Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Buildy

Buildy

"I will be there too. Denny Z"

Looking forward to saying hi to you again this year at Stan`s!

2. Cool car.... COOL KID.......congratulations BZN,and God bless.

3. jimg12

jimg12

Ralph raced in 2000 so he could say he raced in the 40's,50's,60's,70's,80's,90's and 2000. Seven decades of racing. Can anybody match that?
    Jim

4. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Great news... God bless you and your family.
    PK

5. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Josh, YOUR WELCOME!!!!!! I had a great time helpin You,Roy,Ken and the rest of the guys out at Latimore then Lincoln later that nite. Van was a trip and to see the show you and him put on in the last sesssion was awsome!!!!! Lucky we were runnin a little late so we missed the runaway trailer and it's flipped pickup.....See Ya Soon!!!!.......Rich

6. racer5c

racer5c

did you ever find out who that was with the truck and trailer?

7. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

In the '64 seasons' races that Mario was entered in, the car was listed as the Dean Van Lines #7, Blum chassis, Offy engine. For the 500, Chuck Hulse was entered in the D.V.L. #7 Ewing, status listed as "Driver declined, injury". Same car?
    Don Horvath was also credited with taking his rookie test in a Dean Van Lines entry, but no car number is listed.

8. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Roy, Went back out there the next weekend for a family get together and and help out a friend as a guitar tech whose band was playin in York that night, My buddy that lives in that town told me the driver only ended up with minor injuries. According to what he heard the trailer popped off the ball and started movin the truck all over the road til he lost it and flipped,and the trailer kept on goin in our direction,then it did that amazing parking job between the tree and guardrail like somebody backed in there.Thank God we were runnin a little late....The show you and Josh put on in the second session was Great, It brought back alot of the old memories and to watch Van grab for the cage that wasn't there was pretty funny........Rich

9. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

that wasn't the first time van reached up for the cage & it was missing !!! the last time he did, it had one when he got in but not when he got out !!! on the mile @syracuse !!

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Congrats Bzniel! Fine job..

11. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

It was one very cool track. Dont know what the eerie part was about, but i enjoyed the place.

12. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/remains-of-new-bremen-speedway/

Remains of New Bremen Speedway

<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: separate" width=465><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>By:</TD><TD vAlign=top>milwhcky @ 2011-05-04 19:17:08 map #114347

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Description:</TD><TD style="WORD-WRAP: break-word" class=readingFont>This 1/2 mile race track opened on September 14, 1926, and closed down in 1981. It had a dirt surface until being paved during the 1966 season. Then-owner Earl Baltes chose to remove the asphalt in 1979, but the dirt surface below the pavement proved to be inadequate to race on.

When local businessmen Leo and Louis Huenke decided to create a track, but they did not want the typical horse track found at fairgrounds across the Midwest. Their banked half-mile showcased the growing horsepower of that era's race cars. The track featured traditional open-wheel racing as well as stock cars in later years.

(Read John Sawyer's two part story about the track in the May and June 2011 issues of Sprint Car and Midget magazine. Also, check out this Youtube clip filmed in 1957)
    </TD></TR><TR><TD>More Info:</TD><TD>www.teambesecker.com </TD></TR><!-- location --><TR><TD>Location:</TD><TD>New Bremen, Ohio (OH), US
    @ 40.45750300, -84.39003100
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

13. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Cap'n Crunch strikes again!

14. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Satellite imagery date: Feb. 2006 of New Bremen Speedway. What a shame. It seems logical that New Bremen could be saved because it appears to still be out in the 'boondocks,' away from sprawling development? Unlike tracks like Ascot Park and Manzanita Park in Phoenix, among others, where not even a hint or a trace of a race track exists today.

[​IMG]

15. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

captain crunch = paul pitzer /mr.excitement = van may

16. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

The New Bremen Speedway has very little left to it. It was all torn down a few years back. When the property was sold years ago it was in the contract that it could never be opened as a race track. There are different stories to that effect, But my late dad was told this personally by the man who bought the property. Who also owns a lot of property in and around town. Its a shame. I liked it dirt and paved both. After they took the pavement off just before 79 and re opened it I ran every hobby stock show there. Yes the dirt wasnt maybe the best as another poster said , but all races were run on afternoons. It would slick off and be one groove the same as Eldora always does on day shows. One of my favorite tracks.

17. jebracing

jebracing

Make no mistake that New Bremen has gone the way of all those other tracks. Sadly the grandstand is now gone.

Attached Files:

18. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

The no reuse as a race track clause falls in line with the story I heard that Earl at one point owned every track in northwest Ohio except Fremont and Wayne County ( Orroville ) and closed them all down so there would be no competition for Eldora.

19. Some sad news to report today. Bob Thomson of Centerville, Utah passed away today. He was one of my hero Sprint Car drivers when I was a kid, and I still remember a Sprint Car being washed on his front lawn on a Saturday morning before race night. Bob started racing in Northern California in the 50s after getting out of the service, and later returned to Salt Lake City to race with the Salt Lake Valley Racing Association. He travelled the North West, and back to California at times. He finished second to Dick Simon in Championship points at the Utah State Fairgrounds Speedway in 1965. One of his old cars was rescued,and restored by Rich, and Butch Pletcher, and featured in the April, 1996 issue of Open Wheel magazine.

20. PK

PK
    from Ohio

21. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

I've been going though some old stuff of my dad and mine. He died this past year and I've just started to get into some of it. This photo has Bud Williams photos on the back of it. No year. But its Dayton speedway. I'm sure its a AAA event.

22. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

First photo Jerry Hoyt #7 Bob Swiekert #5 Dayton Speedway. Second photo is Winchester speedway. Photos by Bud Williams

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  23. easter

easter

Great photos fogs58!

24. Buildy

Buildy

The last photo I can see the 98 jr-my guess is Ruttman at the wheel.

25. Buildy

Buildy

I believe that is Hoyt #7 and Sweikert #5 in the Middle photo.

26. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

You could be right. I blew the photo up to see if I could read the name on the panel and couldnt. I went by what my dad wrote on the back. I was born in 58 so this is little before my time.

27. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

This is New Bremen speedway. I dont have a year or what sanction this race was.

28. re post 16775, lead car appears to be Engle/Stanko #4,
    o/s car Malloy ???
    mlight9

29. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Great photos....whats even more interesting....look at the grandstands, they are packed, wish we could get crowds like that today. Denny Z