Register now to get rid of these ads!

United states drag racing team patch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earon1964, Nov 7, 2011.

1. earon1964

earon1964

I have a patch that says United States drag racing team. The guy i got it from said it was from 1962 and it was when NHRA formed a team of racers that went over seas to race the rest of the world... My question is. Is it what he said it is and does anyone have any more info? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. pastlane

pastlane

1962 was the first year of the US drag team

Coverage I have in hand is for the 64 season ( Car Craft Dec 64) Would have to dig for earlier coverage here.

Was a group effort to bring drag racing to England.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! There's some history there... ;)

4. 1oldracer

1oldracer

There is a book 'Crazy Horses the history of British drag races' that has the info. 1963 was the first year an america dragster Dean Moon's moon eyes driven by Dante Duce, went to England. 1964 was the first year NHRA formed the american darg team and went to England. Garlits, Ivo, Nancy, Sox and Martin, Ohio George and KS Pitman all were a part of that team. That would have been the first year of the patch, I would think.I have a copy of the book and was a member of the 1967 team. rj

5. 0ldracer

0ldracer

I agree with RJ. 1964 was the first year of the US Drag Racing Team. NHRA arranged it and invited 8 race teams to attend the first British Drag Racing Festival. The racer were Don Garlits and Tommy Ivo in Top Fuel, Tony Nancy and Dos Palmos Machine (Goodnight-Keith-Williamson) in Gas Dragster, Ronnie Sox and Dave Strickler in A/FX, and George Montgomery and K.S. Pittman in A/GS.

I'm not sure what year your patch is from, but it is a special item if it is authentic. I'm sure you will get many more responses on this....cool stuff!!

http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/rr276/0ldracer/?action=view&current=KSWillysUSSUNITEDSTATES.jpg

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I will take it!!!!............Sorry I thought this was the classifieds?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  7. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

I have one from the 1966 US Drag Team to Australia. The team was captained by Tony Nancy who had his Oldsmobile powered rear engined AA/GD supported by the Bob Keith/ Gary Goodnight/ Mo Williamson AA/GD with the first supercharged Big Block Chevrolet engine, along with Earl Poage AA/GD 392 hemi powered, Ron Colson S/B Chev AA/GD, There were two Fuel Cars Bob Mayer and George Schrieber both hemi 392 based motors, these guys showed us Aussies how to drag race.
    This team tour was the single most important thing that ever happened in Aussie drag racing, there contribution to spreading the word about drag racing was enormous. They are always well thought of and highly regarded by us Aussies. I am sure all the guys that went to England are held in high regard there as well.
    Bob Keith played a big part in setting up the English Tours and the Aussie Tour, he should be recognised for his efforts in expanding the sport.

8. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

9. earon1964

earon1964

Thanks!! This is cool!! I didnt know it had the history that it has. So sweet!!!

10. bob keith

bob keith

I was a member of all 3 U.S. Drag Teams. The first patch was made for our tirp to England in 1964. The second for 1965 to England and the third was for Australia in 1966. They all had the country and year in the middle of the patch. I have all of these and there aren't many around. If the center is blank I think it is a fake. Hope this helps. Bob Keith Driver of the Dos Palmas Machine Spl. and the Courtesy Chevrolet Spl. AA/GD of Goodnight, Keith and Williamson.

11. 33HEMI

33HEMI

12. McCandlessboy

McCandlessboy

Any chance someone knows where one of these patches is from 1964? We're filming a documentary on Buddy Martin and he discusses this trip to England.

13. guffey

guffey

this car was on the 1964 team 64 strick erik untitled (2).png

Fordors likes this.