Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Healey

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HealeyRick, Nov 13, 2011.

1. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

The small block Ford and T5Z are up and running in my 1963 Austin-Healey 3000. Come along for a ride:

[​IMG]

2. Always wanted to do one! 327 Chev power. Nice!

3. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Rick thanks for sharing the video. I had a 60 - 3000 with a 327 and a 4 speed. Something was forever breaking but it was fun while it lasted.

Very nice.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just louvered a hood for a 289 powered 3000 - 100 4 the other day! I hope I got all of the numbers right on that one! It's the slick one with the two posistion windshield... Too cool!

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there must have been 10 of those Healys at the Ironstone Winery Concours last month in Murphys California. none had the 289 option though.:D

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet sounding car that sounds like it really likes it's new drivetrain. I dreamed of having one set up like that years ago when they were affordable but even a project car with a broken six would be way out of my budget now.

7. Rick, which cam and what carb?
    Sounds great.

8. Algon

Algon

Cool now go find an XKE to embarass...

9. krooser

krooser

I like the bonnet strap..

But you wimped out on the power plant....

[​IMG]

10. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Very cool! My dad bought one of the last ones, a '67, brand new. I learned to drive in it back in 1978--heel and toe, double-clutch downshift, the works. My dad toyed with the idea of "Cobra-izing" it but thought the better of it. Sold it in 1980 for $4000. Love the glass-pack sounds from your SBF version!

Dad just after buying ours new in 1967:

[​IMG]

11. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Sounds awesome! :D

A customer that used to come into my old man's healey resto shop had a 289 in a 100-4. That thing was crazy fast. I think I've mentioned it on here before, but make sure you have some kind of solid link to keep the engine/transmission from shifting fore/aft. The healey's had theirs on their transmission, a feature that was unintentionally eliminated when this customer's car was swapped to the 289/4 speed he had. The result was that the engine/trans were only rubber mounted, and during an autocross the engine shifted forward far enough for the fan to eat the radiator.

I know I've posted that story somewhere before, so forgive me if this is the second time you've heard that...

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That do sound good!!!

13. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Motor is a 5.0L from an Explorer with GT40P heads. Cam is a Trick Flow Stage 1. Manifold is an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap and the Carb is a Holley 570 Street Avenger. Dynoed at 345hp at the crank. Mufflers are Spintech Cruisers.

14. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

I tried this engine swap back in 1973 (289) it was a none roll up window Healey something about the oil pan come's to mind?
    I sold before it was completed. Racked my brain for more on it - I give up.
    Glad you done it looks and sounds good.

15. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I've always loved those big Healys ! There was a black one at the Orange drags last September with a 63-65 vette fuelie unit on a 327. Man, that thing ran like stink !!!!

16. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

NL - You nailed it, it's a 100-4. It's the original and that fold down windshield is a thing of beauty.

Krooser - Amazing that Norm Cowdrey was able to keep that Ford motor in without a big old leather strap across the hood.

Cut55 - What a great picture of your Dad and his Healey.

17. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Hey, you got a spare Healey chassis kicking around. Get to it!

18. Paul B

Paul B

I owned a 59 -100-6 back in High school 327 w 3 speed, frost grape candy lots of fun for a 17 year old. Sold it for $900.00 put it down on a 67 Mustang Gt fastback 390/4speed.

19. Thanks for showing us the video. SBF's are a natural in the big Healey. I had my hands in a few of those conversions in the 60's and 70's. They are nice simple cars.

Charlie

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

a couple of pics from the Gooduys Show in Pleasanton, CA over the weekend - '59 Austin Healy Sprite with a late model Chrysler Hemi, trick suspension which is part Corvette - don't know any more about it except what I overheard. well built - must be a hand full.

Attached Files:

21. Slonaker

Slonaker

My Dad had one, too. He sold it when I was born because it didn't hold three plus a diaper bag very well. :eek:

The old man would have really liked yours, HealeyRick!

[​IMG]

Slonaker

22. 15ASedan

15ASedan

Thanks for the video.
    Here's one from a central California show:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I love these Healeys. The sbf swap is actually a really smart move and gets about a hundred pounds off the front end. Nice looking car and fun video. :)

Don

24. Algon

Algon

Ya I know but I've got enough unfinished projects right now... My grandfather blew up the Healey "lump" as I've heard it called and replaced it with a worked 283-later a 327 in the 59 100-6 he used to mess with. I remember him telling me about twisting the spokes out of it often enough that he made a set of wider rims, with solid plates behind the spokes so it would still look stock... If don't get a serious buyer I'll toss the front suspension under the bench for my someday late 50's special.

25. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

There was a blue one with a SBF in it at the mighty Mo in the late 60s. I don't know what rear it had but the front wheels were the factory wires and the rears were chrome reverse. The only give away to what was hidden under the bonnet.:D It had a reputation of being a fast car for that time period. It was the only V8 one around so it stuck in my brain.

26. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

well, unfortunateleyi cant see/hear the video, but the bay looks great.
    I like those low weight to power ratio cars. It looks like its squeezedin there thou. ;)

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have always wanted one of these with a healthy V8 and std trans, looks like alot of fun!!