Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spark plug faouling on a 235..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56boracho, Oct 23, 2011.

1. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

My spark plugs keep turning really black i know it has to do with to much gas going thru carb it is running rich also i been tried adjusting the float level n keeps running rough only time it runs smooth is when i pull each spark plug out n clean them, someone told me its prob. Gonna be my valves stem seal? Could that really couse my spark plugs faouling.

2. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Does if puff blue smoke?
    Especially on a cold start?

3. Choke opening fully?

Too much fuel pressure?

Wrong spark plugs? Heat range too cold?

Air filter clogged up?

Timing retarded?

Distributor advance not working?

Stock engine or modified? What work have you done on it recently?

Fuel deposits tend to be black and dry. Oil deposits tend to be black and... well... oily.

4. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

Air filter is brand new, and bought new plugs it runs great when i put new ones or clean them is usually bout 20 mins its starts to run rough n i check the spark plugs and their black and dry, its weird becouse i got a clutch kit and it ran better, before it wouldt pick up speed and now it does im pretty sure that would have nothing to do with it right and yes its a stock engine i also changed the points, condenser and dist. Cap

5. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

It does a little only when starts to run rough or when its standing still and i step on the gas pedal

6. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

Oh and yeah the choke is fully opened i checked for that to

7. 52HardTop

52HardTop

This may sound crazy, but, if it ran good before the tune up parts were changed, I would put the old condenser back in. I had an issue a bunch of years back with the new china made condensers. They were junk! I was told to sand them to clean any clear coat that may insulate them from a good ground connection. It's worth a shot. Or how about the plug gap. Is it right? Carb adjustment is another thing.
    Dom

8. check the carb float for gasoline, these had a lot of leakers

get womeone to scope your ign system and check for available coil voltage

9. Here's a longshot for you. When you installed the clutch did you disturb any ground cables? Maybe under a bellhousing bolt? Check them over for corrosion, good terminals, continuity, bolted down on good clean metal, not painted surfaces.

10. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

It runs fine with new points and condenser its only runs good for about 20 to 30 mins n than its start to run crappy n plugs are pitch black, yea ima check the cus i did disconnect a couple of them

11. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

TOO much gas.

12. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

Could it be my valves?

13. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

Also i was gonna check my timing and wanted to know where is suppose to be set at?
    And when i adjust my carb should the idle screw be srewed out all the way or just enough to keep it running becouse it wont stay running unless its screwed in a bit..

14. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

Also i was gonna check my timing and wanted to know where is suppose to be set at?
    And when i adjust my carb should the idle screw be srewed out all the way or just enough to keep it running becouse it wont stay running unless its screwed in a bit..

15. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Was having trouble with my 33 at the nationals in KY.Was Pourin rain had my coupe up under the cover at the front of the hotel swappin plugs in the 396 had just put a long duration cam in it and it was hotter than hell that year.This real Old guy pulled up beside me sportin a blown 41 willeys from louisiania told me son ,by the way I was 52 at the time,if it aint smokin ,you got an ignition problem,he hit it right my coil was breakin down in the heat.All the time I thought it was carburation.Put a differernt coil on it outa the heat .Never had anymore problems:D

16. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If you have a Rochester carb the power valve maybe hanging open. Vacuum holds it off and a spring opens it. The operating part is in the air horn[top] of carb ,a bad gasket between the bowl and top could cause a problem. I've seen the part bent and binding also. Timing will not cause a rich mixture making the plugs dry and black.
    Get a "Motor's" manual off ebay that covers your year of car,anything up to 5-6 years later will do.
    Which idle screw are we talking about speed or mixture? The speed screw contacts the lever on the side of the carb and yes it needs to screw in enough to open the throttle to let it run at the correct idle speed. The mixture screw goes into the carb base and is lightly screwed in untill it stops and then back out somewhere between 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 turns out. You adjust both screws to get the smoothest idle at the correct speed.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  17. yblock292

yblock292

On my 292 with crower- u-fab, with 4 94's , i was having bad plug fouling on last 2 cylinders on drivers side. Started dumping injector cleaner in about every 3-4 tank fulls, have not had a problem since.

18. first off check the float, they are very susceptible to waterlogging with gas

then do available coil voltage on a scope

usually when plugs get fouled on current fuels they are throwaways

jmho best of luck on it