Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the hurry? Cruising speed question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenny P, Oct 15, 2011.

1. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Couldn't agree more! The only time i've ever left the club was when a monster rain storm was looming, i was 20 miles from home in my plastic T bucket and had to make a dash for it. Drove like a loon to get home which for me was real fun thrashing the T and pulled up on the drive JUST as it started to rain. As you can see my car wasn't exactly a wet weather car and cops don't like fenderless cars in the rain, so okay excuse to let rip.......

[​IMG]

2. Kenny P

Kenny P

Great comments, thanks for sharing everyone.
    I have been debating if I should spend the time and money to put gears in my car so I can hang with the others out on the road.
    After reading all of the comments,
    I think I am going to leave earlier than the rest of the gang, relax and run a speed I'm comfortable at.

Gasolinescream- That is one neat looking T!

Jake'sPumpkinella54----Boxers Brutha, Boxers! LOL:)

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Blue Ridge Parkway photos were awesome, Deuce Roadster

My late father (who happened to grow up in Virginia just miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway) told me when I first started driving forty years ago that if one follows the speed limit, one can enjoy the scenery and not have to keep an eye out for cops. More relaxing drive that way. Good advice.

4. mj40's

mj40's

I like to cruise around 65-70 on the open roads. My motor seems to like that area and have found that I see more of this beautiful country we have. I attended a receiving ceremony for a fallen solider this month. We had to travel about 25 miles of freeway with 200+ classic cars and another 200 motorcycles. The mortuary driver seemed to be in a hurry and had that Caddy up to 80. i hit a over ramp bump and lost a hubcap. Figured it was no use to go back for it because it sailed like a frisbee and was probable wasted anyway. My luck would have me being hit on the side shoulder looking for the damn thing and me being the next fatality.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  5. oldsman41

oldsman41

my club is mostly old guys we pretty much do the speed limit. if we can get to a cruise or show on the 2 lane we do that it seems more fun to me.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes, I run all out, but only for a little bit. Usually, I'm 5 or 10 over the limit. A lot has to do with traffic flow.

7. 94hoghead

94hoghead

What about the guy thats always an hour late for every function? Do you all sit around and wait on him then drive the speed of the slowest? Could make for a long day....

8. seldom scene

seldom scene

Years ago I ran with a club that didn't always make sure the mechanical details of their cars were in order. Long distant drives were an adventure and an opportinity for Murphys law to come into play. In other words some of the guys were lucky to make it at all and the trip home was even worse! All in all we had a great time. At on event I overheard a club member say " we should spend more time and money on our cars and less on beer", what a concept.

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

One time I was leaving a really big local show in our shop van. I was doing maybe 5 over on a farm road, so maybe 55 or so, when a certain Texan in a certain model A coupe with a certain Hemi in it came around me in the center turning lane fishtailing a bit with the gas ON. Surprised the shit out of me. He dove back into the lane in front of me and rowed those gears til he was gone. It was AWESOME. I don't think he gave two thoughts about any of it. He was enjoying the shit out of that car. Later on I followed my friends around town right after I got my car up and going for the first time. It was white-knuckle all the way, diving in and out of traffic, scared shitless. Man was I alive. I'm not advocating irresponsible driving, But there's nothing like driving THE SHIT out of your hot rod.

10. slim tempo

slim tempo

Having all my speeding days in the past I have adopted the speed limit route. People behind me pass in the no passing lane and yell "A**hole"! I was that way once. Grew up though.

11. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Everybodys is a hurry to get there then leave I dont get it its the cruz to me

12. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

I went down to WKK with a bunch of guys and at one point we were all together - about 12 cars - taking up the fast and slow lanes going 60 down highway 101. That was fun for about 5 minutes.

13. Hey! Do you know my friend Terry? He's THAT guy.

14. fatkoop

fatkoop

2X here. For me, the trip itself is the most fun. After we get somewhere, usually a show or cruise, I get bored pretty quickly and start thinking about the road trip home, hopefully finding a different route than we took before. As soon as we get home, I start thinking about the next trip. It's a vicious cycle. Small towns, off-beat side-roads, talking to people about the cars, looking at the scenery, that's what I get off on. 85 MPH on the freeways, getting wherever as fast as possible, then rushing back to be at home seems like such a waste.

15. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I like to travel at the speed limit and enjoy the ride. However, I went on an Early Times mid-winter rod run, man, do those guys boogie. I was doing 85 in my '32 3 window hiboy and they were pulling away.

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 56 Chevy turns 3000 rpm's at 65 mph. Its not set up for long range cruisin due to the low rear end. I try and keep it below 65. My 62 Chevy wagon turns 2000 rpm's at 65 thats our long range cruiser.

17. squirrel

squirrel

Hardly any else around here every drives very far, so I end up going alone, and I can set my own pace. But also it depends on if I'm gonna be racing or not, which determines what gears I have in the car. 65-70 if I'm doing the racing thing, 75-80 if I'm just on a drive.

18. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Kenny P thanks, was a fun car, most fun car i've owned actually. Mind you you knew you'd be cruising in it after an hour.

I think next to working on a car the cruising is as much of what it is about for me. Yesturday i went over to a friends to talk BS and took the car out for the first time in 2-3 weeks due to the bad weather. We're having a late summer here and on my way home i didn't go home, i went to the gas station. Put what money i had (not a lot) in the tank and just drove. Sun was shining, car was running great and i emptied the tank doing about 100 mile round trip. Just pointed in into the sun and cruised. Everyone in a rush to go some place and me in no rush with no where directly to go, just drove. So good for the soul and i'm sure the car thanked me for it.
    Usually i take my caravan to most shows so it was nice to just be me and the car. Normally i'm the one in the slow lane, folks hanging out of windows telling me to go faster, always cracks me up. I recently added this to the rear of the caravan, save me the bother. Was going to have ..."classic car + classic caravan = your screwed" but went for something less of a wind up.....

[​IMG]

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dreadybears post hits the whole thing for me! If I ever wanted to just poke along, I'd build a custom... That ain't happening anytime soon!
    I drive my car lots, travel out of state lots, and rarely travel in a caravan with other hot rodders. Add to that living in a big place with tons of open dessert all around. By nature, this adds up to moving fast! Besides, after building a car that handles and brakes with the best of them, and has a ton of horsepower, how else do you drive it?

20. Cruiser

Cruiser

I think most the guys have it right when traveling to a show or just cruising five miles over is a good thing. Here in California cops are looking to bring in big bucks the state needs money, so we show down. I travel from sixty to sixty-five, I don't want a high price ticket in my glove box. :D

Kustoms are cool and believe me, lots can go fast if needed, if your looking for trouble travel way over the speed limit and a lone.

CRUISER :cool:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  21. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

About 5 to 10 over the limit here. Pretty save there for no tickets. turning around 2400 with turbo 350 and 300 gears.