Register now to get rid of these ads!

Falcon electrical problems...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hammerndollie, Oct 21, 2011.

1. hammerndollie

hammerndollie

Hey guys, so I was having charging problems on my old falcon wagon the other week. I was out of town so we swapped out the gen for an alt. That got me home some how. Then after rewiring the charging system to bypas the external regulator I put a brand new $45 alt unit on it and it put out almost 13 v at the battery. I was a happy camper... Until i went to turn off the key... I could pull the key plum out and it still ran. Now I have a kill switch wired. Now today it misses out something fierce. Idles well, but misses at higher rpm. What gives? This is my daily driver and I HAVE to get it back up and going. Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

You need a diode, or idiot light in the circuit., so the alternator will "turn off" when you turn off the key. The engine performance issue is probably not related, but could be if you are loosing voltage to the ignition coil.

3. butch27

butch27

Same as above.

4. Adrian Rollini

Adrian Rollini

You may have a short or bad voltage regulator as well. Sometimes the system can get over charged and create problems.

5. hammerndollie

hammerndollie