Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I crank over my 49 Packard???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Nov 3, 2011.

1. I bought an old 49 packard sedan that has sat behind my buddy's shop for many years. I don't have a book on the car and I plan to change all the rotted wiring but was curious as to what engages the starter. The ignition switch only has off and on. I've jumped the solenoid to crank the motor with jumper wire [starter works fine] but was wondering what it took to originally get the starter to crank? Looks like some switchware on the clutch pedal but the wiring is toast..
    Also: What's the switch for on the left side of the steering column about 6 inches down from the wheel? Mine's siezed up and won't move. Maybe interior lights? TIA to the knowledgeable Packard guys.

2. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

How 'bout pushing the gas pedal all the way down to the floor? DD

3. Photo

Attached Files:

4. the other me

the other me

is there maybe a push button for the starter?

5. No and no...looking for answers from a real live packard-head that knows these cars but thanks..

6. Rocky,
    One of my buddies in High School (Steve Varner I think) had an old packard that had a push button switch. The wiring on your clutch should be the equivelent to a neutral switch. Depress the clutch prior to starting.

7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I'm no expert, but I sure thought they had a on/off switch, might have been a toggle, then a push button start switch, on the dash.

Edit: looks like Porknbeaner types faster than I do!

8. joekocjan

joekocjan

Packardinfo.com or packardclub.com are good sites to start

9. Can't find a push button on the dash...I get a little info from my old Motors Manuals but nuttin about how to start the damn thing. Packard owners?

10. milo1303s

milo1303s

11. JonF

JonF

The switch is on the carburetor. When the engine is off and there is no vacuum, the switch senses that the gas pedal has been pressed and triggers the starter if the ignition key is on.

The trick on my Dad's Packard was to first leave the key off and pump the gas pedal a few times, then turn the key on and press the pedal. It usually started right away.

You do not have to press the pedal all the way to the floor.

Say, maybe I AM older than the rest of you old farts?:eek:

12. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´m not a Packard guy but maybe the starter is actuated by the throttle linkage or switch in the throttle linkage....?

13. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´m not a Packard guy but maybe the starter is actuated by the throttle linkage or a switch in the throttle linkage....?

14. choptvan

choptvan

I restored a 47 clipper and unless a lot of things changed, it is reverse polarity and gas pedal to the floor to start it.

15. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Thanks fellas! The wiring is so bad that depressing the pedal does nothing but at least I know how it's supposed to be...appreciate it.

17. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

I sure ain't one of those "real live packard-heads", but I sure do wish I had thought of that GAS PEDAL idea. DD