Register now to get rid of these ads!

jalopys in question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cam-shaft36, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Awesome! Another 'What is a rat rod and how do I know if I have one?' thread.

Look, if you are all scratchy and itchy downtown and you think you have a case of the crabs, you probably do. You don't need to go asking your friends what they think. Just get to the doctor and get the professional help you need. It's not that hard to figure out. And be more careful next time.

2. voodoo1

voodoo1

How'd you find my Family photo?

3. speedyg948

speedyg948

probably gonna get a slap for this,but here goes..... if its got an engine and wheels and tires i like it! doesn't really matter to me if its traditional, hot rod, street rod or rat rod. granted some rat rods are rolling death traps, but I've seen some that upon closer inspection are fairly well done IMO...to turn a blind eye to the younger guys coming up in the hobby i think is just plain wrong because of their choices, granted this is a traditional site,but i ask the question ..when these guys get to be my age(57) what kinda cars do you think they'll be building?

4. Build what you like, if you are looking to throw a polishing party when your car is finished and invite a bunch of us over I think you might be upset with the turn out. With that said their are a bunch of great people here, who will give lots of encouragement and guidance on the way of your build. Some who will not.
    If you look at the history of the custom car, I personally cannot stand some of the goofy stuff created in the late 50's through the 60's and really kept going through the 70's finally squashed out with the "modern" car builders.

I have enclosed a few pictures of cars built early 1960's that if you were to recreate today may send out the lynching mob for you!

As for the RAT movement, It will pass (hopefully) like other trends, unfortunate for the so called lab rat's that have been experimented on.

Best of luck, I am personally proud that you are young and excited about cars, building not buying!

Attached Files:

5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Hey,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Your original post has the keyboard can rats all stirred up, but don't pay any attention to them...we all have to start somewhere, and the key to me in your first post was the word SAFE.
    There is a very fine line between a Jalopy and a rat rod....To me it is just like the word "Patina" used here very often, and abused to the hilt.....a lot of the criticizers here will post cars for sale with lots of "Patina" and they are a rust bucket of shit, so their credibility is obvious. :rolleyes:
    Stay on the right side of that line by scrounging up what you have, or can afford. Make it safe, and do your best to build it your way..
    If you are still interested in this forum, stick around. It is a really great bunch of folks, with a wealth of information........
    And good luck on what you build.
    Cheers........

6. I'm going to do like you asked, "help me out if you can", Is the last sentence in your post, here goes. I think it's pretty simple, you want to build a car that you would have back in the day, well, go ahead and build it based on what you know, and what you like, use the parts that will create the car you see in your minds eye. And don't worry about what someone thinks you have, hell I was at a cruise event about a month ago and a couple of women looked at my car and said " I just love these rat rods ". I wasn't offended, I just kind of grinned and said thanks. If the car in my avatar is a rat rod to some people then so be it, I'm not on a mission to educate people one at a time on the terminology of our hobby, I'm just enjoying it. I do not have a traditional hot rod but the members tolerate me and my car because I respect what this site is all about, I think if you do the same here you'll do just fine with whatever you build. I'm just glad to see a young gun showing intrest in hot rods, stick around.

7. Damn Bob, If I had read your post I could have saved some space, right on friend
    .:cool: Now get away from the keyboard and get to the mail box!!!!!

8. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Got it read to go!!
    But need your full name...don't know your last name :eek:
    PM me that info and it will be in the mail to you right away..!!
    Cheers,
    Bob

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Those first two pics are of the Beatnik built by "Chopit" Fioto and I'm pretty sure it was built within the last 10 years.. but dont take that wrong. Just clarification.

11. oj

oj

Well, guys, the only person not to give any continued view, respond to or just give a grunt now and then is the original thread starter - cam_shaft36 has left the house! What do you make of that?

12. TV

TV

I think it's a bullshit POST trying to pull everybody's chain.--TV

13. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Okay my last post on this subject ever :) Build what you like, post it on the hamb.

Just to clarify I have roughly 1300 posts only a handful (5-10) are me making any comments about posted threads of ratrods or streetrods. So maybe I'm not that big of a dick:D Althoug I'm a honky that's hung like a donkey, okay that was uncalled for.

Taken from the Traditional Rodders and Custom builders stand up and be counted thread.

Originally Posted by theHIGHLANDER View Post
    I see there's still a disconnect on this topic. "...build it myself..." isn't dead center of the point. Let's say my kid drops an S-10, does some radical paint and mods, all by himself. He's traditional, right? Assume all the fab, body mods, chassis mods, maybe even the interior, all done by his hands. That's not it.

In one of 'beaner's better questions, the point never was "who" did the work. "What" is the work. Suppose "Tony" come to me and says "I want..." and starts writing checks. What he wants is a 49-51 Merc, classic chop, Cad power, cruiser skirts, tunneled headlamps, floating grille, well you get the idea. Is he a traditional builder? Of course he is. He knows what he wants and what to pay and where to find stuff for his build. Now comes his cousin Andy. Shows up with a Brookville body, Lobeck frame, LS1 and 4L60. The dropped axle w/disc brakes and 18-20" wheel combo sets the stage immediately. Even if he drove it around for the remaider of the season in primer before we lay some "Hot Hues" and ostrich leather in it, well he's not traditional. Kool, yeah, but for a different mindset. That mindset is the one some of us can't get our arms around. At best we may rest an elbow on it's figurative shoulder now and then. Tony counters with a Model A cpe on Deuce rails with split bones, a Nailhead, 15" steel wheels and WWWs, well, that's because he's more traditional than his cousin. What we see now and then is that Andy's car has a select audience at any cruise or car weekend he goes to with his Brookville but Tony's car seems to reel in more lookers, more fans who may or may not even understand why they like it more. They just do. If you are an all in traditional type you know why you like it more. It's beyond a sense of nostalgia. Shit, you can be nostalgic about old hip-hop songs from the late 80s. Makin sense? Hey 'beaner, is that you I'm seein through all that dust?

14. oldsman41

oldsman41

build what you like make it safe.and learn from the ones you build and build better each time.

15. I pitty the poor guy that was first to put a small block into a Ford or Roth and his bubble-tops. Now it's traditional.

16. Ebert

Ebert

Cam,

Just do me one favor...whether you build an effing Ford or an Avanti....LEARN HOW TO WRITE AND SPELL!!! I am so tired of people who post on here and cannot spell CAT!!!!!! Fuck! My Amplifier: You get more respect when you know/take the time to speak fucking ENGLISH!!! If not, go find some audio site!!!! Damn!

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

So we're ALL dicks......even the female members???:confused:

18. dirtpoor

dirtpoor
    from maryland

Hey thanks Skidmarks.It's that weird east coast humor. Delaware and Maryland close enough.

19. Some of you guys here need to think over some of your replies, making fun of a handicap -makes you feel good I suppose- and maybe the kid is using a smart phone and that's his only way to post, maybe he has no idea of whats proper and whats not. So if it wasn't some one pulling our chain ask him use spell check and make it easy to read, do and intro, and I among a few others here will be sure to help you figure it out. Those who love to kick someone in the teeth first chance they get enjoy yourselves.

20. outlaw256

outlaw256

i just read all the pages here and now im lost.what did the op want to know?

21. norton58

norton58

What we call here in Australia VFO: Very Fucking Ordinary.

22. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Some older guys did not make it that far in school so get the fuck over it ass............................................................................................

From Ebert
    Just do me one favor...whether you build an effing Ford or an Avanti....LEARN HOW TO WRITE AND SPELL!!! I am so tired of people who post on here and cannot spell CAT!!!!!! Fuck! My Amplifier: You get more respect when you know/take the time to speak fucking ENGLISH!!! If not, go find some audio site!!!! Damn! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

23. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Normally I would agree that "the spellcheck police" could go piss up a rope, but this was a little over the top...
    In no way should it be a reflection on how far you made it in school or not.

p.s. I wont even begin with the grammatical errors...

24. Anyone besides me notice this guy hasn't been back since he poked the Bee Hive? 5 pages of us going on and on (Me included) and He or She hasn't said a word. I bet it's just a little trouble maker sitting back lurking and laughing there Ass Off. Some People,,W.T.F?
    The Wizzard

25. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

he's in the corner of his room in the fetal position wondering why.

26. rat pup

rat pup
    from houston

waste of time

27. Rat rod is a fad that is disappearing!!

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I spend like 2 hours posting photos from events I go to and have to bump them myself to keep them on the front page for a couple hours.

some douchebag says rat rod and the HAMB is all over it like stink on shit.

WTF is wrong with you people?

29. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

please use" traditional " spelling

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.