Register now to get rid of these ads!

coming to a flea market near you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olcurmdgeon, Oct 20, 2011.

1. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Here's an interesting turn of events. Seems Louisiana has passed House Bill 195 which prevents the sale of second hand goods for cash. Supposedly a misguided effort to allow police to track stolen goods, can you imagine going to a automotive flea market and having to pay by money order, cashiers check or credit card? Incredible. Guess this new law flew under the radar and secondhand store merchants are just now learning of the new requirement. We all know that we have to keep a weather eye to our state legislature regarding auto emmissions and registration legislation but this puts a whole new wrinkle in things.

http://www.klfy.com/story/15717759/second-hand-dealer-law

2. VooDoo Child 56

VooDoo Child 56
    from Jersey

Thank you sir, (ow) may I have another?

3. Well that sucks

4. dugbred

dugbred

I'd hope the Federal Supreme Court might rule against that, being that all money states clearly that

"This Note is Legal Tender For all Debts, Public and Private".

5. That is crazy! Have to see if anything is changed there in time.

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'm REALLY beginning to dislike the powers that be!! :mad:

Viva Revolution!!

7. papajohn

papajohn

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

NY wants every vendor to have a tax ID so they get their share. So alot of swap meets won't sell you a spot unless you have one.

8. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Having the law on the books is one thing. Enforcing it can be another.

9. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

We used to do allot of construction and building renovation on U.S. military bases. We had to use US Postal Money Orders or cashiers checks to purchase the bid packages. They wouldn't take cash!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  10. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

"V" for Vendetta

11. Zerk

Zerk

How about Municipal sales/Sheriff's sales and auctions in Louisiana? Do they accept cash on the barrelhead? You can't have it both ways.

12. Frank K

Frank K

Welcome to the new improved Police State...

13. PA as well.

The Carlisle Fairgrounds has had Tax people walking the grounds checking for tax ID numbers.

THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. next they'll pass a bill saying that you can't use second hand money to make it easier to track criminals who rob banks and convenience stores.

You would pretty much be screwed here in KC no one will accept a check anywhere so its cash or card. As a rule folks who need to shop second hand stores don't normally have cards. :eek:

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

So, that would make ebay and craigslist illegal to use there? I think not.

16. brad chevy

brad chevy

If you read everything in the political mumbo jungo before jumping to conclusions its just more government bullshit. Its states that there are exemptions for car dismantlers and old parts recyclers and even pawn shops. Just more wasted time spent by polititions to make the public think they are really earning their pay.

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Any time some bureaucrat thiinks he sees some money he is missing out on, they try to find ways to get their share. Swap meets down here started requiring vendors to collect Florida sales tax on purchases some time ago. I don't think the Joe Average guys who put out their personal stuff for sale have to do it, just if a business sets up shop at a show and hocks their stuff.

The noose is geting tighter around our necks all the time, pretty soon we will be paying a tax on the air we breathe. :mad::mad:

Don

18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

19. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

That's REALLY FUNNY.

Thief: Check out this car stereo I just stole. I had to kill the guy to get it.
    Guy: Wow, cool. Can I buy it?
    Thief: Sure!
    Guy: Here's a $50.00 bill
    Thief: Sorry, I only take VISA. I have a rule against breaking more than two laws in the same transaction.

20. Andamo

Andamo

Theres a big monthly flea market IN Hazen, PA right off Rt. 80 that goes thru northern PA. A few years back the state sent their Gestapo squads in to arrest and fine the people that weren't collecting the 6% sales tax of items sold. So now if want to sell your junk there, you have to have a PA tax stamp and send the state 6% of what you sell. Bastards !

21. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

From what I heard, a lot of it is apparently about scrap metal thieves turning in stolen metal for cash. They definitely need to put an end to that kind of despicable crack head crap one way or another, but this seems like a pretty stupid way to do it.

How about they just require valid confirmed ID's for any scrap transaction with photographs taken of both the seller and the items to be kept on record for up to 3 years so that any stolen scrap can possibly be traced back to a photograph of who sold it? That might week out a lot of that kind of crap or at least make it notably more trouble than it is worth. Might also require a 2 week hold on actual scraping and payments for non-commercial, undocumentable items.

Probably has to do with the tax collection too I'm wouldn't doubt. They are fishing hard for every tax opportunity they can these days.

22. Stude,
    They actually require picture ID and take a copy of it when you sell scrap here now. it hasn't slowed a thing down believe it or not. they are still out stealing A/C units and copper wire.

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

True, I do realize that. That is why I think they also need to actually photograph each person for each sale along with the stuff they are selling so it can be checked and searched if needed. Won't be much help in hard to identify stuff, but things like manhole covers, statues and plaques might all of a sudden be a lot less tempting. But no rule will ever protect fully against every desperate low life crack head. But any 12 year old get a fake ID if wanted. We should at least try a little bit harder than that. Shut the scrap dealers down if they don't want to comply.

We all know some of these dealers know full well what they are buying and just choose to either not care or look the other way. Maybe the process makes it a little too easy for them to do that now. I hate rules as much as anyone, but I hate thieves more.

Or we can just start cutting hands off for those who get caught. I'm not totally against that either for those that might really deserve it.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here locally you can only take in 30.00 worth of scrap aluminum except cans at a time due to a state law trying to make it less tempting for aluminum thieves. The scrap yards make a copy of your license when you take a load in or have it on file along with your info. One place has a policy of who ever is selling them scrap has to have a vehicle with a plate on it no matter how small the amount of scrap is.

The local flea market got raided last year for people selling bootleg cd's and dvd's and several thousand got confiscated in that deal. Most of the people out there now are selling food or new goods and not that many used tools or stuff.

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I guess they figured once they got away with groping your women and children in airports they could do anything they want to you.

26. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

hope that law doesn't spill over to texas.

27. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tax numbers at a swap meet. Yes sir, here are my book. I only sold one item and only got a dime for it here's my penny. Keep the change. I saw the signs and thought what a joke. Are tax numbers still free? That would be the only way to make money on swap meet vendors.

28. Glad to know my state doesn't have the monopoly on knee jerk idiot politicians. Pass the law first and dont give a damn about who it hurts or what kind of problems it causes for legitimate business transactions. And once a "paper trail" is established, you can bet the sales tax folks will be in hot pursuit. It just kills their soul that a cash transaction transpires and they dont get their cut. Never mind its an old junk part that has been taxed dozens of times already from the time it was on a new car till now. If it moves, it gets taxed. You can bet the government's motive is not just stopping crime. If you don't believe it, let me show you a couple of bridges I have for sale.

29. Here in New York (the land of taxes) they are still free (shhhhh). They probably figure that if they're free then there's no excuse not to collect tax.

Yup that's how it works!

But don't forget that you also lost money on the sale cause you paid 15 cents for the item. You know how it goes. ;)

30. Actually in Arkansas, tax numbers are NOT free. It cost $50 for the "priviledge" of collecting the state's sales tax for them---for free I might add. I just incorporated my business and guess what......another $50 for an "entity change" They dont miss a trick and never met a tax they didn't like. The tax BS is why I quit doing the Carlisle swap meet years ago. Also had a problem with a show we did in Kansas in the early 90's. Probably owed them a couple of hundred for a show we did, and got a bill from them for $25,000. After months of negotiation, we got it reduced to only $3,000. That's one of many reasons I go to shows now just to buy.