Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banjo rear end weight?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, May 26, 2011.

1. How much does a Ford banjo rear end weigh? Compared to a Ford 8"? This would be converted to open drive. I'm thinking the torque tube and such adds quite a bit of weight, and without it it'd be about the same as the 8". Specifically, I'm wanting a wide five year one.

Thanks,
    Kurt

2. barry wny

barry wny

Don't have a scale, can pick up & carry one, rather not with the tube wishbones & driveshaft. As far as un-sprung weight, a tube coupled to the trans throws that off I would think. If it's just for the wheels I would get adapters. If it's exposed, nothing better for looks is a banjo IMO

3. oj

oj

Most often you'll convert the banjo to open drive, i'd ballpark a banjo at 50-60lbs and the 8" over a hundred; unsprung wt on a V8 banjo is about 50% and unsprung wt of the 8" is dependant on how you setup the spring mounting.

4. mramc1

mramc1

I have a '36 banjo with tube and arms removed and it weighs more than 50 lbs in my estimation. It takes two guys to comfortably lift it up into the back of the truck. I'd figure it weighs closer to 100-150 lbs.

Josh Quick
    Quick Speed Shop

Boxcar's 1928 likes this.

5. Just so happens I've got a '35 rear on the shop floor. No brake assemblies, d/s, t/t, or radius arms. 90 lbs.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Way more than 50 lbs! I guess 100.

Edit: Uncle bob, I see you've got it nailed. I'd bet the beefier 38+ rears are a few more lbs than that '35 too.

7. :DJust so happens I also have a '46 PU open drive rear without brakes next to the '35. 112 lbs.

8. Hell, even a model A banjo is at least 100#!

9. Mart

Mart

Jeez, Uncle Bob, that's good info, you couldn't throw a couple of brake assemblies on the scales too could you??

Might as well close the loop.

Mart.

10. 117harv

117harv

Ok, ok i just went out in the rain and weighed a complete 33 banjo, without the drive shaft and torque tube...166 lbs.:eek:

A 35-38 i would guess would be atleast 10 lbs. more due to wider center section and larger diameter axle bells.:)

11. It won't be exposed. I already have a Mustang II 8". The only thing is, I won't be running hubcaps, so the adapter plates would show and it wouldn't look right without that wide-five hub look.

I've also got a pair of artillery wheels that I could put on the rear, but I don't know if they'd go good with the wide-fives on front.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,
    Kurt

12. :DJust so happens...............................yesterday I blew the '46 brake assys apart to soak in the tank so can't give you an exact number, but when I've shipped out brake assys with drums and hubs they run 60 lbs or so the pair. Pretty much in line with harv's numbers.

13. Okay, somebody else asked about the other parts so here are some examples from the pile:
    '35 torque tube 22#
    '35 tubular drive shaft 12#
    '47 solid drive shaft 16#
    '37 rear radius rods 15#
    '35 rear radius rods 28#
    Those last two are kinda interesting, eh?

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Good stuff! '35-48 are basically the same stuff, so weight dif would likely be the extra metal in slightly longer axles and bells along with crud, oil, etc.
    A lot of locating hardware on Ford, as pointed out aboove, goes into sprung weight.
    Go from Ford to open, and of course any ladder bars work about that way, but if you go to wagon type springs as many have you go from having the heavy part of one spring bolted to frame to having the heavy part of two springs bolted to axle...a huge migration of extra weight.
    Unsprung weight is a critical handling and ride issue for light rods, sprung weight is not much of an issue because rodders only need more horsepower to control THAT problem.
    The higher unsprung weigh is in proportion to sprung, the worse the handling.
    I talked with a guy who ran in the last flathead stockcar racing association in the east a while ago, and he said that the people who tried to run 9" rears found that the handling deterioration made them uncompetitive...the rear of choice ended up being expensive champ type QC's with as much aluminum as the driver couls afford. Lightening parts were not available much back then for 9"...these cars were '33-36 Ford coupes, genrally, well stripped and gutted.
    A sort of primitive rule of thumb is that anything unsprung should be 10% or less of car weight...obviously this gets to be fairly close to impossible on a light roadster that has to use affordable parts, but keeping that unsprung down as much as possible is something to always keep in mind.
    A collection of rear axle weight figures would be very useful, I think...not that many rods really need the brute strength of thing like 9" rears, but most traditional rods could use less weight jumping around down there.

15. whiskeyding

whiskeyding

i bought a 48 banjo and brought it home on top of my taurus wagon. I thought the windows were going to pop out....It was tire to tire and had torque tube both radius rods. I really wish i had gotten a pic. It was heavy!!! Got alot of laughs onthe way home too.

16. nickk

nickk

just had to carry one without all the same stuff and that sounds right on the money, but is still is heavy with one person esp if you small like me

17. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

Ford never could make up his mind, but there still around because of the superior metel in them, and 1 of the most adaptable rear end's in the world, I've seen them used as horse walkers!. What does a Henway?