Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Vegas Baby, Vegas...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Man, are you lucky :)

3. SEMA, or any other such trade show regardless of subject matter, is the biggest and best buffet in town..................loaded with tasty delights no matter what flavor you prefer.

4. Yeah, I'm green with envy.

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Damn cool........ Great write-up Ryan.

6. FeatherWeight

FeatherWeight

You sir, can write your ass off.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'll probably never make to it Vegas. Just doesn't seem like a place I'd like to go however SEMA seems like a spectacle I'd like to see. I guess I can wait to see the So-Cal Streamliner on a more worthy platform like Pebble Beach.

You've definitely got a way of organizing words my friend. Very entertaining.

8. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

You're a rockstar!

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I get lucky every now and then... and things come together. Simple as that.

That's the thing. I'm not. But I was surrounded by a lot of folks that really are. And none of them even gave off the slightest notion that they were.

I think that's where passion comes into play. I mean, everyone has to live up to something and try to be whatever it is they need to be. But, when you throw in a passion like cars everything is equalized because all other notions are pretty much forgotten about. You can literally watch a guy lose himself, all of himself, when he gets excited about a car or an idea or... whatever...

At the end of the day, I'm one of you guys that just tripped into a setting where I got to see it up close and personal. It was a nice trip.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! That was awesome... Nice write-up!

Lived there for 10 years... Glad to be out of that place. You either love it or hate it. Not much middle ground. I've seen more and experienced more than I ever care to have experienced, in that town. Now I only go back to see my parents that are stuck there, thanks to the housing market crash, and see some of the good people that I met there along the way.

There's some good things about Vegas... My list is just short. And SEMA, is definitely one of those events I hope to return to. I really enjoyed it last time I went.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

12. Metal Mangler

Metal Mangler
    from Washington

I went to veags for my honeymoon. It was pretty awesome i have to say, but after a week we were both like yeah time to go home lol. I want to go back and visit at some point when money and time decide to collaborate. Awesome write up though, i too am jealous :)

Matt

13. the other me

the other me

Damn Ryan....you keep teasin us with such good commentary and somebody is likely to cause this thing to go to hell.....
    OH, WAIT A MINUTE....IT ALREADY DID!!!

Good write-up Ryan, thank you for taking us along.

14. Bilt

Bilt

Sweet article....at first I wasn't sure where you were going but you took it full circle. Great work Ryan!!!

15. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

I hope to meet you there next year! I've read that is quite an experience! Nice story by the way.

16. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

:D:rolleyes: I can see it now...

LasVegasChamberofCommerce
    FNG

Please apologize:mad:

17. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Nice write up. Give yourself some kuddos..you have enpowered a forum that helps/allows the rebirth of ol skool rodding. Thanks for the coverage.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

At first, I wasn't sure either... :)

19. flynfrog

flynfrog

Ryan going Gonzo?

20. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

No photos, no proof. HaHa Good article.

21. ssimpala

ssimpala

I LOVE SEMA....just not enough time to see everything. Great writing!

22. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Sounds like the Autoweek crew's master "plan" worked.....;)

Where's pics of HOOKERS and other such antics???:D

23. CRUZN60

CRUZN60

Ryan,
    I am glad you had a good time in Vegas. It has been my home town for 45 years and I love everyday of it. So much to offer.
    Glad you had a good trip.

24. rambunctious

rambunctious

my buddy and I were at the right place at the right time

we were standing at the streamliner while Vic and Alex were reminiscing about the original car and the recreation while being taped and miked. !!

we got to chat with Alex for a little while after as well.

and I do have pics :eek:)

Ramb

25. Letting your guard down around people that have a completely different prescriptive on the car hobby/industry can have a unexpected affect that can be inspiring.

We can learn a lot from each others passions if we will listen,whether it's a Dino Ferrari a Deuce Roadster or a Sopwith Camel.

I'll step out on a limb and say that the guys that AutoWeek probably learned something from that Kid from Texas. HRP

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  26. shiftervic

shiftervic
    from So. Cal.

27. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Ryan...you are a good writer and story teller. Have you ever written any books or novels? If not, you should consider doing so.

28. Drive Em

Drive Em

I was in a huge taxi line at the Vegas airport Tuesday afternoon on the way to Sema as well. The line was a Disneyland style line where it snaked back and forth and you walked like cattle inching your way to the front. I passed a guy in line a couple of times that had a hat on that said "Jalopy Journal" on it. The next time he passed me in line I asked if he worked for the JJ, and he said yes. I asked him who he was and he said, "I'm Ryan", and he shook my hand!! I felt like I had just met a rockstar. I saw Mario Andretti, Jesse James, Chip Foose, Sam Memmolo, Troy Trepanier and Stacy David among others, but meeting Ryan was the highlight of my trip.

29. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I was looking for that guy in the JJ hat all week. I was wearing my new red HAMB hat. Elusive Bastard! Probably traded the hat for a trench coat when he met up with the Autoweek guys.

30. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Ryan: Very good, Nice article. Les Have you met Art G. in vegas?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011