Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plymouth/Dodge Flat six with T5 gearbox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rumblin Rolf, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Thinking of using a T5 behind my Flat six (1937 Plymouth BizCoupe). Are there adapterkits available? Anyone know the ratios for the different gears? Is the fifth an"overdrive"? Otherwise maybe I should also change the differential (in that case, for what axle/diff shold I go, keeping the width?). What I want is to reach a decent 60 mph rev, something like 2000 rpm or maximum 2500 rpm. Any good ideas, please? /HotRolf

2. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

here is a chart for rear ends I dont know about the T5 gearbox. sorry.:confused:

3. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

well I will have to try again it didnt load attachment,

Attached Files:

4. Are there any info regarding ratio's in the different rearends?

5. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Talk to Gary (73RR)

6. Rolf, there are a couple of adaptors made to put an S10 T5 gearbox behind a Mopar 6, there is a guy name Paul Curtis from Missouri, ph 0011 1 586 296 2488 who does an adaptor kit, also Wilcap do one also........you'll need to do something about the handbrake as its on the original mopar gearbox....best thing is to replace the complete rear axle with a late model Mopar or Ford rearend from a 6 cylinder car, an hipo rear end is overkill.........lol.......strongly suggest you join the P15-D24 Forum.......it caters for post WW2 Dodge & Plymouth but they don't mind mopars from before or after this period, especially if you are leaving the original engine in........lol......have attached a pic of my 41 Coupe & the engine that will go in it one day, also have a T5.....lol.........regards, andyd

Attached Files:

grumpy32 likes this.
  7. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Nice flat head!!

8. 58prostreet

58prostreet

Try Langdon Stovebolt for the trans adapter. I bought a WC mustang T5 with S10 tail shaft (shorter for bench seat) from him as well as a modified bell housing. I had to change bell housing as my trans went into a fluid drive Dodge. I also have a '99 Ford Explorer rear with a 4:10 ratio. I wish I had gotten a 3:73 or 3:50 as the 4:10 is a little lower than I like.
    Good luck
    Bob

9. 73RR

73RR

First off, here is an easy to use gear calculator. Just plug in the variables and see what pops out... http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/s4/gears/gear_calc.html

If you are set on the t5 there are various swaps documented, mostly at www.p15-d24.com There is also a Ford Ranger 5-speed swap over there and it looks even easier... now, if you are open to Mopar units I can help.

10. So, 73RR, you got a Mopar alternative?

11. 73RR

73RR

I'll give the short answer here, the in-depth answer is on my web site.
    With my block adapter you can mount any small block Mopar bellhousing, including the newer 5 and 6 speed transmissions that are one-piece. These include the AX5, AX15, NV535, NV1500, etc. The AX15 is the same family as the Toyota R150 if that is more familar.
    With a block adapter and late bell you will need to fabricate new mid-mounts and deal with clutch linkage or install a master to run a slave. Depending on the trans you choose, there are different solutions to the flywheel.

There is also a bell, circa 1959, from the flat six that is very close to the proper dimensions for the A-833 O/D. This bell has a dual block pattern and also mounts to the pre-62 A series V-8.
    This swap will use all oem parts; starter, flywheel, t/o bearing, clutch, etc.

12. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Tom Landon is a great guy, also.... There is also Trans adapter company called Wilcap in California. They run about $550 complete. Tom Landons STove bolt sells the adaptor but you have to mix and match some parts, like throw out bearing and clutch plate from different cars. There may even be some machine work needed.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  13. 4msfam

4msfam