Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hooking up my speedometer and I have a question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by butterboy, Oct 19, 2011.

1. butterboy

butterboy

Ok guys, i'm wiring up my 1950 Chevy Truck. It's time to plug in the speedo..Problem...I'm using a mid 90's NV3500. I know it's electronic speedo and my stock one is cable. So what are my options?? Could I buy an electronic speedo and pull the guts out of it an retrofit it in my 50's housing? Any Ideas? Thanks guys.

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. Classic Instruments will sell their speedometers as components, ie no glass trim. Tell them what transmission sender you have, they should match it for you. Then adapt the guts to your speedometer. Not sure if te sweeps will match the numbers indeicated on the front(dial), that you'll have to research.

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

5. butterboy

butterboy

Wow, thanks guys. So there is hope. Now to figure out how much this is going to cost.

6. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

There is a company called PATC speedometer world (Raptor Transmission) that sells a gizmo that takes an electronic signal and converts it to mechanical drive. It works by useing the signal to controll a variable speed electric motor.
    Hope you're sitting down-about $400.00.

7. I don't know about or just what a NV3500 is but I suggest checking to see if a local transmission shop can help you. I have a '93 700R4 in my '50 Ford and I was able to buy the pieces to switch it over to mechanical drive very easily. I bought a transmission cable gear housing for a 90s Chevy that had the mechanical drive hookup and a electronic sensor built in for the computer speed sensor connection. TCI has a lot of information on their website about conversion pieces.

8. Butterboy..Looks to me like your going to spend lots of money to use that speedo..Why not just buy a mechanical speedo and save some money???? By the way what the hell is a NV3500 anyway???

9. Its a late model tranny and he wants to use his mechanical speedo with it. it has no speedo drive.

Go to a junkyard and find a '73 olds omega. They had the speedo drive comming off the driver's front spindle. Take all the stuff for the speedo drive and adapt it to your front spindle.

10. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

Just word to the wise: your original mechanical speedometer is a far simpler component and far more robust than any electronic one you'll find. If the adaptation costs are all the same, go mechanical. Your future self will thank you.