Register now to get rid of these ads!

jalopys in question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cam-shaft36, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cam-shaft36

cam-shaft36
    from northridge

I know I'm young.nd I know this is a very touchy subect on this forum. So pls. Ppl do not take this wrong I'm simply lookin for a general idea. The cars I build are always labled "rat rods" and what I feel I'm buildin is a true bare bones "traditional" car. Now bein a cat that feels like I'm in the wrong era all together....I feel what is now a "rat" is how ppl used to build cars. Work yer ass off and find parts that work and make things fast safe and fun but the term "traditional" is used to describe an era built car. I want opinions on what is what cause I'm a broke kid and I feel I'm buildin a car if I would back in the day.usin what I can find. Really I want clearification. Please help me out if ya can

2. What the fuck are you trying to say.........

3. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

this probably wont last long. if what you build looks like a proper car, ie- the parts you choose compliment each other( claw hammers are not shifters or throttle pedals), some form of paint( patina good-rust bad), its safe, and it doesnt look like a cartoon with the tires even with the roof it might be a hot rod. if it has a tractor grill or fresh bullet holes, well...... and the current "rat" style you speak of, nobody built shit like that until now. bottom line is if you like traditional hotrods and customs hang around here and learn a thing or two.

4. Pick up a late 1950's HotRod magazine and build one like those in the mag.

5. BISHOP

BISHOP

Who are you texting.

6. Muttley

Muttley

7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Haha ^^^ greatest first post ever!

8. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

"A picture is worth a thousand words" So...Lets see a photo of one of your cars

9. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

X2.................can't wait for his intro.........:D

10. Dblbeard

Dblbeard

cam-shaft36 - I'm considered a newbie here also, but I do have an opinion on this. Where would we be now if the founding fathers of hot rods realy cared what people thought about their cars when they were building something different.

I say, it's you car, you built it, lets not give a rats ass what anyone thinks about our cars. I built or bought a car because I like it, not because some righteous ass with 300,000,000 post likes it or not.

11. kemp kid

kemp kid

Hopefully this doesn't end soon I sure love to laugh . Subscribed

12. Its sad I know but I have giggled so hard for years!! .. I hope this poor boy has someone close by to point him in the right direction.. we dont want to lose any up and coming hot rodders

13. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

isn't someone going to "get the popcorn"? don't build to someone else's spec's. useing the word "traditional" to describe a build style has never made any sense to me. i know what people want it to mean, but thats another story. it's as if you don't adopt this strange meaning your not "hard core" or a "real" hot rodder. there's alot of really great work on this site, but sometimes it get's a bit snobby or clicky. it does'ent make it any easier when you ask people to define some silly,awkward new meaning of a word. just keep looking at some of the beautiful projects on here,and you'll soon filter out the fluff and the real stuff. oh, it's suppose'ed to be fun to. good luck to you!

14. Jimv

Jimv

You guys don't remember a first post form some "group" called the "(Something) Boys"(?) back in about 2003 or so!! Any newbies first post is nothing compared to it!!If anyone can shed a little more light on it please post it, it was great.It was also in the "germ" yerars so it was worth the reading!!lol
    This guy sounds ok, just needs a intro & direction!
    JimV

15. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Best advice pick up some Don Montgomery books and start studying what you see ( lots of early Hot Rod pictures ) . Then read the build threads on here and study up. I think you have a good start you just need to do more homework.

jim h

16. Don't worry about it. Somebody is always going to call it a Rat Rod, no matter what it looks like.
    Get over it!

17. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

huh.....

Attached Files:

18. x2^^^

Cam-shaft 36,
    There's a treasure trove of great info here on the HAMB. Build the best car you can with the skills you have. Make it functional and safe. Don't fret about others' opinions.

Oh yeah. You'll get more useful responses if your questions are grammatically correct.

19. How hard is it to spell your words complete?

20. AKA Kustoms

AKA Kustoms
    from Racine, WI

21. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Aahaha...pissed my fuckin pants!

Anyways, labels are just that, labels. And shouldnt really be that important.
    If you are satisfied w/ what you do its all fine.

Now hurry up and post pics of your car/s so we can either make fun of you or tell you how awesome of a builder you are:cool:

22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

"edumacation"---- what our kids are learning in schools these days!

23. smitty city

smitty city

i would have to agree with jalopy jim on a good reference. IMO even the magazine cars of the fifties were show cars and really not too close to the average rod on the street. another good reference might be roaring roadsters by tex smith, showing lake cars. back in those days speed and performance was the main objective, not a fashion show.

24. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

^^^^:D
    the lines between R/rod & traditional rods are really blurred,in my eyes a R/rod is a car/truck that started out as sh*t & some dumb ass with no imagination just decides to keep that theme going by welding some garbage on it or cutting it here & there,"traditional" meaning taking what you have{that same POS} or make & make it work,adapting stuff other cars/trucks to make it look newer or futurish..i been to many car shows & over heard some mouth breathing moron call a 50's ride a R/rod or some piece of sheet -a cool 50's custom???WTF!
    damn i just put my ass on the bitch line for this post!

25. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Those both sound the same..

26. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

P.S as stated above! there is plenty of books/magazine out there to search--hell even the internet can kinda help ya.i'm not here to bust your balls -if you really ment to ask the question--what the difference?

27. oj

oj

It is easy to toss together some stuff and call it a car. The hard part is that it isn't a car until somebody else says it is a car. It is easy to satisfy yourself when building a car, you make up your own rules and standards. The hard part is to satisfy somebody else, thier rules and standards.
    A guy named Doane Spencer built a hot rod many years ago, theres tons of pictures of it and you might want to search it up for a looksee. Anyway, this guy put together a hot rod out of the parts taht you are talking about, all the parts are Ford parts and they are all layin around today - you can gather them up no problem. Anyway, we have all these parts and if we put them together we will have an identical car to Doanes' - except nobody in over 50 years has been able to capture that car. Go find a picture of it and tape it to your wall above your toolbox. Now, that car is a hot rod and what makes it so special is its' simplicity. There is not one extra doodad, drilled hole, string of rivets, clever shifter or stack of gages - in fact, it is what you don't see that makes the car so great. It wouldv'e been just another jalopy if it had a 3' tall lighted beerkeg shifter handle sticking above the windshield.

28. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's been beat to death, and a lot of guys go out of their way to attack folks who ask. But I think it's ok to maintain a clear difference and spread the word :D

R*T R*D: Shocking, no proportion, crap welds, rust, use what you have lying around-

[​IMG]

Traditional: Eye for proportion, era specific, mostly or all period correct-

[​IMG]

29. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

I disagree , I don't think I should have to wait for someone else to tell me I have a car if I am the one who built it , and usually I am the one that is the hardest to satisfy with my own stuff , So , why the hell should I try to satisfy someone else when they aren't going to be (1) financing the project , (2) riding in said project , and (3) owning said project , the way I see it , build what you like , and to hell with what "someone" else thinks , as long as your happy , what does it matter? ,It's supposed to be fun , not a fuckin' fashion show...

30. speedyg948

speedyg948

wtf dreddybear...oh okay, you've redeemed yourself with the second pic, broke into a sweat there....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.