Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The California Kid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CruiseOrDie, Jan 17, 2010.

1. CruiseOrDie

CruiseOrDie
    from Cincy, OH

Watching it as we speak. Just thought I'd pass on to the others, I picked it up at Meijer in the "Bargain DVD" section for $5.99.

Can't NOT have it for that price!:)

2. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Got a copy for christmas and have watched it three times already. Some great footage of the famous '34. I liked the gas pumps and old station also.You're right. How can you not own it for 6 bucks?

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked one up online years ago an watch it every once in a while.

4. CruiseOrDie

CruiseOrDie
    from Cincy, OH

I've been slowly accumulating pre-1980's car movies for the past year or so.

Big Wheel with Mickey Rooney is probably one of my favorites, for sheer entertainment value, and the old racing footage.

But I've Been wanting the 'Kid for a long time. Was just surprised to get a god movie outta the bargain bin for once.

5. beauishere

beauishere

After The Big Wheel was finished my Dad bought the engine out of the race car Mickey Rooney drives in that flic. He put it in his '38 and it was so heavy it broke the front springs. He couldn't afford to fix it so he left it like that. He swears he started the lowered front end look. Up until that time, the kids used to drag the ass end. Who knows.

6. OK guys watch for the real american graffitti coupes motor being shown for the closeup shots of the motor in the KID...................serious

7. CruiseOrDie

CruiseOrDie
    from Cincy, OH

Noticed that same thing. Pretty cool!

8. 33 5 window coupe

33 5 window coupe

same motor,cool movie,i looked up the californie kid car years ago,helped pete and jakes become the parts place it is today

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

In the last TRJ there's a real good read about Pete & Jake. Good pics and history.

10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

just watched it yesterday.

got my copy from Coolstuff on here.

11. aircoup

aircoup

anyboby heard of ace of deuces new movie ?

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Do you mean "Deuce Bigelow, American Gigilo"?

13. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Just watched "The big wheel" on youtube.

14. i got a copy last year from my wife for my birthday..can any one tell me where i can get another dvd copy of HotRod?? i lent mine to a freind to copy and now it wont play :mad:

15. you might want to lool at a movie from the 80s called King of The Mountian with Harry Hamlin and Debra VanValkenberg along withDennis Hopper and Dan Hagerty........cool street racing on mulholland drive and all kinds of cars from vettes to f-100s and mustangs etc...........JMO

16. aircoup

aircoup

thanks larsdk i stand corrected

17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Coolstuff on here has DVD's of many classic car movies, including my favorite, Hot Rod.

18. 2Hep

2Hep

I lent my "KID" dvd to my boss and he won't give it back.... errrrr that was over a year ago

19. What I couldn't believe is how they pound the Kid's car in that movie. And it looks like the real deal, no phony Hollywood editing. Stuff like spitting gravel all over the car, etc. I wonder if Pete did the stunt driving. I hope he got paid well for the use of that car because I'm pretty sure it was scratched up pretty good after filming.

20. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I read once where Martin Sheen walked up over the fender to look at something behind the car...STUPID?
    Great movie,awesome car,but sidepipes?

21. the sidepipes were very cool at the time! What they had to do was tear up a bunch of a lotta tires..............I got stills from the filming and you should see the tire marks

22. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

It was the real deal, it got scratched up. Pete did not do the driving.

Attached Files:

23. white64

white64
    from Maine

Somebody needs to take out the terrible cliche' tv movie score and add some time appropriate rock and roll to it... It would change the whole feel of the movie.

With the music in it now I expect to see Charile's Angels in their Mustang IIs come around the corner!

24. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I got the book titled "Pete and Jakes" at the Petersen Museum. Good read about both cars and the Early Times CC. It also tells the "pounding" the "Kid" took filming the movie, but the studio paid for all the damage.

25. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I have a dumb question ,I grew up seeing that coupe everywhere ,Who built that famous 34 .......

26. pete chapouris

27. Blockbuster online has it. Not sure about Netflix

28. 81ttopcoupe

81ttopcoupe
    from Cedar Park

OK, so the first shot of the California Kid engine is from the American Graffitti car, but the shot at the end where the carbs are being adjusted before he takes on the Sheriff is a different engine. The vavle cover is different anyway, I noticed because I have a set of those for a SBF which I haven't been able to ID. Anyone know what those vavle covers are in the last engine shot?

29. budd

budd

ok so the first time you see the engine it has a breather sticking out of the valve cover, two seconds later when they do a closeup the breather is gone, i think it changes from a SBF to a SBC.

then when he is adjusting the carbs it's back to a SBF...lol..love the movie anyway.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011