Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford y block with no road draft tube?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Oct 10, 2011.

1. <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top>I bought this y block off of a guy on craigslist. Not exactly sure what year it is but came out of a truck and was told it is a 292. A guy off of this forum made me a pcv system for it. Well on this stock motor it didnt have a crank case road draft tube on the side of the block or on the valley pan at all. Isnt thst wrong?</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Not if it had a PCV system from the factory, like the one I saw in a '64 F250 in a boneyard. It did have a hole in the valley pan for the PCV hookup.

3. Yeah see this one didnt even have that. No hole in valley pan or the block at all.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Sounds like it'll eventually blow the dipstick out of the tube in an attempt to get some air.

5. Can you post a pic of a similar pic?

6. Ole don

Ole don

Cars and trucks sold in California started to change about the time the Y blocks were phased out. Your motor may be one of those. To make a PCV work right you need clean air in, and the PCV to vacuum. The PCV itself needs to be for any engine with near the same cubic inch displacement. It can be a screw in, a push in, or an inline.

7. Ok well let me post a picture of how I have it now and see if it will work.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ol Don said it right. It needs a breather to let air in and the pcv to draw it out through the intake. Two breathers don't work well on a street car either unless you love wiping oil off the engine every time you stop. Or the windshield if you are running without a hood.

9. Well the way mine is set up is I have a aluminum plate under my 2bbl carb with a hose going from there to the back of my valley pan where the valve is. I dont want breathers in my valve covers. I cant run a road draft tube because there isnt a whole in the block for it. I am going to run a chrome oil breather on the filler tube but I dont want a hose runnibg off of it.

10. IIRC, the 63 Y block I had just had a regular oil breather type of oil filler cap that you had to clean with kerosene every now and then and the PCV hose on the valley. There weren't any other hoses.

11. So what I am doing is correct then

12. kustomkat

kustomkat

I eliminated the road draft tube on the Y-block I put back in my 53 (due to mounting/cross member issues. I capped the hole in the block, put a PCV valve in the valley pan with a hose to manifold vacuum. Works very well, with barely any oil residue anywhere. Way better than when I ran a road draft tube...

13. Oh you did it that way? I ran it into a spacer under the carb. Im sure they both are fine?

14. blucar

blucar

None of the Y blocks had a hole in the block for the road draft vent tube... The draft tube connected into the valley cover.
    I have been a firm believer of the value of positive crankcase valves (PCV) since they first appeared on the '63 model vehicles. In mid to late 1970's California decided that all vehicles had to have emission control... The dreaded NOX system.. I converted my '59 Ford F-100 w/292 and my '57 T-Bird 312 to the PCV system from a '64 Ford F100 292 which made my vehicles pass the CA requirements for emissions..
    The 64 Ford PCV system utilizes a special adapter that attaches into the valley cover with the same bolt that attaches the draft tube, a rubber hose with the PCV is attached to a vacuum plate between the base of the carb and the intake manifold. A vented cap has to be used on the oil fill tube. The whole application is clean and neat.
    If the engine is one of the early Y blocks with the added crankcase breather on the lower left front of the block which has a screen filter in it, I remove the canister from the block, I insert a plate over the hole and reinstall the breather canister.. This makes the engine look stock.. The late model 292's and the T-Birds did not use the breather canister, the T-Birds have a block off plate over the block opening where-as the late model 292's don't have the opening at all.
    I will have pix of the application of a PCV on my '57 T-Bird tomorrow.

15. Not all y blocks had the road draft tube or down draft tube from the valley cover or pan. Sone had it out of the block. This motor I have nost have been a later model motor since there is no opening on the block and the valley pan didnt have the hole at the back at all. Maybe it was converted before in a shitty way?

16. I hope this picture helps...
    The PCV valve is in front of the carb conected to the manifold. It goes back to the valley cover. Also the red hose is conected to the aircleaner and the crank vent/oil fill tube.

This is a '64 F250

Attached Files:

18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

i used the brass truck pcv valve that screws into the intake, put a rubber grommet it the valley cover breather hole and ran a hoes to the pcv. blocked off the road tube.

20. Seems like it can go either way.

21. Cyclone

Cyclone
    from Sonoma, CA

Heres a shot of the 312 valley pan w/PCV in a grommet and baffle on the underside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Thats pretty much what I had did with mine.

23. Well I hope my set up works good with no issues.

24. blucar

blucar

A hose connected from the carb air cleaner/cap on the crankcase fill tube is generally not required providing the cap has breather holes and a screen in it.
    The ventilation air is drawn into the engine via the breather cap by means of the vacuum provided by the PCV.. The crankcase fumes are then consumed when mixed with the incoming fuel/air mixture.. As a general rule the carb should be leaned out a bit to offset the enriched fuel air ratio.
    I have used the '63-64 Ford 292 truck PCV system on early SBC's to eliminate the road draft tube while at the same time providing proper engine ventilation.
    As I recall, in about '65 Ford added a hose to the oil fill cap/air cleaner on the 352 CID engines. GM installed the hose to a fitting in the oil fill tube.
    I have a '59 Ford F-100 4x4 w/292, the truck was built in USA, however the air cleaner was made in Canada... It was very interesting to find a hose connection under the rim of the air cleaner. The connection had been flattened and soldiered shut.. I melted the soldier out and reopened the tube so I could connect a hose to the oil fill cap.
    I think the original thinking behind the hose from the air cleaner to the cap was to ensure that the incoming crankcase air was as clean as possible.

25. Thanks for all the info. It helped quite a bit.

26. This is the gasket I got. The two big holes on the right hand side of the block look like they are kind of blocked by the gasket. Is that right?
    [​IMG]

27. I guess it should be fine

28. BLB -Ford only

BLB -Ford only
    from Texas

where did you find the pcv groummet?