Register now to get rid of these ads!

A ? for the paint pros

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D.R.Smith, Oct 30, 2011.

1. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

The car has been stripped,body work all done,primer inside and out,sanded,and ready for final paint.now if I use a signal stage paint,I can paint inside,under fenders,doors,jams,under hood,and truck.Then put all parts together and paint outside of car.Right ? Now if I want to use base coat clear coat.I could do it the same way,But wont that be a waste of $ for places like under hood and truck lids inside of doors and behind panels ? So is there a way of paintting the parts that will not be seen with single stage and then paintting the rest with Base coat clear coat ? I need to know if you could blend the different paints so they look ok where they come together ?

2. voodoo1

voodoo1

For the little extra paint, i'd stay with Basecoat, Clear on everything. You would have to pay extra to get the single stage and then hardener. In the end it'll be easier to have all the same materials. Mike

3. bodyman

bodyman
    from east tx

i agree with voodoo1 you wont have to put as much clear on the inner panels since they never see the outside elements . you can put 1 good med wet coat on & get it covered . that way you dont have any chemical reactions between the different materials . good luck

4. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

thanks for the info.

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

You could panel paint the jambs and areas under the hood/deck with an acrylic enamel and get good coverage & flow. Once this is dry, tape & mask to a hard edge and shoot your bb/cc once you've rehung your fenders & doors. Coloursand, cut and buff your urethane top coat as required.

Bb/cc finishes were introduced to the collision paint trade, so anyone who could coloursand & run a polisher could produce a finish that looked like they'd known what they were doing:D

Good luck with your paint project-

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

6. tuki

tuki

id just do as the guys up top said..one coat of clear on the jambs and under sides..if you were to use enamel it takes way longer to cure..not sure if you are in a hurry..nut im always in one..lol..paint the jambs..next day hang it all and have at it

7. bodyman

bodyman
    from east tx

if you use enamel where the bc/cc & enamel come together in your jams your probably going to get a reaction ( lifting ) unless you let it cure out completely than you still may get some ??

8. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Stock late-model cars dont appear to clear anything but the outside.