Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ride Height 53-54 Chevy with Gambino Notch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leadsled RnR, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

Of course, before removing the body from my frame so many months ago I never measured where I wanted my ride height to be. I was hopin to get some different measurements (top of axle to bottom of frame) for people running Gambino notches, along with a picture of their car at ride height so I can get an idea of how id like mine to sit. Thanks!

2. Tin Can

Tin Can

Depends. How are you setting up your rear suspension? Bags, leafs, coil overs?

3. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

Ahhh the details, sorry should have included. Im planning on triangulated 4 link from Gambino with bags over the axle. Originally, I wanted the top of the rear wheel well to cut the wheel in half. But tastes have changed since then, and Im not sure what Id really like. At this point, Im still open to other suspension suggestions. I'd love to keep it more traditional than running bags, but I'm also a fan of keeping things adjustable.

4. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

you really need to know what you want. its hard to say or give you measurements if you done know if you want leaf, bags or hydros. ive had bags for years in my 51 chevy. that it was cool for a while. im over it now and taking them out right now. im going back to have a more traditional stance. mine is gonna be low and drive like its on rails. no more noise from the compressors or any loose bolts rattling. look at a lot of photos and see what really turns you on and then go for it.

5. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

Your ride height is pretty much wherever you want to set it at. And variants from car to car on factors like tire sizes 4 link bar placement bracket height ect.. just get the lowest point you want laying frame or whatever and go up from there when you happy with where it is get the frame and link bars are dead level than there is your ride height .

6. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

Well, i think at this point, Im pretty dead set on running the 4 Link and bags, and Im runnin 670x15's. Problem is I know if the body were on the frame I could eye ball it and pinpoint where I like it, but I was hoping to skip all the work of putting the body back on. May be the only way? Theres a couple 54s I love on here, including Custom54s gold 54 (but it sit just a wee bit high in the rear for my taste). I love Cole Fosters 53, and the 54 he built for Ness, and more a red 54 that popped up on here not too long back, but cant remember the name.

7. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

i have 6.70's om mine. had to cut up the rear wheel wells and have no front ones. also mine sat a tad higher in the back too. its cause the frame swoops downward at about where the rear quarters star. if you dant want that then youll have to channel it. that being said you wont be able to run 6.70s in the back. they will hit the tops of the fenders. also what body style do you have? i have a sedan and i have to cut up the floor where the rear seat was at. i never got around to making a new seat. i dont have to know since im taking it all out.

8. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

bringing this one back up... my question is now that i have my top hats and everything set up for the front.. and i am about to do the rear with gambino notch.. how do i know what my front ride height should be to ride the best down the road on the freeway... for instance if i wanted to set it at 2 inches off the ground and do 70 on the freeway i could.. but if i wanted to set it for 6 inches and do 70 i could do that as well. but what would be optimal for low but still ride smooth?

i am bagging the front stock suspension with Slam Specialty 6 up front with fat man dropped uprights and gambino triangulated 4 link with continental rear bags...

my car did not come with an engine in it so i dont know what stock height was.. minus the dropped up rights i would think that would be optimal. hop this makes sense .. john

9. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas