Register now to get rid of these ads!

anybody recognize this 70's kustom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Jan 6, 2008.

1. MoparBruce

MoparBruce

James D - Love with wide whites! While you're at it, why not photochop (yes, intentional misspell) the gold with scallops and or the black with scallops? I never thought there'd be this much interest in this old truck. Wow, now I'm really going to have to do a nice job on this - LOL!!

Flameit - Your scallop idea was kinda of what I had in mind, just not that much. I was thinking more just the three fingers across the hood (one down each side and one up the middle), the Hockey stick across each fender, then maybe a two or three finger across the roof and the ducktail.

It's really great to know about the history of the truck. I will update as I get going on it. Always looking for more ideas, comments and suggestions.

Here's what I have to get through first:

Bruce

Attached Files:

2. Sunshine14

Sunshine14

changes the whole truck! Now i realy like it

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Great find, great kustom!

I can't deside, between the gold or the purple ,they both make me wanna put on a '' Procol Harum " album , and pretend it's 1970 again!

Both of those paint jobs would be a kick in the ass to do, pure cool!

I say keep it a 70s kustom, wrong vibe for a late 50s, early 60s.

'' Humpty Dumpty was pushed !"

4. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

I remember seeing it around Kansas City in the late 70s early 80s at car shows here.

5. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

I like it! The extreme use of filler was acceptable back in the '70's-'80's. I'm not sure if it was because of the assumed short shelf life of a radical Kustom back then or what?!
    There's a few guys around here that used to do major filler on their Kustom work too. They have improved over the last 10 years or so, now it's only 1/4" or so thick!

Build on!
    Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I agree! There are a lot of sheep that think everything needs to be done like the thousands of other followers but all cool cars started with one guy making something different.Even a highboy 32 roadster was done first by someone when no one else had done it.Get started on it.Who knows!

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

It's sad to say, but " High- Butchery " wasn't jus' limited to the 70s & 80s!
    Most of the kustom guys I knew in the 60s metalshaping tool box consisted of a pick hammer, a dolly, a length of 4'' pipe & some snips. Many, going back into the 40s ,leaned heavly on old oem stamped & shaped panels for the required shapes/forms necessary to pull off a modification to a build. Lead/solder as thick as 1'' wasn't an unheard of occurance!
    I continue to be blown away by the numbers of ''big name builders'' who's typical builds include mud from headlamp to taillamp to shape panels. I guess it gets down to what your client wants, your skills and what you can bill for, given that your client doesn't know metalwork from fillerwork.
    In all fairness however, to metalshape a complete build where most panels are completely formed via wheel or power hammer, takes most jobs well into six figures these days. At $150 an hour for a top drawer shop's labor rate it adds up fast, even in this economy!

" The very core of fanaticism is its indifference to things of the mind "

8. I too like this little truck! I also like the idea of pushing it back a bit into the late '50s early '60s "show rod" era with the gold paint, etc.. One thing that stood out with the original version and really pulled the look together in my opinion was the lakes pipes. The later pics with them removed gives the truck a 'bald' appearance... If you are still wondering about tail-lights that might be less mainstream than the Caddies, how about something off the wall like '58 Ford assemblies? I think they would fit right in that opening (but don't do too many - two on each side would suffice; perhaps on chromed perforated metal?).

Good luck with the build!

-Dave

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  9. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Wow....Now that's nice

10. This is the first time I've seen this thread. That truck is cool! Especially the purple 1970's version. What are your plans for it? Any updates?
    [​IMG]

11. Bit more messing and remembered to add the scallops...

[​IMG]

12. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

James D, I like your rendition! The whole truck is kinda cool looking in the more sedate black with scallopes you've pictured. The WW's with shiney wheel covers bring back some high-lights and help balance it out.

Good job!
    Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

13. pinstriper ny

pinstriper ny

hi if you get rid of the cougar grill amd rear lights the truck has posibilities wilth the right paint amd graphics

14. MoparBruce

MoparBruce

15. displaced_kiwi

displaced_kiwi
    from Olathe KS

I just had a call from a a fellow club member who was reading this thread.

I'm posting this information as he relayed it to me over the phone. Some of this info you guys already posted above...

Mark remembers the truck very well and ran with it for a long time.
    The truck was built in the 60's by Wild Child Kustoms in Kansas City. It had a big block 427 and 4 speed drive line. It was a "screaming son of a bitch". It was owned by Victor Thayer in KS for a long time. The truck bed is original to the truck when it was built as a radical/wild custom.
    Mark followed the truck, in his 50 Merc, to the first ever lead sled spectacular in Wichita. The truck blew the tranny down there and they nursed it home in 4th gear.

I can put the current owner in touch with Mark who can tell you about it and can get in touch with Victor for more information.

cheers
    ricki

16. Gromit

Gromit

It certainly is ... interesting. I think it hasd potential

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Don't know how I missed this 1st time around...but damn!
    One of the coolest '53-55 Ford trucks I've ever seen....
    Bummer I'm broke or that sucker would be headed to the NW.

18. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I'd drive the hell out of that ugly thing!

19. Extreme

Extreme

20. Extreme

Extreme

i have sent messages to everyone who had the 1955 truck. Get back to me if someone can get me intouch with him.. My dad had the truck from 73 to 91 and i would like it back to restore it like it was... Please contact me David Thayer 913-591-2500.... [email protected].....

21. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

As of today, Wicked Child resides in South Carolina. Restoration will be a slow process. Have one other major project to finish first. BUT, it will happen, as long as the Good Lord is willing!!

22. jerry2feathers

jerry2feathers

We built that ford truck in the late 60's at Wild Child's Customs in Kansas City. It was a show winner then. Where is it now

23. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

anyone know who bought it from bruce?

24. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

I bought the truck from Bruce and it's now in South Carolina. Jerry if you have any info on the original build, I'd really enjoy hearing it. Maybe some pictures as I've only seen the ones in this thread.

25. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

do you have any updated pictures anywhere? or a current build thread?

26. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

The truck is basically a rolling shell right now and is on hold till my 55 is refinished. I can get pictures if you like. I have some of the ones Bruce took of it when he had it.

27. raymay

raymay

You are right about the ugly part. For the price it definitely looks like it could have some nice possibilities. I would first loose all the Cougar crap and then get your ideas flowing. Depending on how extensive the work is on the back, a little reshaping in this area might also help.
    Take some pictures and do some cut and paste or drawings. You would be surprised what cool ideas you might come up with. If you like to work with diecast or plastic models that helps in the creativity process also. Good luck and have fun.

Attached Files:

• 42.jpg
      42.jpg
      File size:
      187.7 KB
      Views:
    • 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      109.2 KB
      Views:
  28. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

Well, there is a part of me that likes the Cougar stuff. BUT I've had drawings of a finned F-100 for years and am still kicking that idea around. Been looking and thinking about the grille area, not too sure on it but I have spotted an idea I may kick arond. Like I said, my 55 F-100 that I've owned over 20 years is in the redo stage and has to be finished first. I also live on a fixed income so.........

29. jerry2feathers

jerry2feathers

This truck was built at Wild Child's Custom Shop in Kansas City in the late 60's. The bed is original to the truck build. You have an original custom except for the grille bars. How lucky can you get? Their are some interesting twists and turns to this build like the windshield. When we chopped the top the glass shop, Harding Glass, guarenteed they could cut the windshield. After cutting the original and three new ones, breaking each one, they almost gave up. The last one was successful, we only had to pay for one and they saved a little of their money. They never attemted to cut one for us again.