Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cali Hot Rod Re Union Cobra Jet returned after 42 years.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 68Rcodeman, Oct 28, 2011.

1. 68Rcodeman

68Rcodeman

Hello, Back from the CHRR. 6,000 miles round trip. Returned the Cobra Jet back where she ran in March Fuel Gas Championship 1969. Great time, Great people. Had some bugs to work out but nothing broke and will be back again. Was able to meet Gas Ronda, Hubert Platt, and many forum members. Might have found two people that knew Phil Glass. The guy who raced the car out of Russ Davis Ford. Been a busy year getting her ready. From a back yard covered for 40 years to back down the same track. Need to add more fuel delivery as the new motor needs more supply.
    David
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tooslow54

tooslow54

That's awesome! Car looks great.

3. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

About time you finished that critter, David :p
    Sure looks better without the leaves and schidt on it, eh?
    What did she run? Bobby and I were thinking about coming down, but I got tied up, and Bobby's still kinda down about his broken cylinder wall in the '64 Liteweight Galaxie

4. Most of those cars ran these headers that Doug built for the Super Stock Ford Program - Hubert Platt, the Paul Harvey Cars etc all ran them. Does your car have them?
    [​IMG]

And Doug's Headers still makes them today!

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Dave;your Mustang is WAY TOO KOOL!!! It was great to see it and to meet you in person!!A few bugs after so many years in hiding and too short of a time to get it ready are to be expected!!! At least you made it out and were able to have a good time.AWESOME CAR!!! ROY.

6. 68Rcodeman

68Rcodeman

Hotroddon, The car has the original headers. They are Belangers. Doug worked for them in the 60's. They are pretty close to yours.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MeanGene, The car ran out of fuel into 3rd gear. I did not make any full runs but there was a 7.21 1/8 mile and I think i was coasting by then. I have parts on the way to cure the supply problem.

Roy, Nice Avatar, I would love that shot for mine. Still trying the local photographers at the track. It was great meeting you and many others. Everyone was very friendly and helpfull. Westcoast trip will happen again.
    Thanks David

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  7. Wow! Thanks for sharing 68Rcodeman

8. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Wow!!! Nice R Code!!!

9. Deuces

Deuces

I have a model kit of the R-Code '68 Pony... I believe the decals are for the Bill Lawton car...

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Dave;I will keep an eye open for pictures of your car.I get photos from a few of the regular photographers and will ask them. ROY.

11. Muttley

Muttley

That Mustang is AWESOME. I'm guessing those headers weren't a whole lot of fun to install. :eek: :eek:

12. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

So flippen cool......

13. noboD

noboD

Killer car R Codeman, and I don't even like Fords.

14. 68Rcodeman

68Rcodeman

A friend found this shot on the web. Wish I had and original. The hunt goes on. It says A Cobra Jet Mustang puts it's fat rubber to use coming off the line.. What a Wicked looking car!!

Attached Files:

15. 41fordor

41fordor

Man, that picture would be a great desktop! Do you have a version with the whole front end visible?

Beautiful car!

16. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

nice but isn"t it a little new for this site?

17. BigChief

BigChief

Hooker stated that FE's in early Mustangs are one of the hardest installs. The '69-'70 cars were worse yet with the reinforcing plates at the bottom of the shock towers fighting for the same space as the top header bolts. Pulling motor mounts and lots of hair out of your head was just the beginning on getting headers into these cars....and if you had to replace a starter?....heh! I still love 'em and miss my '69 R-code.

Thanks for sharing!

18. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

This Phil Glass you speak of, did he live in Valinda California and drive an Orange 32 two door sedan???

19. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Just had to piss in somebody's Wheaties, didn't ya :rolleyes:
    There's a couple guys on the FE forum you must be related to :p

20. roughneck424

roughneck424

Not to be to Nosey or get into your biz.
    But can ya share the story of " The Find" or story why it's been sitting all this time?

21. 68Rcodeman

68Rcodeman

Mark, I never met him. His name is still on the doors. From what I found he was friends with Bob and Jerry Bellanger of Bellanger headers. I brought the car back there in hopes of finding someone that remembered him or the car. Any help would be appreciated. 352-650-1982
    Thanks David

22. 68Rcodeman

68Rcodeman

Roughneck424, No questions considered nosey. I am searching for the entire history and story myself. Here is what I have. The car is one of fifty first built in December of 1967. They went on to storm the Winter Nationals and raced each other in the finals. Hubert Platt and Al Joniak were the to drivers in the finals.Gas Ronda, Dyno Don,and other famous drivers were seated in them by Ford when they were released. The story on the car is I found it in Glendora after a gentleman of 59 years old who was single , Drank beer,ate fast food and Loved Fast cars past away leaving them to his cousin named Joe Boda. Joe searched for some history on this special car for a few years and then sold it to me. I reserected it with some soap and water, Wax and rebuild a period correct engine for it. Most all the engine parts came with the car( Blown up in 1970 and parked with 321 actual miles.) Thanks for the California weather her original paint and under carraige was stil rust free.There are a few magazine articals and I will post the links. Any help retreiving the rest of the history on this car is my mission. Thanks for all the nice coments. I am lucky to have found her.
    David Garton
    http://www.classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=35524
    http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_1105_1968_ford_mustang_cobra_jet/viewall.html
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572926

23. 68Rcodeman

68Rcodeman

Mark , Here is a story on Phil and his friend Bob Belanger.
    50-60s Street Racing Story
    Being 63 yr and still street racing, today, only now it’s on a pumped up 150 hp Honda CBR 900RR Super bike.
    It all started in 1957 when my brother and I opened Belanger Brothers Headers in West Covina, Cal. I bought a 56 Chevy 210 two door that was used by a Proctor and Gamble soap traveling salesman; this car had ash tray nicotine stains up the dashboard into the headliner, plus lots of mileage.
    I had many motors, experimental exhaust systems, transmissions, and 3<SUP>rd</SUP> members in that car over the years.
    But my most fun, fast, loud, and chick magnet, street racing combination was a Isky roller cammed 327 Corvette motor with 471 GMC whining blower, protruding through the hood, with dual quads under an Enderle injector air scoop, connected to a 1950 olds hydro with drilled valve body and furnace brazed torque converter (before B&M hydro time) coupled up to a 50 Chevy ¾ ton truck locked rear end, with 5:14 ring and pinion, spinning 10” M/H slicks.
    My friend Phil Glass and I would go street racing every night and start at Bobs Big Boy in Pasadena.
    As we would wait in line outside for a parking space for carhop service, I would turn off the engine, when it was our turn to cruse the drive in Phil would hop out lay a purple shop rag on the hood and with a chrome Plews oilier can, and squirt some nitro methane mixed with castor oil into the Enderle Injector scoop sticking up through the hood, when that motor would light up it would scare the hell out people because of the through the fenderwell four into one headers, (first on the street) The collectors were made of 18 ga. sheet metal and resonated very loud, hooked up to corvette mufflers with 8 cheater pipes hanging under the axle, it twisted heads, and the sweet eye burning nitro/castor smell was the clincher that this was a bad street machine.
    As we pull into Bob’s with a whining blower at 1800 rpm stall speed with my foot on the brake, as the car is lunging forward with the duration of the cam, My co pilot Phil raises up a big card board sign saying WANT TO RACE, we park, put the make on the chicks, down three or four coffees and burn half a pack of Marlboros, listen to Jazz on my F/M tuner (the hot set up in those days).
    With no takers we would make a big show leaving with just starting up the car, and then Phil would turn the card board sign over and it said CHICKEN SHIT on the other side, the locked 5:14 rear end chirped the M/H tires on the tarmac as we loped out of Bob’s, heading for Hollywood Blvd to street race and find sexy women> (the good old days) when gas was 26 cents a gallon, because this 471 GMC blown motor got 6 mile to the gallon!
    Once on the freeways, any one was a choose off, Pull up next to Corvettes, Dodges, fords, anything that looked fast we would flip them the WANT TO RACE sign, I could pull that homemade stick Hydro into second gear at 65mph and pin it to 9500 rpm slip it into third gear and the glove box would pop open from the hit when that hydro would shift into the next gear, we had stiff necks from street racing that car.
    Four years of every other night and weekends of street racing and never got a stinking ticket, not even for loud pipes, go figure?
    My brother Jerry and I built headers for Stone Woods & Cook, Big John Mazmanian, Shores & Hess, Kohler Bros King Kong, Weekly, Rivero, Fox, and Holding the Frantic four just to mention a few, I got drafted in the Army in 63 and that was the last of my drag racing and Header making days, Jerry is still making Headers in Phoenix, for those that remember the late 50s and early 60s, give him a call.
    ~~Bob Belanger aka Gasser in Hawaii~~