Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Buick custom roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Queen, Oct 30, 2011.

1. ****SOLVED****

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago, from a kool old kat, who bought it over 25 years ago, and has had it his shop up in the hills. He bought it from Barris's Neighbor , who wrecked is 57 buick and had George play with it (or what was left?). Hense the "Barris FatTy Roadster"
    This guy is now 76 years old, and he has another hand made car, he brought back from oversea's after he retired from the airforce and Viet Nam, in the mid sixtys. He flew with Jimmy Stewart, and Flew Bob Hope on many of his USO trips ..(man the storys) anyways all registered and insured and tweek'in and adjusting.. what's an "Old Fart" member to do eh? :D
    Have a Look. His a 350 now, the buick was removed years ago, for another project.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. belair

belair

That is one ugly dune buggy.

3. Has that ever been in a 1970's magazine article .... it looks familiar

4. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Looks like fenders from an early WWII Jeep on a widened 26-27 fiberglass roadster body.
    There's an ass for every seat, as they say in the used car business.

6. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

I would rally the shit out of that thing.

7. x2 on that one brother!

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Nothing 57 Buick about that thing...

9. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

So who built it? I read it about 10 times, still dont quite get it. George Barris built this out of a 57 Buick? Who's Jimmy Steward? Stewart yes, Steward no. Let me get my hip waders on brb

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Judging by the track width I assume the frame was salvaged from the Buick and a widened T bucket body etc installed?
    It's not the prettyist thing but I guess with some reworking it could be something.
    The color does absolutely nothing to help.
    It screams for totally outrageous paint to tone down the fenders and other additions.

Gonna be a subject for constant debate no matter what though!
    It's a little, ahhhh....quirky?:eek::confused::D

11. Cruzerdog,
    Maybe..aprox 25 years ago would be about , aprox 80 or 85 in LA, who knows what the orig owner did, or took it. Was trailered to a show a few years back up in Grass valley..Your just across the prison line from me, I'm going to try and get it to one of the Sac Vintage ford friday nights, I paln to give george a call, last spoke with him in santa maria about 3 years back, when he asked me to bring my 550 spyder into the show, and put it in his correl.
    Edelbroke, Sorry, fixed it, Jimmy Stewart the great actor. Barris is "said" to had done it ..nothing mentioned in the ad, it was a casual mention, after the money traded hands, so it wasn't a sell tale to pop the price up..
    Pasadena, The tub is a thick fiberglass, everything else on it is steel, had a roll bar of sort, which is now completely gone, Too heavy for the dunes.. I've seen uglier lol.

12. ok, so do any of you socal old schooler's know about this ride, or seen it.. yea, yea.
    I get the color, ugly, dune buddy comments etc, I can get those from dickheads on websites, that have guys I don't respect their opinions, nor others rides, from guys that drive pinto's, but dream gto's and flatheads, that is when their not holding up a dress pattern for the momma's, if ya know what I mean...I've come here for friendship and cars and knowledge since 2007, not wise ass comments, sure Ryan started this board for the same reason, As there are wise ass folks all over the net. I dont smack others rides, we run what we brung.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  13. brad chevy

brad chevy

I see you are getting beat up pretty bad on the car but dang man. I expected to see a 57 Buick. Scrolled down and was shocked to see Hitlers hotrod. George Barris built some weird cars but his brother would slap him side the head if he saw that. Good luck on the info finding on the car. Don't believe everything people tell you.

14. LOL Brad.. thanks man.. there nothing german on it..see, your humor is just that and I enjoyed it. I try not to believe anything your right, He was a good old kat, and this was bought before he mentioned it, the price was good, and it could be alot of bang, for min bucks. I do believe he is a straight up old kat, ya cant fake old life mag covers with his pictures in it or old airforce photo's , true that maybe the guy he got it from stretched the facts way back. Thanks for the reply Brad..

15. rat pup

rat pup
    from houston

loose tha front clip, and see what it looks like with a nice grill and shell, wouldnt hurt to try, original though, good luck

16. Thanks, for the idea. may start with a change of grill, if it does have a slight background at all, ugly or not, best not to tweek differently too much.

17. Here is a update ofmy roadster.
    I would had like to finish it as my photoshop photo shows, but thats not the case. So threw it on the bay.. had some bids, but got an email from a old shool kat names Johnny D, out of jersey.. he built it in 1960, sold to a friend who moved to cali in the mid/late 60's, and passed away. Johnny had wondered about his car for years..and was just looking under other" on the bay..saw the car, sent me a email stating I was full of shit and his number..called him, and what a koolkat Johnny is, we worked a deal..(took less then the highest bid) and its going back home. I felt it was the right thing to do.. I know I've wanted a couple back I've let go, Johnny D waited 50 years..I felt its the right thing to do.. Heres a photo johnny sent me to prove it.. in front of his house in 1960 Jersey..
    [​IMG]
    Black trim with Gold Metelflake, and its orig buick nailhead,and keystone style mags. He just bought another buick to pick its engine, and drop back in this one.. cheers Johnny, really glad I could return your dream..

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012