Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help; Bench or Buckets in my '51 Chevy???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TABLAY, Oct 13, 2011.

1. TABLAY

TABLAY

Ready to start the interior work, and can't decide on seats. I thought about putting low back buckets in front and back and building a console from front to back. Or should I use a bench in front and back.
    Any cool ideas or photos? What kinda seats to start with to recover? I found a lot of ratted out old benches that weren't worth recovering.

2. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Stock bench seats are the go! Iv got stock seats in my 51 they are really comfortable and look the goods Aswell

3. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

You can't go wrong with a bench in the front but....some cool swivel buckets would be kick ass if you were going 60's style!

4. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

I believe 70's monte carlos had swivel front buckets from the factory. There pretty cool lookin seat with no head rests.

5. I'm tall and the seats don't work for me, especially when lowered I had to slouch to see the lights. If I didn't run a bench a nice 61 64 Chevrolet with the nice chrome band look at home there.

6. Dennis6605

Dennis6605
    from Indiana

Have to agree with Morgan91. Use the orginals.

7. BaznJosh

BaznJosh

Bench seats rule!

8. I love bench seats. Always look good!

9. Steel 35

Steel 35

If she still performs bench, if not buckets. :p

10. Scott F.

Scott F.

There was a thread some time ago about bench seats and I'm going to paraphrase one of the replies to that thread. The reply was about bench seats vs. buckets and the response went something like this ... "a bench seat is better for gettin' amorous". I love that line and use it on my wife from time to time. It works, too.

11. lawman

lawman

Bench Bench Bench

12. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Can you show us a pic? It might help with our ideas for you to make a decision.
    J

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

bench seat so your sweetheart can sit next to you

14. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Buckets for the same reason :D

Going with a set of buckets out of a '73 'vette in mine, until I can come up with something better. LOOOONG ways a way from that though.

15. this says it all...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J3i7EFYk-_c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Those old seats were thick, soft and comfy. If the springs and padding are still good, personally I'd stick with the stocker. If you're going for a later look, the 60's Chevy buckets were the seat of choice: (Corvair, Chevelle, Impala from 62-65). Never cared much for them myself. Too bulky looking. The 66 & up buckets had more style, but then you're getting out of the "accepted time period".
    Early 'Bird buckets are good choices though.

17. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

Bench! I was lucky enough to have both front and back in my 52 and in decent shape. They feel amazing sitting on them. Buckets just dont look right in these cars IMHO.

18. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I personally would go with buckets. However, the reason is, my wife is only 4'10" and if we move a bench seat, all the way up so she could drive, my knees are in my chest.

19. cheveey57

cheveey57

In that car a bench would look best.

20. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

I've got a great bench in my '49, but after a couple of hours my back and hips are killing me. I don't have that problem with good buckets ... much more support.

Barry
    but that likely comes with being old