Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Making a 671 Blower

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dzuari, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

No they are not, these are not repops or anything like that, and we don't condone or support repops. If you are familiar with blowers you will be able to notice the differences, and side by side you can easily tell.

:) this is my job, i do a lot of design on my own time but im making these videos for educational purposes and to advertise our company and what we do. My employer is actually my father and he supports me completely in what im doing. Our pattern shop was founded by my grandfather in 1947, in 1960 we installed our pouring deck(mass production castings) and in 1990 we started our own CNC. I'm forth generation pattern maker, my great grandfather was actually hired by my grandpa back in 1947. I love making things and making quality products(we haven't been in business for 60 years cause we make bad products:)). I've been working in the foundry and machine shop since I was 15(im 21 now) and not a day goes by that im not learning something new... well, most days :).

This pattern i am making is being overseen by my uncle that owns his own pattern shop but im doing all the programming, design and setting up. Hes mostly just making sure i don't crash his CNC :). Hes been a pattern maker since he was 13 and hes now 63 or 64 so i have plenty of experienced people guiding me.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
    BradinNC likes this.
  2. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

posted another picture, the machines running right now, should be done sometime tonight and ill go in tomorrow finish it up.

for all you machinist out there, so far it has taken 421,891 lines of g-code to cut this pattern, thats not including the coreboxes or underside of the pattern which will be started on tomorrow and hopefully done mid next week.

3. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Dzuari,
    Wish you well, big undertaking, That dog looks exactly like my grand dog, very good dogs. I think you will have plenty of business. Nailhead Buick valve covers, Desoto Hemi intakes, etc.that nobody makes comes to mind. How about blower end bearing plates?

Ago

4. Are you guys going to produce 1/2 pitch pulleys?

5. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

We already make them :), Here is our plates

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. swimeasy

swimeasy

Cool Stuff here! Subscribed! (Look at my tagline-signature, Your stuff is different!)

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now I know who you are... The DPI guy. My blower guy (Rick Dean in Washington state) loooooves your stuff.

Good luck and please find a way to keep us informed of your new stuff. Maybe you could talk to Ryan about becoming an Alliance vendor???

-Abone.

8. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

how about adding the old isky idler brackets? the one that bolts to the blowers front cover and hangs down. it took me along time to find one! or the old delta/thompson 392 front covers. great looking stuff so far!

9. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Right on Brother. Very happy to see an American Company coming up with this type of Manufacturing. Also happy to see a family business thriving.

VR&C.

10. budd

budd

i would like a 3x2 intake for a low deck desoto, one that looks like it belongs on a 50's engine.

11. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

he should, he's our only distributor right now :), he directly works with us in making these, hes a good guy to work with, and definitely knows what hes doing.

If you have a facebook you can like our page, we post all our new products and videos on it www.facebook.com/DiamondP

I believe we are an alliance vendor but my brother set it up 2 or 3 years ago and unfortunately i cant access anything that hes done.

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Wake up Baby Hemi lovers Santa maybe here! I could use 2, 241 270 471 aluminum blower manifolds and V pulley set up! Can get offsets and center lines for ya!

13. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

lol one thing at a time, let me get the 671 done first

14. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

How about anything in the Ford quick change line?

15. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

Nice..that's alot of g-code. What program do u use? ... Been a machinist for 10 years now. Would love to get into a local foundry/cnc shop. There is only one i know of and they werent willing to pay enough to support my family of 5(soon to be 6) so now in a precision sheet metal/ cnc shop making equipment for bakeries. Fun jobs but lots of stainless.

Ken

16. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Im using a 15 year old version of NCworks to cut this pattern and for being 15 years old, its pretty good, he doesn't use any tool changers or mass production machining so i cant comment on its capabilities for that. but we just purchased HSMworks at our CNC shop actually only a week ago and will be using it from now on.

If your looking to get into foundry and CNC work, im actually starting a youtube channel dedicated to education videos on both subjects. Hopefully by the end of it ill show anyone who wants to learn it, how to build there own furnace, CNC router, techniques and methods of pattern making, molding, pouring metal, and building CNC fixtures for mass production. I wouldn't recommend it as a full time job starting out but our foundry and CNC shop didn't spring out of thin air either :).

you can check that channel out here www.youtube.com/dzuari, i working on a video right now that will be an overview of my channel and hopefully have it up this weekend. this will also be the channel i will posted this blower build on. I also post car shows and racing events.

17. artandmaureen

artandmaureen

mybe i missed it but what kind of price are you going to be looking at

18. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Don't have a price yet, need to run 10 or 20. We have an awesome shop management system. We track all the time and material used in our products through the foundry and CNC shop down to 4 decimals. Once we get that all calculated i can post a price. From our 3D model calculations though i can tell you that just metal though, we have less than $100 in it :). Machining will be what dictates most of the cost though.

19. Pretty cool stuff. Subscribed.

20. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

I have built my own cnc router before also. Fun project also had built a little benc top cnc mill for my boss. And in high school our metal shop had a little foundry doin sand casting so I have done a little bit of that.

I will he watching your u tube videos as I am hopin to open my own small job shop here in thw next couple years....if the stars align them selves properly and would love a small casting facility.

I have used surfcam at a previous shop but everything I program is straight g-code into notepad and transferred into the machine. I have my own copy of bobcad. It's cheap and works okay. I jave mainly ran haas cncs. What does your shop run.?

21. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Nice!! I have been in a machinist training program for 6 months now and I think this thread is very cool. Can't wait to see the results.

22. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Holy cr#p that is alot of G-codes. Are you using a Fanuc machine or a modern style like a Haas?

23. budd

budd

24. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Heading back to the shop today, pattern should be done, ill post a picture as soon as i can.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

We have 3 vertical Mazak mills made in the late 80s i believe, 2 2005 or 06' double pallet brothers for high speed/high production machining, a quick turn 20 lathe and another mazak lathe, and we just bought a 91' 6 pallet changer horizontal mill that is awesome, we hit start and it runs for hours before anyone has to go an switch out any parts.

Its a Fanuc machine, probably 30 years old, i can't remember the maker but you can mount multiple heads on it, right now im cutting with a Bridgeport head, great machine for cutting multiple patterns.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  25. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

New photos up, I also just shot a video at our CNC shop, its a video of some .60cal FMJ bullet valve cover bolts, might not be the the idk if they would be considered hamb friendly but ill post it anyways. it shows how they are made and its the same machine we machine our supercharger pulleys on. Gonna try to get it on youtube as quick as i can.

26. I replaced my dean blower with a Mooneyham built unit. There is no comparison.

27. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Here is the video i made today of one of our CNC cutting a part we make, you can also see some of our supercharger parts throughout the video, if you like it please share it.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b4BmaiBLd00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I also just got done speaking with our CNC manager and i believe our next project we are starting after the 671 is the 471, so you can look forward to seeing some products for that.

how long ago did you purchase a blower from rick and was it a refurbished?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  28. Back in 08. He provided the core and refurbished it. I had to send it back to him twice because the seals were leaking oil. It was still leaking when I last took it off. The Mooneyham is a nice unit.

29. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Ah, i can guarantee it wasn't any of our parts, we didn't start superchargers till the end of 2009, if you ever do decide to buy one of ours though and you don't like it just tell us and we'll fix it.

30. nsra_23

nsra_23
    from Indiana

I didn't even know muncie had a shop like yours! I was born and raised in marion, just 30 min's north. I watched some of your james dean videos and realized that you were with the cars on the corner across from the merc corral, you brought some damn nice cars!