Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 337 Lincoln Flatty to my 40 Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toast, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Will a 337 Lincoln Flathead work in my 40 Ford where the 8ba is now? Or will this swap be a Nightmare? Has any one tried this? If it can be done, how much am I getting my self into? This is my First Flathead and I am in the Dark here:confused:

2. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Should work fine, though I've never seen it done. I'm interested if anyone has as well. It will have all kinds of power when you get it done. Have fun!

3. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I have been told that they are longer and the trans are different. I would like to do the swap if its not going to kill me! Anyone tried this before?

4. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Surly someone has tried this??

5. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

With any Flathead V8 from Ford you have the possibility of a little interference between the left side ext manifold and the steering box since the ext ports are so low. The 337 being a bit taller may actually avoid most of that problem. I don't know about the bellhousing bolt pattern. You might need a truck bellhousing to get close to the `40 trans. I'll bet that would work. The rear distributor should fit nicely in the stock firewall recess. I would'nt get all caught up if the water pump motor mounts don't line up with the factory postion on the frame. You might need to fab up some plates to hit that correctly. I'm sure the oil pan will clear the crossmember since it is a rear sump. Might even be able to use the stock radiator.

I like the 337's ever since I saw the inside of one. I like the big 4 3/8" arm that should plant you in the seat when you drop the hammer. I like the design of the exhaust ports which are, at least to my eye, more efficient and developed than the earlier V8's. The stock bore is 3 1/2"s with plenty of meat for more. The main webs and cap are sturdy. It has what I think are 1.7" intake valves so the intake ports can be opened up to feed all those cubic inches.

If you are concerned about weight over the front wheels take a few steps to remove some and shift it to the rear. Things like using an aluminum radiator. Chuck the factory cooling fan and all it's heavy associated hardware. Put an electric one in front of the radiator. Convert to an alternator because those early generators weigh a ton. Remove the stock horns and replace them with a hidden small modern one. Relocate the battery to the middle of the car. I'll bet you can offset nearly all the weight difference with out getting too fancy.

That's about all I can think of right now. Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition. If I can ever get my hands on a 337 I'm right there with you!

6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I have had the same thought.... The 337 is quite a bit bigger, but you should be able to make it fit just fine.

Here's a comparison shot of the size difference. :D

Attached Files:

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I seem to remember someone trying to do this when I was in high school back in the fifties. IIRC, they were never able to finish it because of all the problems they had. One thing I do remember is that it was VERY heavy, and brought the frontend down on the axle with the stock front spring. Whoever said that it would have "plenty of power" above is, I believe, being wildly optimistic. The level of talent of the folks on this board is probably way above what the kids I knew had back in the day. but this sounds to me like a bad idea. Who was it that said "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".:rolleyes:

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang! that's huge!!!

9. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Yea big difference. Looks like front mounts are much higher on the pumps and the pan may give me a problem depending where the rear sump ends up. Plus the rest of the pan is much deeper than an 8ba. Love to here from someone that has tried it?

10. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Thanks! You may be right! Maybe its a bad idea!

11. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Do you have the engine? Is it a Lncoln or an F-7/8 truck? If it's the truck engine, you'll at least have a flywheel, clutch, and bellhousing you can adapt to. If its a Lincoln, only the 3spd/O.D. versions are "user friendly" The automatics (almost all '50 & '51) had G.M. Hydramatics (which are O.K. but heavy) which leaves you with almost no options for conversion to another transmission-unless you're in a well equipped machine shop. You'll probably never find a loose flywheel, clutch, & bellhousing unless somebody just happens to have a wasted block with those parts. Assuming you have an engine that you can use, all of the suggestions for weight savings are good but a set of tubular headers will save another 30-40 #. The X-member in your '40 will require major surgery to clear and mount whatever transmission you end up using but that would be the case with almost anything that didn't use an early Ford transmission. The width of the engine might be cause for concern inside that '40 engine compartment. The overall length will definetely be aproblem to face. I put a 337 in a '53 F-100 but that's an altogether different ball game. Back in 1953 a guy named Ken Austin from Oregon installed one in a '39. He's (last I knew) still in business and making special intakes for the beasts.

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

note how much bigger things are that come from WI. Many things from WI are just too large to fit, no matter how much modification is completed.

very common problem that we incur here in WI

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

In the picture with the 8BA cylinder head, the Lincoln appearers to be almost one cylinder longer. That's a lot. I don't care what anyone says. The engine would have co come back. And as to blinding performance. Why is it that I have never seen or heard of a fast flathead 337? I notice the guys who have them and like them, have them on stands. Cool engine. But not for a '40 Ford IMHO.

14. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Yeah, with all the $$ your going to dump into the 337 conversion, you can have a pretty good hopped up 8ba/59a!!!!! And it will fit.....Roach.

15. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Okay, Thanks guys! I'm out on that project. Didn't realize they were THAT much different. More work than I want to do with little to no benifit.

16. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Would you like to sell or trade your 337?

17. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Oh here is a video of a 337 in a Model A. Looks like it's not having any trouble squirting down the road. Remember this engine has powered at least one Carrera Pan America winner. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8EiGpozQ7A

oliver westlund likes this.
  18. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

19. havi

havi

On the F7 and F8's, the cabs are the same as an F1. However, the similarities end there. The differences being from the firewall forward. The fenders are definitely wider. The frame is taller, and the crossmember drops a lot.... this compensates for the bigger engine. Here's a crappy pic of an F8 and how much it fills up the bay (see attachment).
    Here's another pic I plucked off the HAMB: [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The question is not "will a 337 thats running decent push around a 2000 pound car?" Of course it will. Any dumbie knows that. It pushed some barge Lincoln around. The question is "would it be a good idea, and reasonably easy to install a 337 in a '40 Ford?" You got to read the question before you can give an informed answer. Just sayin'.

21. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

We pulled one from a 51 F7, it is VERY heavy, not going back on this project but will be used somewhere. Cool motor but speed parts are rare and pricey. Alot of fans out there you should have no problem turning it into cash for a smaller flathead.

22. rla442

rla442

I have a 337 I put in a 52 F6. It takes a ton of room compared to the 239 V8. To keep the front end the same (Radiator, grill, steering box), I mounted the front motor mounts in the same place and had to move the firewall back 3 1/2 inches. To keep the intake/carbrator somewhat level I had to lift the front of the motor and drop the back a couple of inches each. In the truck there wasn't a problem with clearance of the hood or beneth the truck. On a car that may be another issue.

23. ScottV

ScottV

I know very little about flatheads, so excuse me if this seems like a dumb question, are there any performance parts around for the 337 ???

24. havi

havi

There are dedicated to the old Lincolns, but they are quite rare.

25. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Over the weekend we aquired another one, this one is an automatic out of a 51 Lincoln. Now at least we have a complete auto and standard trans set up. Should be able to get one up and running with a trans without too much hassle. Will wait for the right vehicle to come along for a transplant (dont know what it will be yet).

26. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

toast: u might want to PM "oldiron73" about the Lincoln 337. He has been trying to put one in a F-1 truck, but needs the bell housing for the hydramatic. He might have the items you would need to adapt to a stick. At least touch bases with him about parts and such.

27. Just made my first trip to work with 29 A roadster wich is equipped lincoln 337:cool:

Car handles very well , not so front weighted that everybody said before i started with the building.

Scale tell that front axle is 700kg and rear is 550kg , so it´s not so bad.

Wheelbase is a little streched ,so the engine lyes behind the front axle.

It´s just spring time in Finland and snow has melted .letting the roads dry...

Cool !

AVG

28. Now clocked allmost 3000 miles to the A-roadsters odo , and old 337 is running like clock , have a deasent torque at low rpm and pushing A roadster as good as it gets.

With it´s od-three speed it is best in three/od and about 70 miles per hour , and you can do that alldaylong....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
    oliver westlund likes this.
  29. Normbc9

Normbc9

we had the 337's in four 1950 Ford F-8 fire engines. The county garage took the stock intake manifolds off and replaced them with an after market single four barrel manifold with a Holley four barrel. They also converted the ignition system to a standard distributor and a dual pint set with a dual coil arrangement. man, those engines would get out and move. They remained in front line service for 15 years and then went to the Reserve line where they remained until they were 25 years old. All were sold at auction. Several went to Mexican fire agencies. I suggest to you they are a very strong engine and would be a candidate using modern technology to build up.
    Normbc9

30. Ken Austin had installed one in a 39 Ford coupe, said was no big deal to do. Doc