Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Flathead Question - Heads?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopped50Ford, May 26, 2005.

1. I got a stock 8BA flathead w/ some simple bolt on items. I have been considering putting on Aluminum heads on this beast. The heads are made by Edelbrock and have the center intake for cooling. (Early style)

Would they make a huge difference to the motor/hp? Would it be bad and hurt the motor?

I am running a 2x2 intake w/ 8ba 94's, and headers (cheap kind).

Thanks!

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

It won't make much difference & wont' hurt it, but if you decide to do it, there's a water passage you need to block off at the front when using early heads on the later engine...

3. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Ditto on the won't make much difference but I would do it just for the nostalgia look. (There is not anything more embarrassing than getting your doors blown off by a 4cyl Honda or Toyota):) :) :D

4. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

If you want looks go for it. If you want some cheap performance use 52-53 EAB heads and mill about .060.
    A flatty really needs a cam change to wake it up and make the bolt ons effective.

5. hey 286, speaking of cams (my favorite subject) I need more cam reccomendations ahaha. I'm thinking L100 but will that sound nasty enough and give me the thrill I need on my stock displacement 8BA?

Danny

6. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Im more in favor of Schneider cams. They have a wide selection including versions better suited to a stock 239 block. The L100 would give substantial loss to your low end torque in that displacement IMO.

7. The only advantage is weight and a slight compression increase (and they look great). And as mentioned previously, it sure helps to add a good cam. Im going to be rebuilding my Flatty a little later on this year and I'll be using aluminum Offy or Evans heads. If there original heads, just make sure that they havent been altered or damaged, since that could really mess up the compression ratio of the engine or make it too high.
    -Dean

8. hey crew,

i think i read in hop up that with a stock cam, 8:1 heads give a 10hp increase from memory.

danny

9. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

At current head prices that aint very cost effective! With used heads they should be cc'ed first and if chambers are close to stock then given a clean up mill. That brings the price up to close to new.

A major problem with current production Edelbrock and Offy heads is that QC sucks. Chamber sizes are all over the place and Offy's stamped model numbers are often not what you get.

Im getting mighty tired of the inflated head prices and then receiving shit. Ive returned around 8 sets over the past 3 years.

Take a set of EAB's, spend some time grinding off the casting marks and smooth them out. Paint a contrasting color to the block and use chromed acorns. You will be amazed at how good they can look when mated with a nice intake and some other shiny goodies.

10. EAB's...okay that sounds like a cool route....so take off .060 for a little compression bump? I guess a $100 set of stock heads, some milling work and your off. These Edlebrock heads I found were used and were for $300.

As for cam...what would you recommend for my application...im a stump when it comes to these...also, is it hard to change the cam out?

11. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

I'll be totally honest, go with what you want or you won't be happy. 300 seem kinda steep for run of the mill edebrocks used. Not that there's anything wrong with them because there's not but they are just everywhere.
    As far as heads I'll be the first to admit the HP to $ ratio is marginal to say the least, but if thats all I was worried about I wouldn't run a flathead. Every flatty I've ever owned has had a set. Why? Because I think finned aluminum heads are what really makes the "look" of a real hot rod flathead. I certainly am not saying anyone else is wrong, nor do I think they are saying I am wrong. Thats whats so great about this. Its what you want. If you wanted finned alum. heads, and take some one else advice to not get them, if you are anything like me you'll be doubting it the whole time, because its not what "you" wanted. As for a cam, what were you wanting originally? A flathead is such a personal engine, what were you looking for, and go from there. just my .02c.

Drew

12. Im not looking for a HP boost, just the looks, but...it wouldn't be that bad either. But if I got to toss a cam in there too, what the hey....

I got excited when I saw them...and a vision...it was a sick vision...but what the hell right?

~Sometimes I take things a bit far...maybe thats why Im broke :)

13. hey crew,

go with the heads, get some more torque and HP and the good looks.

:D

danny

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Holy mackeral! $100 for some stock cast iron heads?! Man, scrap prices must have gone through the roof. I guess you gotta pay whatever the local rate is because shipping will nearly always be more than the price of the heads.

Same with $300 for used Edelbrocks - if they're early block-letter, maybe, but run of the mill used heads should go for much cheaper.

Maybe I'm just a tightwad...:D

15. Chewie

Chewie

The EAB heads should run you apprx $30 at a swap. The going rate for the cast Merc heads should be $50-75.

These are from the last few swaps I've been to here in TX.
    $100 for stock heads is way out line.

16. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

It's amazing that the worst possible choice for a non-blown application (Merc) are going for more than the best factory iron heads Ford ever made. But who can argue with the laws of supply and demand?

17. This is good, now I know what to look for in paying for a set of used stock or Aluminum heads.

As for the Cam replacement, is that easy to do? Do you have to pull the motor and tip the block upside down to insert the cam? to keep the lifters from falling out?

Thanks this is great info here.

18. ...

19. hey mate,

i think you'd take the lifters out anyway after you have removed the valve assembly as you will need to use adjustable lisfters with your new cam.

danny

20. OMG! The price is getting higher and higher...especially after putting a set of aftermarket heads...is this necessary...

I wanted looks, not speed. :)

Maybe I should forget it....lol :eek:

21. Back to the thought process....

A simple answer is needed...but If I go w/ a set of milled heads or aluminum finned heads....do I need a cam? Even though Im going to run a 2x2 intake?

I really dont want to pull valves and crap just for a new cam.

Is this motor going to run okay stock internally, but "aftermarket" on the outside?

22. Mate,

simple question and here is your simple answer: you can run the heads. you do not need to run a cam. you can run the 2x2 intake with the stock cam and the heads.

more involved answer:

the heads will give you a small gain in HP and torque over stock, they certainly wont hurt. depending on what carbs your running on the
    2x2 setup may need a change of dizzy. 94's are hard to work with the stock 8BA dizzy and a replacement dizzy is well worth the money (Mopar conversion, MSD, Mallory). The duals will give you a noticable increase in performance.

if after putting on the heads and the dual intake you decide to add a cam, a cam will realy wake this engine up as you have done the other things needed to work with a hotter cam (compression, fuel and ignition).

Hope this helps!

Danny