Register now to get rid of these ads!

Disc brake sticking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Firepig, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Firepig

Firepig

I have the typical Speedway type suicide front axle on my 36 Chev p/u. It has the typical early 80's Chev rotors and single piston calipers. The left front took a hit a few months ago and I had to replace most everything as far as the wheel, hairpins, steering rod, kingpin, caliper, re-turned the rotors (rotors are true), etc.

Now, every so often, only the left front caliper hangs up and I have to stop and crack the bleeder to get it to retract.

It's not a bad caliper because I've changed them twice, and upgraded the quality. I thought maybe a slightly bent mounting bracket might put an angle on the piston and cause it to stick, but I pulled that, and it appears true based on the "flat surface teeter test".

Fluid bleeds out well when bleeding the brakes, so it doesn't appear to be a blockage in the line.

Anyone else ever have this problem? If so, please fill me in. Thx!

2. brad chevy

brad chevy

When bleeding you have pressure going to the caliper but when you let off the brake you don't have pressure pushing the fluid back. Sounds like a bad brake line screwed internally .

3. Same problem, same location, with different caliper ; I'd look at that brake hose first

4. putz

putz
    from wisc.

agree with 31 vicky , been there twice .............

5. Firepig

Firepig

Thanks guys. I'll replace it this week and see what happens!

6. 32ratsass

32ratsass

Bad residual valve?????

7. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

see this nearly every week in my shop all makes and models especialy ford pickups brake hoses deteriate inside, too much restriction for fluid to back flow easy going to caliper due to pedal preasure. change hose,and bleed.

8. fordor41

fordor41

If RPV both front calipers would stick. I agree with rubber brake hose.

9. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

When you reassemble use a high temp grease on the caliper retention bolts, a little dab'll do. X2 on the brake hose.

10. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

A collapsed rubber brake line can act as a one-way valve, letting fluid build up pressure without being able to release it. That's my diagnosis also.

Also, once upon a time I had a bad set of both pads and square o-rings in a dual-piston caliper that caused my piston to stick in the caliper. They stuck so bad it would stop the vehicle until I cracked the bleeder to let pressure out and retract it.

I've had a few slightly tweaked calipers and none of them ever hung up and got stuck before.

x2 on the high-temp grease on the caliper-sliding bolts, always good practice.

11. Firepig

Firepig

Found a kink in the braided line under a plastic sleeve near the fitting at the caliper. I replaced the line. Just waiting to finish rebuilding my steering box and I'll try it out. Makes sense that this was the problem. Thanks guys!!