Register now to get rid of these ads!

trans adapter bushing removal help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slddnmatt, Oct 21, 2011.

1. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Got a small block Chevy with a early Ford 3spd behind it. The damn adapter bushing will not come out. Looks like it just slipped in thee back of the crank. I even tried tacking a slide hammer to it with no luck. Any ideas????

2. Vergil

Vergil

If the bore of the bushing is still good make a piece of round stock the size of the bushing hole, fill the cavity behind the bushing and bushing hole with grease, start the round stock in the bushing hole then hit it hard with a hammer, the hydraulic action should pop the bushing out.

Vergil

3. I've never tried it myself but there have been several posts in the past using essentially hydraulic pressure to remove pilot bearings. I believe it involved using a wooden dowel to fit the center hole, stuffing the hole with soaking wet paper (some guys even use peanut butter). Drive the dowel into the hole and the hydraulic action should force it out. Do a search for pilot bushing removal.

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

It's this adapter part that the bushing goes into that I'm having the problem with..it seems like the tolerances are just a bit tight and this damn thing won't come out.

5. psychopathic51

psychopathic51

I had one that would not come out when using the grease method and dowel rod or even an extension that was a perfect fit. I drilled a whole in it and tried to use a slide hammer on it and still no luck. I ended up just drilling a couple holes on oposite sides and drilled them bigger until i could break it into two smaller pieces and finally came out. After i got it out i seen it was a newer cheapy version that looked like it was made out of pot metal and had a brass or bronze coating on it.

6. I'm trying to imagine what that looks like but it's hard without a pic. Is it a press fit into the back of the crank and then the pilot bushing is press fit inside it? Is there a way you could still use the same technique described above?

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you intend to re-use the adapter? I assume since you tried tacking a slide hammer to it, you may not be reusing is. That said, an old trick for removing outer bearing races might work, and that is to run a bead of weld along the inside surface of the race, ten let it cool. The heat of welding and then cooling will slightly reduce the outside diameter of the race/adapter, and should make it a lot easier to get out.

8. brad chevy

brad chevy

Post a picture,you'll get better results.

9. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

this is what im trying to get out. the pic is from speedway. Ebbsspeed i figured shrinkage would happen when i welded a washer to the adapter with a nut on it so i could screw my slide hammer onto the nut, but still no luck... its definatley beyond reusing:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

10. alchemy

alchemy

I've used sockets with an extension in them instead of a dowel like other guys have suggested. And lots of wheel bearing grease in the hole.

You may find a socket with the correct OD to give it a try again. If you are close but not enough, clean the socket good (lacquer thinner) and wrap it with electrical tape til you're at the right diameter.

If it's steel, the welding the inside trick really works.

11. yblock292

yblock292

x2 did this myself works like a champ!

12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

ignore the pretty welds...i then screwed my slide hammer to the nut.. gonna see if i can shrink it some more..

Attached Files:

13. 1953 olds guy

1953 olds guy

I ran a tap through one of mine and kept screwing it in until it bottomed out in the crank and it pulled it right out.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I read this far to find Olds guy said it first.

15. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i was going to say an EZ out,but the tap sounds good too.

16. old4dlvr

old4dlvr

I have used an air hacksaw and cut the bush in 2 .