Register now to get rid of these ads!

Weird shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TOM O'CONNELL, Oct 13, 2011.

1. TOM O'CONNELL

TOM O'CONNELL
    from VIRGINIA

So I picked up this this nifty little gasser style 37 chevy coupe from e-pay the other day. Its got a 350 with tunnel ram 2 holleys & a shifter I've never seen before for the muncie. It's a competition plus...but its got a seperate up/down lever and knob for the reverse lockout. Anybody ever seen one of these? It looks very similar to an old p&g reverse lockout shifter. I'ts a little loose so I'm concidereing sending it back to hurst for a rebuild. Oh yea, It's not any kind of super shifter, It's got the same handle as the tri five bench seat shifters and the handle is one peice, not bolt on.

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I've got one with a reverse lockout in my 1970 Dodge Challenger with a Pistol Grip 4 speed.

Hurst Shifters are super easy to take apart, rebuild, change things on. I have a hybrid Comp Plus I built from parts in my slant six 4 speed Valiant daily driver.

If they didn't sell them that way, it's possible someone took a tri-five Chevy shifter and put the main one piece shifter arm/toggle into a Comp Plus box with the reverse lockout. I could do it myself if I had the parts.

Got pics?

3. TOM O'CONNELL

TOM O'CONNELL
    from VIRGINIA

Thanks Scott, I'm starting to suspect a hybrid type thing. One other thing, i've been to the hurst websit & checked there "available parts". Didn't see shim plates, springs or anything. Is there another good source for hurst parts? I'd really rather do it myself.

4. Sounds like a Hurst Ram Rod.

5. Back in the day I had several of the "Conversion" kits in the factory Hurst boxes that were an aftermarket add on for any Hurst Copetition Plus shifter. A small stick would come up along the round silver stick with a round red knob and up or down to engage it. Another feature was to put your car in reverse and pull up to lock it in as half ass anti theft deterent.

6. TOM O'CONNELL

TOM O'CONNELL
    from VIRGINIA

old guard that sounds like it, it's got the red knob!

7. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Thats an over the counter kit that Hurst sold to install a reverse lockout on your standard competition plus shifters. Very neat until Hurst came up with the early version of the super shifter with the reverse lockout already built in.

-Matt