Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have a ride that can't be bought?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 30, 2010.

1. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I know I'm new on here but am I supposed to drive my coupe to work in 3 feet of snow in January not to be a "chainer" ??

2. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

My 28 Model A closed cab, had it for 42 yrs survived divorce twice, when I got injured and was off 2 yrs, sold everything else, p/u made it through, now trying to keep it out of banckrupcy court, Sell it, cold day in hell, you can have it when you pry my cold dead fingers off of the steering wheel. Always made sure my kids were taken care of.

3. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

This '58 Chevy stepside belonged to my brother Chris. We spent a lot of time together building it, when he passed away at age 47 my folks felt I should have it. Knowing how much it meant to Chris makes it priceless to me. I wouldn't sell it at any price...

[​IMG]

4. Most of my crap is not for sale. I have it because I want it. I like it and no matter what you can offer, it's not enough. I built a guitar that I'll give to somebody before I die, but if you ask me to sell it, I'll probably give you a fat lip free of charge. I don't understand these dildos that have "FOR SALE" stickers on thier cars but no prices, no numbers. A friend told me it's because they think that everything's for sale, and for the right price they'd sell. Where is the honor in that? Doesn't that make them a whore...if EVERYTHING has a price? If you're a whore, and you admit it, I'm OK with that. But if everything's for sale but some things are just too yucky or embarassing....I don't understand that. Fundamental philosophical differences I guess. Don't ask me if it's for sale, if it is I'll put a sign in the window with my number and a price.

5. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

My house I would never sell, it's paid for and I love it, The resesion has cured me of hoarding, and I have sold four of my cars and I need to sell a couple more so I have some cash to finish my other cars and have a little cash for emergencies, Good rare and desirable cars are always a good investment and are better than cash in the bank, you get to drive and enjoy them , they hold their value agaist inflation, and have done better than real estate or the stock market. I have sold all my spare parts and yes I ask my self every day " how many cars do you really need?" I have owned my cars for twenty and thirty years , for me they are my bank account and my retirement and have given me much enjoyment and a social life. As I get older, I will probable keep selling them and leave my 32 phaeton and my center door "T" for last.

6. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Just came back from a mid week cruise. When work gets to me and stress builds, nothing spells relief like a ride in the rod.

When you find a ride that gets ahold of you like the one I enjoy, the therapy is priceless. I've gone through around 60 Hamb friendly rides along the way, but none have had the impact as this one.

I've owned cars that would value out 10 times more than this one. But no other has meant more to me. Maybe it's something that comes with age and learning to appreciate things more. Maybe it's because I've put more heart into this one than any other. If the good Lord takes it from me tomorrow, I'll be glad for all I enjoyed and not sad for what I had.

I really would like to wish others the same good feeling for their special ride that I enjoy...............

Attached Files:

7. S.F.

S.F.

yep, I have a none hamb friendly truck that you will have to go to my estate sale to get.

8. Everything I own is not for sale unless I've got it for sale.

9. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

when push comes to shove (food for kids, house $$, etc.) I believe everything has a price, material items are material items, what is said is not always what happens when the stink hits the fan. real life is real life.

10. You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house. :D

11. kayjohn

kayjohn

So many opinions.........That's what makes the world go round....So here's mine. I have three first loves. My 69 Mustang coupe, my wife and our kids. still have them all and pray we keep them that way.yes if push came to shove the car would go. It could never be replaced but nether could the wife and kids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  12. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

my 1964 econoline panel or nodoor for slang. i saw one in 1980 and thought he must have welded up the side doors. but he un-did the paneling and showed me it was factory. i could not believe ford would make it like that. i took me 24 years to find one. i've still never seen one on e-bay yet. i did see a a-100 dodge nodoor, but no econoline. you can see it at google econowest 2005-2011. it's red primer with et's 10 spokes up front.

13. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way cool! I had a RD 350 but always wanted a 400, just never found one! Never sell it!

I´d never sell my 62 Impala which has under 24000 original miles and was my first old american car in 1996. I was 20 back then and got it for all I had, 3500 bucks.That was a gift back then. I 2001 I got my 56 Bel Air which is also a keeper, cause it´s what I always wanted. My 34 Plymouth is my first Hot Rod i built and I´m gonna keep it too. Everything else I have is for sale if someone wants it, hahaha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. nsra_23

nsra_23
    from Indiana

This is not my car, but it is my fathers car. 69 chevelle ss 396/375hp 4 spd all original except for the wheels, that are older than the car is, and the steering wheel. He bought the car brand new in dec of 68 from a local chevy dealership and it has less than 6,000 actual miles.
    [​IMG]

15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

My own late 50's highschool 28 roadster, Y-block power,I'm rebuilding it agian now,but not 4sale at any $

16. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

ROFL! So hilarious yet so true. Money is souless. Some things are a piece of you, ones you can't ever let go of.LB

17. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Not yet, never had anything that couldn't be sold. However i have said that when i'm in full time work again i'm geting the car of my dreams, a nice A coupe or a 49-54 Chevy coupe and its going to be a keeper.
    Had alot of cars, spent a fortune on most of them and spent most of my time in the garage. Idea is get a nice car, put my mark on it, keep it and enjoy it. One day i'll have my keeper!!

18. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

Well I bought my Vette to drive until I die, but when you get laid off at 60 years old, things start to change. Vette not for sale yet.
    55 Cameo is For Sale, she is apart and needs work, listed on the HAMB.
    I do have a 62 Impala more door sedan that my grandparents bought new,that will never go while I'm alive, plus if I loose the house the Impala is big enough to sleep in........:eek::D:D:D

1983 Suzuki GR650D For Sale been in the garage, last time on the road was in 92, only 9,000 miles on her, needs new home and TLC..

Attached Files:

19. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

My other half is on the firm belief that a car is just a heap of scrap metal. He claims to have zero attachment to the 2 that we have and would let them go in a heartbeat if the right price was named. He doesn't have any sentimental value to either of them but I have a hunch that he has some sort of attachment to the '50 plym since its the first car we've ever done. Several people have ased if its for sale but he claims he "hasnt gotten his fun out of it yet."

He knows there is money to be had in scrap metal (he's a mechanic) and he will do his best to part out or rehome something thats rotten if he finds it on craigslist but in the end, for him, its a peice of metal and they all have their worth whatever that may be. He usually finds cheap cars that people want out of their yard: some of them newer some are old tin. He usually puts them back up for sale as parts cars or tries to sell them as projects.

The last ones he had were 2 parts rivieras that actually wern't bad. he had 3 people interested and all were confirmed to meet him on a saturday morning to chec them out and tae what they wanted. all were no shows. so he hooked them out and brought them right to the scrap yard. Its frustrating sometimes but he does his best and thats how he sees it.

20. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

There's so many new Hambers coming on board all the time that I'm sure there's a few more good stories of rods and rides that mean a lot to someone...................

21. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

It would take a serious financial crisis before I'd even consider selling my Essex. It's paid for, the house is almost paid for, and we're financially comfortable at the moment. I have a history with my truck going back to the late 70's when I was a pimply-faced teenager. It was the first hotrod I got to help work on and it was the first hotrod I ever got to drive when I was 16. When it was offered to me 4 years ago I knew I couldn't pass it up. I am changing it quite a bit, but to me it'll always be the same truck and I have no intentions of ever selling it.

22. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Now that's what I'm talking about! To me, that's what makes hot rodding great.

The story is usually that you don't ever forget your first girl.
    Now we know it can happen with the right hot rod too......

COOL! And thanks for sharing................

23. AllthenamesIpickaretaken

AllthenamesIpickaretaken

While I currently have quite a few cars I must say that I can guarantee that of all my cars my moms cars that I grew up with will be the ones I die with at any cost which I know arent Hamb friendly but they are as Follows a 69 SS 396/375 Elcamino, a 70 blk/wht SS 396/350 Chevelle ,a wht 88 Monte Carlo SS and an ugly as hell 77 Corvette..... most of these have been with us since new or close to it and each one reminds me of a certain era of my life.. whether times were bad or good the car at the time had a special meaning only me and mom could reflect back on and appreciate.... funny part is that of all the cars these particuliar cars are the ones that are not running and in total despair for the most part with no real future plans to even restore them other then occasional Pipe dreams spewing from my mouth when they come up in conversation, but for some reason just knowing that they are sitting here brings a smile to mine and my mothers face as if we could get in them and drive ....

24. Cruiser

Cruiser

I totally understand the guys who hold onto cars that have been passed down from their dad or grandad. I've never had anyone leave a car to me so I've never been that attached to a car. If, the price for my ride is fantastic it's gone, there's so many different cars I'd love to own.
    Fantastic price is no longer relevant issue for me, I'm building my last car and all I want to do is cruise, cruise, cruise in the slow lanes. I signed a letter in blood to my wife stating it was my last old car, so may '52 Chevy Fleeline will never be for sale.:D

CRUISER :cool:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  25. choptvan

choptvan

Almost understand this. I have 5 kids and I tell you what, I would NEVER sell my first truck. Had it since I was 13. You never sell family...

26. Rebracer

Rebracer

I have had my 55, going on 13 years, and I would never sell her as it would be like selling a best friend. The only thing I could imagine would be if there was some unimaginable crisis, or I needed to money to pay medical bills to save someones life. Otherwise we will be together till the end. There was one tough time a few years ago when in a fit of frustration cause I was briefly lived in an house with no storage, I thought I should her go (this thought lasted maybe less than 24 hours)...we dont speak of that time, the old 55 is so polite she pretends that this never happened, ha ha ha!

27. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

obviously i have a bunch of cars that cant be bought cause i'm selling them and no ones buyin.

28. dadz34

dadz34
    from Argyle, TX

As the rodder's who know me would agree, I don't sell hot rods as a practice. I have given away many more parts than I have ever thought about selling. I really enjoy these old cars so $ has never a focal point with them. I truly like working on them and I enjoy driving them hard as well since I know I can fix them if they break. I've still got the same '34 Tudor which my dad bought 2 years before I was born. I spent my second birthday traveling through Vancouver (long way from Texas) in the back seat when we hauled a travel trailer behind it the whole way up and back...we didn't know what motels/hotels were back then. My dad didn't listen to the nay-sayers when they told him "you can't haul that camper with that old car!". I'm really glad he didn't listen.

So I would say that to date I could never sale this car. Countless memories and a life-long experience of rod runs prove how valuable this car is to me. I used to say I would never sale it but the older I get I am learning "never to say never". Don't get me wrong, I still love the car just as much as I always have and would turn down any viable offer as I always have. I just have learned in time, sometimes your decisions are made for you. For example, if selling this car could save the life of a loved one, I would sell it instantly. If it meant my family needed food or shelter and selling the car was the only way to provide...then it's gone. To me it's that simple. I remember responding to a gentleman at the Nats 7-8 years ago when he told me, "now son, everything is for sell, it just depends on what it takes to buy it!". My response was quick and direct..."well, I guess if the price was right I would build you another one just like it, but this one isn't for sale!". After he asked me the history of the car, he completely understood my reasoning.

The way I look at it, my dad gave me so much more than just an old car. More importantly, he gave me a fair knowledge of creating something with my own hands and a strong passion for hot rods. He taught me "the look" (as he used to call it) and showed me how to create it...at least what we have always liked (big & littles, 3 pedals, sanitary & understated, etc.). I'm certainly not knocking someone else's idea of what they like. I'm just saying I know I could build another one if I had to sell this one. To me, this is what makes it easy to say "thanks but it's not for sale". The fact is, the memories can't be bought anyway. I will always have them even if the '34 is gone.

With >300,000 family miles I would say this formula is working for our sedan to date. My goal is to transfer this passion and know-how to my son so he can experience "his turn" with our '34. If I do it right, he can pay it forward to his kids one day. Thankfully he is only 12 years old today so I have a few years to enjoy it before he claims it for himself! And I'm really glad I have a couple more candidates in the ready to build so I'm not left without a driver when he does. :)

29. BELAIR1957

BELAIR1957
    from PA

1-3  DALE'S CHEVY-CLASSIC CHEVY.jpg

1 DALES CHEVY ORIGINAL 1-1.jpg My 1957 chevy i have for 33 years, my nephew help me redo it, when i get tired of it, i will give it to him.

Artixle in chevy classics magazine several years ago.

30. cavman

cavman

I have a 1970 Monte Carlo that I bought new shortly after returning from 'Nam. My first born rode home from the hospital in it a year or so later. He and I disturbed its 37 year sleep a couple years ago. With less than 25,000 miles on it now, he will be the next owner, but only after I am no longer here.