Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Graham coupe 36 hot rod projet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nuvolari, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari
    from Italy

this is my new project hot rods.:)
    Graham's 1936 5w coupe, was in South Africa but is in Italy since 1980. Now it's mine.
    Engines, transmissions and interiors have been lost.
    Put a 354 hemi chrysler '56, automatic transmission and 700 4r. Sorry if I do not write well ..... I'm Italian :eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. Thats sure unusual! Was that originally a coupe? Almost looks like it may have started out as a four door sedan.

I like your plan anyway.

3. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

i always thought grahams were cool.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari
    from Italy

it is original coupe model supercharge
    [​IMG]

5. Ok. The back looks a little different is all.
    Cool project anyway.

6. Good for you, nice project.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari
    from Italy

I looked better, was sedan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Flop

Flop

cool car! but man i would hate to dig into that roof.good eye james D!

9. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Great find anyhow! NICE. perley

10. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

great builder..very good score.

11. rrthiv

rrthiv
    from S.E.Ohio

Had a '37 Graham 4 door sedan several years ago,i liked it.

12. alsancle

alsancle

I was going to chime in and tell you not to mod it as it is rare and looked pretty complete. But given that it was a sedan then it's a perfect project for anything you want to do with it. I'm personally not a custom guy as I prefer the high front of a gasser than the lower back of a custom. However, it's your car so do what you want. Good luck!

13. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

It is a coupe not a sedan. Graham Owners Club will be horrified that you are street rodding it. Your choice to do what you want, just don't ruin it. Nice car by the way.

14. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Very cool project man, can't wait to see what you do with it.

15. Weasel

Weasel

My thoughts too - the lines look right and factories did weird things to make coupes back then - especially the low volume manufacturers. Graham Bros. were not doing too well back in the Depression and tooling up to make new dies to stamp coupe bodies may not have been in their budget. Many two door sedans were made by simply skinning the rear door opening or by leading in the rear doors and using a fold forward seat. And this one a supercharged Cavalier coupe - rare indeed. Personally I would resto rod it - looking as close to stock as possible on the outside but with updated mechanicals....

16. BillyM

BillyM

Good luck on your build, "Nuvo"....I'll be watching this thread for sure, as I too am (gulp) hot rodding a Graham......

17. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

So it's an original supercharged rumble seat coupe? What kind of hp would that have had? Any idea where the original drivetrain is?

As for plans, from the pic it just looks like you're adding skirts and lowering which should be fine as preserving the car. Depending on availability, might I suggest using a Torqueflite instead as this is technically a Mopar and you could keep it all Mopar since you plan on using a Hemi.

18. Weasel

Weasel

Not exactly....Dodge bought the truck division of Graham - not the car manufacturing division, otherwise Graham might still have survived with the Chrysler empire. There are plenty of transmission adapters out there to use other brands of trans such as a 700R4 for example.

Horsepower was 135 for the supercharged Graham Cavalier

Here's a history of Graham by noted automotive historian Jeffrey Godshall....

members.shaw.ca/rjsill/justwhat.htm

19. alsancle

alsancle

So you guys are saying this is factory??? I think it was a sedan turned into a coupe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Nuvolari

Nuvolari
    from Italy

correct! :cool: a job done wrong!: (

21. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

The photoshop with the mild chop really looks good, the sedan conversion looks good from the outside, hope it isn't full of filler. It's hard enough to build a car here, I admire people who build one in Europe.

22. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

It is possible it was made from two cars but making turret top cars only started a couple years before. Graham may not have had a press big enough yet to make it in one shot. My Hollywood top is 7 pieces of metal because they could not make it in only 1 piece.

23. Thinking by the shape of the quarter windows and the execution on the top, this surely was not factory. The green light should be on to do what he wants seeing that it's a bastard car.

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

LOL...looks like someone already "ruined" it...from a sedan to a coop...top and quarter window doesn't quite 'flow' correctly to say it's a factory job...

Even so, Nuvo, I like the photoshop you did...it'll look good a sled...

R-

25. As crudely pieced together as it looks, I could still believe that this is how the vehicle was delivered by Graham when new. This was not a high volume model and Graham was not in the league of Packard or Duesenberg.

Here's a couple more pics of the Cavalier coupe and they all seem to share the same slightly "awkward" roofline and quarter window shape.

[​IMG]

Here's links to a couple other shots that I couldn't download the pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/betemaciel/3539378573/sizes/z/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/carphotosbyrichard/5710236728/sizes/z/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/carphotosbyrichard/5709646483/in/photostream/

26. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I dunno...there's something about Nuvo's coop that the roofline at the rear of the door doesn't look quite correct, it drops off too sharp...and without seeing a dead on side shot of an original Graham coop, I can't say for certain it's a factory job...if it is, the factory certainly didn't make it look nice on the inside...

R-

27. Weasel

Weasel

Hollywood Graham is correct that the roof of the Hollywood was seven piece hammer welded. Hupmobile farmed out the body building of their Skylark to Graham and in return allowed Graham to use the same body for the Hollywood when they discovered the complexity of the body manufacturing from the original 1936 Cord Westchester dies.

One of the best set of photos of a stock Graham Cavalier coupe is from Nuvolari's posting on this link:

www.usacarsforum.it/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t15404.html

28. Weasel

Weasel

A little O/T to the original posting but still Graham related, here is a photo of a 1939 Graham Sharknose 3 window coupe custom bodied by Pourtout - about as rare as it gets in a graham and possible even rarer than the French coachbuilt Sharknose convertibles....

[​IMG]

29. alsancle

alsancle

Graham did do some cobbling on the hollywood but nothing like what is shown here. There is no way that is factory but it is kinda cool.

30. Nuvolari

Nuvolari
    from Italy

look at the difference of the rear window, definitely homemade
    [​IMG]