Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Barn find or Hoarding!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CRUZN60, Sep 8, 2011.

1. What do you think. Will this help the hobby by increasing prices on our pieces parts, or hurt by flooding the market?

2. studematt

studematt

If people knew the facts this stuff almost could have gotten scraped if it wasn't for common law marriage. Lee had a daughter that died of cancer years ago. He had a 78 year old girlfriend that gets the money. She wanted to keep the museum going but they weren't married so she was not grandfathered in on the land because glenview had been tring to get rid of lee for years.

3. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just like Pickers they don't even get home with stuff they buy, stop along the way and sell for a profit. The American (Pickers) Way

4. fuzzface

fuzzface

the same guy is also selling the lincoln without the engine on ebay too that we thought was a deal.

5. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

If this is the real story it is sad indeed.I know of a few men like lee and it is a generation lost.Lee had enough passion to save what he thought worthy as the people who he aquired the things from thought at one time.
    There is right and wrong in everything but to take a mans possestions from his family or gf is wrong.
    Sometimes signed piece of paper is all it it takes to keep officials away,a marriage cert or a will may have done it but that doesnt seem the case.
    I am shure there is more to the story.
    Lee seemed like a interesting fellow,and for a few bucks now you could share his interests,I hope the money his gf gets she will enjoy as much as lee did his collection.
    Money is only dirty paper,something lee must have thought also otherwise nobody would have the chance to see/purchace any of these things.

6. i hope they guy looses hi ass
    the lincoln is about the only cqar that is close to market value....sorry real market value...not glenview market value
    tk

7. Plowboy

Plowboy

They can't all be like Mitchell. ha ha The fun would have been taking the stuff out of the shed. There are a bunch of grat youtube videos of stuff coming out of the barn....

8. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Definately some people out there who aren't suffering the effects of this supposed "bad" economy! I am completely amazed at some of the prices on things! I wonder how much of it was bought by overseas bidders?

9. Xoot

Xoot
    from PNW

Love those orphan car makes and wish the person who made the three videos fixed his camera longer on emblems and radiators. I froze one frame and clipped a pic of this shot. Thought I would be able to go to my old book American Automobiles and read about the Northbrook, but it's not listed. Google and Bing came up empty. Anyone have any info on the Northbrook? All I found was a town by that name in the same state as Hartung's home, Illinois.

Attached Files:

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Looks like a model T with an A radiator and an old hot water heater emblem on it. LOL.

11. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

HAHAHAHAHA....Northbrook is a suburb of Chicago,lol...not a car make,that is just a Model T

12. actually that was a 29 a chassis with a 22 touring body and fenders
    i kind of liked it
    tk

13. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

ITS CALLED A COLLECTION SURE U could use that stuff BUT dont you think maybe your faverot grandson would like it......... AT LEAST its all in side,another 30=50 years All the old stuff will be gone outside.

I'll die and leave my grandkids somethingS to work on. AND yes my family dont think I need 6+ peices of junk out there in my shop BUT they understand thats what I like to do..

ITS not CHEAP storeing alot of stuff inside

I know Iwont finish but maybe 1 or 2 of them BUT ITS MY COLLECTION anf it makes me SMILE to think its all mine and some guys wish they had just 1 of my COLLECTED JUNK

14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I have to say investor . collector and a man that knew the right things to buy like the Flyin Merckel . He bought it for 28 dollars and what did it sell for? He use to go to the swaps with his roadster and a trailer on the back and fill the trailer up and head home. He had a receipt / title for everything and had it all organized. It sounds like some are under estimating the man.

15. delrod18

delrod18
    from west ky

anyone know who bought the paddy wagon ?

16. 31fordV860

31fordV860

This is the closest thing to Heaven on Earth. Lee I never knew you...however your collection is exactly the stuff I love. if this is hoarding, it's very, very organized. Hoarding is stacking crap upon itself until there are mountain ranges in homes of junk..

The Bikes are amazing by themselves.

This should be renamed the Hartungsonian, and kept together as a memorial to a lost America.

17. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Seen two "collections" like (not as big) this go up in smoke due to someone not knowing how to use equipment or remembering to throw away old rags.

I've seen three small (10 cars or less) collections all get sold off to pay inheritance taxes, as well as collections go straight to the crusher because the family didn't want what was "left to them" (no interest in it) from the estate.

It's sad in my eyes that one person has it, and somewhere another wished they could afford "another $10 for that part" or "another $100 for that car".

One powerball day dream I have had for many years after seeing my grandfathers stuff after years of not being used and going to crap literaly.
    I would start a "tell me your dreams" club, either with the "auto" you have now, or one you can acquire reasonably.
    Explain to me in detail, what the "auto" would look like if I was to walk in from off the street and see it in your garage. You know most true gearheads can recite specific items off every can they owned or want to build in pain staking detail.
    Then I would pick one winner from each state annually to get $5000 for what ever they need, and hopefully that would promote our hobby for generations to come.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  18. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

You mean the school bus?

19. Sounds cool... it's been so long since I had a dream such as that but I have been gathering parts for my next Roadster and need to find another body reasonably so I can mock it up.

Once it's mocked up... the dreams really start flying!:cool:

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Did the 1909 T break $30,000? That was my pick of the collection if I had the funds.

21. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Its a school bus in its original state but dig the paddy wagon theme . It went local to acouple of Model A brothers who do highly correct restorations and is in great hands. They are on the Ford Barn and have a post going on it.

22. i think it went for 13,500
    tk

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks! I found the after auction link someone posted, the '09 brought a bit over $15,000, well bought IMO. Some of the parts lots went for really fair amounts. The Spark Plug lots will be money makers for someone.

24. fuzzface

fuzzface

that's correct and for those that didn't know or just forgot, remember to add the 15% buyer's fee of $2025 making it a total of $15,525.

25. fuzzface

fuzzface

If you are looking at the auction results on the auction site, they include the buyers fee in that figure.

26. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

The spark plugs, and the license plate collections (especially AZ and NM) blew my my mind at how much they sold for. Are they REALLY worth that kind of money, or were there just 2 "deep pockets" that really wanted them?
    Over $1000 for 3 club plaques was amazing too.......

27. fuzzface

fuzzface

the 3 club plaques surprised me too. the price tags on the smaller lots, i couldn't beleive some of them.

The bigger lots with multples, i was shocked at first but after breaking it down in my head afterwards didn't seem bad. like the spark plug lots you mentioned, at first yes it seemed expensive but now you break it down. with around a 100 on the board that brings it down to roughly $10.00-$12.00 each. now i sell old spark plugs on ebay when i find them cheap and what i sell some of them for, yes the boards went on the cheap side looking thru the internet. might be a different story up close if they were rough and unusable shape or common plugs but from looking from here there was a few rare ones on those boards.

28. How about the radiator badges... $6k each lot and it was one right after another and I believe the bidding started at $1k and went up a grand each time...!

29. fuzzface

fuzzface

I see the guy that has the Hartung cars on ebay is making a $500.00 profit on the explosive model A so far but the reserve isn't met yet. His other cars are approaching close to what he paid for them with about 3 days to go yet. i'm also just going by what he paid for them(with buyers fee) and not his actual cost like his time spent there, moving the cars, etc.

30. As of this morning he is $4,264 in the hole including all six cars.