going to be influenced by the lowrider style and build it with some "bomb" flavor, So i added more accessory stuff to it:

first i added a peep mirror shade:
    [​IMG]

Then window vent shades:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steering wheel spinner knob:
    [​IMG]

Pipe holder ,i actually do own a pipe that I puff on at my pops house i just got to remember to bring it back next time im there.
    [​IMG]

Then i replaced the plastic crap the auto store's sell you for windshield wipers for these trucks that dont work worth a crap:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wanted to buy "cat eye" headlight covers ,but didnt know if i wanted to run the "jeweled headlight visors also so i bought one too see what it looked like im kinda digging it...thgats why only one headlight has a visor in these pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had robbed the cd player out of the 66' to put in the 73 bug i picked up for the ol' lady ,so then i was given a brand new cd player that was missing the face plate,I also needed a cd player for my 54 ford so i looked up the model number and went out and bought the same exact one, now i just swap the face plate between my two cars,so i pretty much got two brand new cd players for the price of one pretty smart i think :metal:
    [​IMG]

I also added the red vent window "breezies":
    [​IMG]

until next time.......

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
    1Nimrod likes this.
  15. LostHope

LostHope

Latest up date:

Went to pick-n-pull on thanksgiving weekend when everything was 1/2 off,and got some front bumper brace's, a 1 1/4 sway bar off a 80's c20 and then pulled a rear sway bar off a camero it all came to $35:
    [​IMG]

First thing i wanted to tackle was the rear sway bar, after taking the links of the ends of the bars(because they will be installed opposite of the way the came off camero) I mocked the bar up:
    [​IMG]

the brake bracket on the axle has to move and since i didnt want to undo the brake lines i just carefully cut it off:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then i centered the bar on the axle:
    [​IMG]

used the old wear marks to mark the axle:
    [​IMG]

then since the camero axle is 2 3/4 the saddles have to be ground out to fit 3" axle:
    [​IMG]

Then bolted it all together had to bend the tips of the ubolt back to 2 3/4 to go thur the saddle using some big pairs of channel lock pliers saw somewhere else someone welded the saddles on but i wanted mine to be bolt on:
    [​IMG]

i the let the truck down and the frame was resting on the bushing hold downs so i had to move mine over since my truck is so low with out a c-notch, once i get my c-notch ill see about moving them back over to the very end:
    [​IMG]

next i mocked up the link bracket and drilled holes and as you can see their is about a one inch gap where the bracket will be bolted on the link on the bar:
    [​IMG]

All they had at home depot was some thin walled square stock so i just bought some big nuts and used them as spacers and bolted it together and it is strong as hell if i find some solid stock of aluminum or thick walled square tubing ill redo it;
    [​IMG]

Then i measured for my link,you want the bar to be parallel with the ground for the bar to work right:
    [​IMG]

Measured where to cut the link spacer and i am using a new bolt thats threaded the camero had a bolt with a shoulder that the threads only went so far:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bolted it all in and cut the excess of the link bolt and its installed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

everything was repeated in steps on the other side the only thing left to do is make a new bracket holder for the brake lines. I plan on doing bed wood, rear tank and c-notch so i didnt worry about painting it untill i take the bed or the bed wood out plus it match's the rest of the under carriage . next up front sway bar!

1Nimrod likes this.
  16. LostHope

LostHope

Since Im waiting on my front swaybar frame brackets to be made and shipped to me i decided to tackle some small stuff I've been putting off,first i wired in some headlight relays which made a huge difference,sending the power straight thur the relays to the headlights bypassing the headlight switch,much brighter:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then i extended the stock throttle linkage arm so the rod is level when it pulls:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then i was crawling around under the back off the bed of the truck looking at how i wanted to relocate the rear shocks i saw something sitting inside the rear frame,it was a magnet key holder pulled it out,pried it open since it was rusted together and found some keys, gas cap key,ignition key,door key...the gas cap is long gone, the ignition was punched when i received the truck so i have to replace that, but the door key worked on both doors now i have a key!! SCORE!
    [​IMG]

Not a whole lot done but something.

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. Sway bar? Brighter headlights? What, do you want to live forever??!?!;)

Cool deal man. Looking great.

18. Trust me he needs all the help he can get!:)

1Nimrod likes this.
  19. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

Where did you find the center bullets?

BTW, this build is great!!! I'm on the same budget build plan. :D

1Nimrod likes this.
  20. LostHope

LostHope

lug nut king heres a link:http://lugnutking.com/ i think they are 8 bucks each i suggest getting 5 because one you will use to gauge the hole and it gets pretty scratched up since its just aluminum, i got 4 but already have 1 more ordered and waiting for it to come to replace the one i scratched up, the guy is cool he said everybody calls back and orders a 5th one LOL

And to everyone else the guy "Chaddilac" that posted below this post designed my car clubs logo and what we used for our plaque in my avatar and did a killer job need something designed go to him!!!!...there's my shamless plug.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
    1Nimrod likes this.
  21. chaddilac

chaddilac

rallyamerica.com has em cheap!!!

1Nimrod likes this.
  22. Sentimental 65

Sentimental 65

The truck is dope and love the color.

23. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks everyone on the compliments on the truck, I havent been able to work on it for the past week due to my 93 year old grandma having a stroke, i had been staying at the hospital out if town until she passed away on Monday due to the congested heart failure she had been fighting the stroke just did her in....When i got home the swaybar mounting brackets i was waiting on showed up so thats what i been working on:

lowered swaybar brackets:
    [​IMG]
    ground off the rivets and drilled some holes and mounted them:
    [​IMG]
    Used some dollar store oven cleaner to clean up the sway bar and bushing brackets i got at pick-n-pull:
    [​IMG]
    painted the brackets and swaybar:
    [​IMG]
    Then after fighting getting everything lined up i bolted it on, as you can see i needed the the swaybar mounting brackets(lowered type) because the power steering box hangs lower then the stock steering box:
    [​IMG]
    Heres a picture of the swaybar next to the idler arm fits tight on this side also:
    [​IMG]
    everything works and steers just fine!!!:metal: I took a couple pictures of it out on the street so you guys can see that it does drive:lol: got to adjust the brakes next..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  24. LostHope

LostHope

Another update!

Didnt get alot done since the holidays are here but did remembered to grab my smoking pipe while i was at my dads house on Christmas and he also gave me one of his many dash compass's he has:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And i did make it out to the local pick-n-pull and while snooping around picked up some small stuff,the previous owner took the front clip apart but never put all the bolts back in so i snagged some off a couple diffrent 60-66's trucks, then i found a washer bottle and bracket on a gmc , then pulled some jeep door checks/stops, and last thing i grabbed was a window gun rack:
    [​IMG]

while the washer bottle bracket and gun rack paint was drying i installed the Jeep Cherokee door checks, i used the front door checks because they have a shorter throw then the rear ones, or the stock ones so they help from getting the door dents(smiley face's) and will hold the truck door open on a hill but the front jeep checks have the double postion bumps and i didnt want the first position at all so i ground the first bump off:
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see how the front jeep checks hold the door back from getting a dent you can see the difference with the existing dent from when the stock ones were in:
    [​IMG]

when i was done with that i bolted the washer bottle on:
    [​IMG]

last thing i did was cut down the gun rack and drill new mounting holes and mounted it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Since here in California i dont think its legal to drive around with my shotgun in the window i just put my trusty baseball bat in and will use the top of the rack for my fishing pole:D
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  25. tragic59

tragic59

Rad progress Timmy. Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Next time I'm in town, we need to get together.

26. LostHope

LostHope

thanks buddy sorry i missed you the plan was to meet you guys and hang out before the grandma thing happened, but glen said you may becoming back up and putting on a tattoo party I'd be down to get some ink...

27. LostHope

LostHope

So I had one wheel locking up when i would step on the brakes so i tried driving in reverse for quite a while to get the brakes to self adjust but had no luck?? one wheel kept locking up and skidding when i hit the brakes so i jacked to truck up and tore into the drum brakes.....the previous owner said he got the truck out of a field and the old man he got it from used it as his farm truck, from little signs here and there i believed him, but when i opened the drums up it was confirmed with all the dirt and straw/hay caked in side them, there was no way the self adjusters would ever work:lol: and the two front wheel cylinders leaking brake fluid was the culprit of the wheel locking up....So i scrubbed and cleaned everything and replaced the worn out shoes and some of the springs on all four wheel's and the two front wheel cylinders....wanted to replace everything from drums to brake hose's but money didnt allow for that at the moment just did enough to get it driving:
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Great build, My wife wants a 65 c10 so im sure ill end up with one around here...

29. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Just a thought on the brakes, last year my c10 had a leaky wheel cylinder so I decided it was time to rebuild both drums...new guts, springs, pads and turned the drums. The minute I pulled out of the driveway the driver's side kept locking up and wouldn't quit. I pulled everything, inspected, bled, cursed and still nothing. Went through that routine a couple of times until it occurred to me that I should switch the sides of the drums. There was a slight difference in where the "edge" was in the drum and after that she stopped like new. :rolleyes:

Probably basic knowledge to the real wrenches out there but it sure messed me up for awhile.

1Nimrod likes this.