Register now to get rid of these ads!

hydralocking your hot rod.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brandon, Oct 22, 2011.

1. brandon

brandon

How many times can you do this , before you tear something up...?

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Not many times, the connecting rods don't like being pushed against an immovable object like water. I was in the marine industry and inboard engines would get this all the time when the exhaust manifolds would rust through. It generally resulted in a rebuild or fresh motor.

Don

3. brandon

brandon

This time was way different than the god knows how many times before.....would have sworn the starter broke off ....:eek:

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have seen the starter actually crack off, and stuff like stripped teeth on the flywheel, bent rods, etc. If one of the valves is slightly open the water will go out, but if they are closed, it becomes what you have there.

How and why are you getting water in the cylinders.......bad head gasket?

Don

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

Usually F's something up the first time.

At least when I see it.

6. brandon

brandon

Rain....had a plastic bag over the air cleaner but........usually I catch it at the click....this time was different, but car runs fine.....think im going to pull pan off and take a look.....still have another month of racing to go.....lol:D

7. gas pumper

gas pumper

Do a compression check. You could have one sort of pretzeled rod there and it will run OK. Just a little low comp on one hole.

I had a 350 with a bent rod. It still ran fine, but it wasn't a race engine. Found the rod bent when I took it apart.

8. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Hydra is a multiple headed sea serpent. You may be thinking of hydr-O-locking

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Harbor freight has small tarps and bungee cords and you could likely get out the door for less than $10 :p And you say this has happened before :confused:

10. Larry T

Larry T

I always thought it was hydraulicing.
    Larry T

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 57 fuely did this years ago--the early Rochester units were famous for leaking fuel by after shutoff--was a fresh engine--bent #1 rod and cracked the block!! Fixed it with a electical fuel shutoff in the spider line back then--still inplace and has never happened again.

12. Yep, had it happen with a 58 and 60 Fuelie that leaked overnight.
    My buddy Joe and I changed the bent rods bot times.
    We went with an electrical micro switch to stop that nuisance problem.

13. It will bend the connecting rods and turn the crankshaft into a chop-saw !!! A few revolutions with the crank chopping on the pistons and the bottom of the piston is gone. Then all hell breaks loose !!! >>>>.

14. Larry T

Larry T

It's also real rough on bearings. You'll scar a bearing a long time before the rod bends. If it's a race engine, I'd for sure drop the pan and check the bearings. Even if it's just to make it through the rest of the season. The wear pattern on the bearings could tell you something about whether the rod is bent too.
    Larry T

15. brandon

brandon

Fairly easy on a old coupe without a hood.....guess most people keep them in the garage when it rains....or shines

16. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Had a case of that happen in a 355 Chevy powered boat once (Hydro-locked). Sucked in some water and stopped the motor. I got lucky and it still runs perfect after a head gasket change and head resurface.

17. Ole don

Ole don

When in doubt, pull the plugs and spin it. I had open top air cleaners and got rain water in the engine. My buddy said "aw crank it up". I pulled the plugs and darn near drowned him. Those air cleaners were replaced that fall.

18. brandon

brandon

Done it so many times, can pulls plugs, spin and reassemble in about 5 minutes....lol . About drown the kid yesterday

19. Cantstop

Cantstop

buddy did it to an OT sunbird, did it going thru a flooded street at about 40. locked up tight. We pushed it out of the puddle and broke out the socket and rachet Not really thinking well, I'd pull one and then tell him to hit it. All fun and games until 200+ degree water blasts you right in the middle of the chest.

20. Did it once at New Smyrna.
    Push starting is a bad idea.

Still have the bent rod.

21. brandon

brandon

Bent rods make great column drops....lol

22. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

One of the Holley carbs malfunctioned on my Henry J. It filled number 8 cylinder with gas when it wasn't running... when I went to start it 'chunk!' that was it for the rod. It didn't damage the crank or block though.

I would be very nervous about running a motor that was hydrolocked (I thought it was hydrauliced too). In my case, the rod bent and shortened the stroke so much that the piston wedged against the crank counterweight. From what I have been told, it can also crack the block, head, or damage the crank.

The rod from my Henry J. 327 chevy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  23. brandon

brandon

Did a compression test today....4 were 190.....1 was 185...1 was 175....1 was 155....and last was 150....the two 150's were cylinders 7 and 8....how much is not right..?:)Figure 35 - 40 is probably too much of a jump....lol

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

150 and 155 are getting down there. If nothing else, they sure aren't contributing a lot of HP to the mix. They say 10% variation is ok, maybe even 15%, but I like them to be as even as possible.

Don

25. brandon

brandon

I was liking the 185/190 range....all numbers added and divided gave me average of 175....so the 150's are still below the average....time to pull the pan

26. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

once

27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 57 fuely leaked by and did this as mentioned--bent the rod and broke the bore in #1--junked that one and started over

28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

29. I use the 10% rule too, close enough for hand grenades, very fitting in this case. Take it apart...

Bob

30. brandon

brandon