Register now to get rid of these ads!

Name of this type of screw.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by karambos, Oct 16, 2011.

1. karambos

karambos

I'm rebuilding a Holley 4160 carb. Made in 1976. And the secondary metering plate is held on with weird looking screws:

[​IMG]

What is the name of this type of screw?

I've heard them called "clutch-head" screws but noone around here (Vancouver Canada) seems to have heard of them before.

2. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

3. boldventure

boldventure

4. Black Primer

Black Primer

Clutch head. Chevy was big on them in the 30's-40's. I guess they were also used in the RV industry. Do a search there should be plenty of info. Yes drive bits are available.

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

Those are the ones that will accept a sharp drill bit in my shop!!! :D

6. GREASER815

GREASER815

Yep, clutch head. My 50 chevy is loaded with them. Go to Harbor Freight, pick up their bit set. It is like 10 bucks for 100+ pieces. It has all of the clutch sizes in it.

7. karambos

karambos

Does that mean you'd drill them out and replace them with something else?

8. a small screwdriver will work if it fits tight.

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Since it's on a carb, I'd reuse them if you have the right bit, otherwise those get drilled out at my place!!

10. my '60 elco still has some in there too.

11. Loppy

Loppy

Brilliant design in my opinion. Almost never strip, and keep tool centered on head. Can't say that for Slot (tool slip), Allen (circular design strips easy), or Phillips (low contact profile strip prone). Robertson (square), is my second favorite. Capitalism at its finest.

12. Square is Robertson isn't it?

13. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

robertson is what we always called them square headed screws.phillips can be a pain when they strip,like robertsons,clutch head hold very well.i have a set of those bits in my set,never used them,probably never will

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Yup "Clutch Head"

I found this to be true also
    and some of the square bits fit some of them, well if you force them just a bit, ability to get them to back out is dependent upon if its rusted in place or in some cases dis-simular metal corrosion can sometimes get a good hold on them

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've seen clutch head screwdrivers at my local ACE hardware. they are not too common, other than those multi bit sets you see around.

17. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

neat history of clutch head screws in GM vehicles vs. phillips screws, it involved lawsuits and patents, good info to google.

18. late 30' -? GMC trucks used phillips screws, chevy trucks used clutch head [one way of telling them apart ]. i bought a set of clutch head screwdrivers but they were shaped more like a bow tie [round center] they would not fit the early screws so look for this when buying them.

19. My 46 chevy is full of these. They are clutch heads and someone sold them to GM before the war. Would have been a ome run except the Phillips screw, screwed them. GM used up their stock by 1950. Snap on Harbor Freight or Jim Carpenter have them. They are a pain! And there is at least 3 sizes maybe 4!

20. baker53

baker53

I believe Sears still sells clutch head screw drivers. I have three different sizes that I got from them.

21. oldblu65

oldblu65
    from Tennessee

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I was told GMC's had lock washers, Chevies don't, another was to tell them apart, if all evidence has rusted away. :rolleyes:

23. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

In the past they were also called "figure 8" screws and some tool manufacurers even called them "Chevrolet screws".

24. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Butterfly Clutch (type G) is what you are looking for. Holley is a #6 (5/32)
    The pic above has GM style and not what you have. Have done 3 of those carbs in last week or so.

Even the Ford/Holley carbs thru 1986 used that style screw on transfer plate.
    First used in 1959 (Edsel Carb) probably still used in some Holley's today.

Edit: just found this--- http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135697

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602373

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  25. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

If you're looking for a tool to remove/re-install those, take an old worn out screw driver and grind it to fit those clutch heads. Easy.

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Clutch head screwdrivers and bits are always on eBay. Thats where I got mine.