Register now to get rid of these ads!

tachometer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by super plus, Oct 24, 2011.

1. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

Has anyone running a magneto on a V8 tried running a snowmoble magneto tach . Can it be done?:confused::rolleyes:

2. squirrel

squirrel

how many cylinders is the snowmobile engine?

3. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

it has 2, don't see why that matters ? It's rpm !

4. squirrel

squirrel

An electronic tach figures RPM by counting sparks. The 4 stroke V8 has 4 sparks per revolution, the snowmobile is probably a 2 stroke, if so it has two sparks per revolution. So the snowmobile tach would read twice as fast as you're really turning the engine, because it's getting twice as many pulses.

If it's a cable driven tach, then it should work fine, assuming your mag has a gear to drive the cable.

5. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

That makes sense.It's electric, Thanks Squirrel

6. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

So- a 4 stroke v8 has 4 sparks per rev,
    a 6 would have 3, and a 4 would have 2?

(I want to put a tach on my lawn tractor, and princess auto has really cheap tachs but they're for cars. I could build a 4027 div/2 circuit to make that work with my little hot-rod 1982 john deere. :)

7. squirrel

squirrel

yeah. Most tachs for cars have a switch or jumper wires that let you select 4, 6 or 8 cylinders, or such.

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Squirrel you are the first person I ever heard describe what happens in a tach. Thank You. I used to live in Flagstaff, went to NAU, had a couple of kids (adults now), don't know why I left, what was I thinking:(.

Pat