Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Late AA grille shells on As and Deuces?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ned Ludd, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

We all agree that the Deuce shell is a thing of beauty. I've got one lined up for the '31 project, really pleased to have got it virtually for a song.

However, I'd recently been daydreaming around a '32 roadster - nothing I'm about to start construction on imminently, mind - and the idea I got seemed really to want something a bit out of the ordinary. In fact what it wants is precisely a plated late Model AA truck shell. That'd give it that extra little visual edge, especially because keeping the Deuce shell would be such an obvious thing to do.

So, as I invariably do, I was wondering if it's been done. The other way round, millions of times; but this way? Anything spring to mind? Any photos?

2. anteek

anteek

I have an AA shell and radiator waiting for my banger full fendered pickup. No One yet has identified it.

3. rust&patina

rust&patina

have any pics of a late model 'AA' truck grille shell ???

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I just checked my Ford Truck pictorial... no references or pix highlighting the difference / change. How special is it? Gary

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

It looks much like a late A shell, but without the widow's peak.

This one seems to have a bit missing at the bottom:
    [​IMG]

6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

bttt: is it that weird an idea?

7. Tank

Tank

Some of the late '31s truck shells were plated. Just a very few of them. Mainly I know of them on Ambulances and other civil duty vehicles. I saw one at Hershey a few years back $$$$$$. Personally I like the commercial shells. Painted and plated both. But, putting one onto a deuce? My opinion on Hot Rods has always been to update. Mechanical, and body parts both. Thats just my opinion.

8. Yes it is,very few owners of 32's have pulled off a successful grill treatment other than the Deuce shell,,you can't improve on a proven formula.

Different grills have been done over the years with mix success,,

Probably the most famous would be the Curt Catallo coupe that was used on the cover of the 1963 Beach Boys album,,Little Deuce Coupe.

[​IMG]

I realize it is possibly blasphemy but I never did like the car although it is a significant part of history.

Then there is the Paul Fitzgerald roadster,,he did a good job of grafting a different shell to a roadster,,but it also channeled down over the frame to allow the lines to flow better.HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I've got one mocked up on my new A Coupe on 32 rails because I don't have a 32 shell laying around. It doesn't look too bad, really, almost adds a bruiser-esqe quality to the car.

Pictures from a week or so ago before I replaced the quarters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. titus

titus

I dont have any pics but im gonna run a 31 commercial shell on my 31 p/u on 32 rails.

jeff

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

As I said,

12. I tried a Hudson Grille on my '32 for size, I think it looks okay, but I am sticking with my '32 commercial Grille. :D user64776_pic264073_1297511871.jpg

13. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The shell on this A speedster looks a lot like a late AA:
    [​IMG]

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

STAINLESS STEEL not plated, the "Holy Grail" of Model A Grille shells:D Somewere on the HAMB there is a photo of an all black 30-31 Roadster with the AA painted shell, a really great looking car.

15. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

1931 ford model AA shell looks just like the A shell, except it is deeper (thicker, front to back), to accommodate the commercial radiator.

16. <<< My 30 coupe has a late AA shell with (2) 58 ford grills installed vertical.

17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The ones in the photographs don't look much thicker :confused: That might be true of the '28-'29, though.

18. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Yep , Had a shiny "ambulance " grill on my 31 pickup that was originally a AA cab let a friend of mine have it if he was going to use next thing I know he's cut it up took about 6" out to try and fit it on a 29:eek: but back in them days I didn't know they they were a little scarce:eek: quite a few years later I visited another guys garage and there it was hung on his wall and turns out he had bought the unfinished 29 that my friend had, and as far as I know is still there.