Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Royboy's Coverage of the 10th Hunnert Car Pileup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travisfromkansas, Oct 10, 2011.

1. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Post #1 of many!

First I want to say thanks to the Chrome Czars for putting on this show. A show this big takes a TON of logistics and it seemed to go off pretty smoothly. This was our third trip up for a Hunnert, starting with the 8th and last show in Morris, and it was a great time.

After making a deal to trade his 72 LeMans (and a little cash) with Bobwop for a 57 Chevy Wagon, my old man (Povertyflats' favorite brother in law) and I loaded the car up and headed out Thursday evening from Central KS. We got to the far side of KC before we called it a night. This made for a nice relaxing drive the rest of the way to Decatur, across MO on highway 36.

Some S.O.B. in a musclecar was tailgating us the whole way...
    [​IMG]

Crossing the Mississippi
    [​IMG]

I tried pulling some Family Vacation lines when we crossed the Mississippi...they were completely lost on my Dad...

[​IMG]

Other than a bit of wind the weather was perfect and we arrived in Forsyth at the hotel ahead of schedule. We unloaded Dad's Lemans and helped Bobwop unload the new to us 57 and a cherry 32 Ford Pickup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The deal was made and the keys traded hands. Bob and Dad wondered if the car was too stock to get into the show or not. We agreed it probably was but it didn't hurt to try.

It wasn't long before we took off for Clinton, IL for the Friday night Pre-party.

[​IMG]

This year's pre-party was packed, so many more people that there really wasn't a way to cruise, and a ton of really kool rides showed up too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everyone's favorite guy BobK was in attendance of course, always good to see you and the Mrs. Bob!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always, click on any of these shots to go to the full gallery. These will continue to be uploaded throughout the morning so the gallery will continue to grow until around noon Central today. Please consider buying a photo or two as a download or even a 4x6 print because every purchase helps me get to another show to bring you all more coverage!

Thanks for looking, see you at a show!

Travis

2. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

forgot to wish you a happy birthday this weekend Travis!

I am sure you spent it doing what you wanted!!!

No better show in the midwest right?

I will be checking out the thread throughout the day and will look forward to seeing some stuff that I did not see this weekend.

3. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Awesome pictures and a good looking trade

4. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kool pics Travis, Love the new '57 wagon, how does it get better then Olds
    hub caps and skirts. Looking forward to the rest of the coverage.

Happy Trails, Mick

5. Big Tony

Big Tony

really love the maroon PU

6. Cool stuff Travis, looking forward to more!

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

good hanging out with you Travis and thanks for the great photos

8. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Great pics, Travis! Great to see you man! There was so much going on, I forgot to wish you a happy birthday. So happy belated birthday! Congrats to your dad on the trade! Very nice! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your pics!!!

9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Travis, why don't ya go home sick and gives us some more coverage, I'll write the
    letter for ya...

10. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks guys, it seems my computer at home has fallen asleep & the upload quit. I'll restart it at lunch & I'll do another post ASAP, but it probably won't be until tonight. I wish I could go home sick & post the rest of the story. There will be a bunch of a short videos in there too!

Thanks for the Birthday wishes!

11. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Great pics! That guy in the white Studey is a dork though.

Thanks for posting it!

12. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Okay the upload has begun again! Here's part 2!

Still hanging out at the Friday night Pre-Party for the 2011 Hunnert Car Pileup in Clinton, IL.

Lots of beautiful rides showed up, there were a bunch of muscle car and other off topic cars but I ignored most of them because that's not what I'm into. Sorry if you want to see pics of them but most muscle cars are restored to the same condition as every other one and that's boring to me...

Awesome 40!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awesome to see Lit Up rolling! Very cool!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's always good to see some of the Omaha boys! Gary's 40 is just too kool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry not much commentary on this one, busy over my lunch hour! I'll be back this evening with an update and the final shots of the pre-party!

See you at a show!

Travis​

13. I've got a shot of his 'Good Side'. :D

14. ricksherl

ricksherl

Travis had a birthday? AH , if i could only be having the fun you are, happy birthday Travis

Remeber... a good scare is worth more to man than good advice

15. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Great pics! Over all these years, I never made it to the pre-party in daylight. Neat to see it under the sun!

16. +1 lol

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Man... From the pics, it looks like the 10th featured some really high quality cars.

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I agree, but it also had some real CRAP! Thankfully, Travis has learned not to take photos of the "art" cars. Thank God he is coming around!

19. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Good pics and I LOVE the maroon 32 pu---wish I had the money---

20. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

As for your comment about muscle cars they are considered to be big status symbol by guys the same age as your Dad. Nothing wrong with that-----hell of alot better property than rat rods like I see show up in some calendars each year------

21. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

WOW, great pics. It was a great show with a LOT of great lookin cars.

22. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks Rick! Dad's 57 will look great sitting next to yours and Robert's 56 :)

Yeah there were quite a few cars there early, the next set is mostly after sunset though.

There were a ton of great cars, and a bunch of the rats that normally showed up were not there. I don't know what the count was but I felt the quality of the show was up.

Sometimes I have to take a look at the silly stuff too.

It's a damn fine machine, I'd gladly take one!

23. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Part 3, finally home from a long day at work and dinner with the fam. The little nephews LOVE the 57!

I got tired of waiting for people to clear out from around Gary's 40... soooo sorry but they're in the shot, it was too close to crop and look good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Part 4 will be right on 3's heels!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  24. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I was one of the people who inspected. There were far fewer "rat" cars and quite a few nicer rides than the years past.

The overall quality was definitely up.

Better yet, I noticed a couple cars that were "V.I.P'd" last year have been worked over some and on their way to being nice cars.

That was nice to see.

25. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Part 4
    Still at the Pre-party on Friday night. By now it's getting pretty dark so I switched to a lens with no zoom but a much larger aperture so I could try to still get some shots in the low light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, fast forward to 6am on Saturday morning. We figured it's the last Hunnert there's bound to be a ton of cars in line, so we headed out for the show early. This gorgeous Chevy was in the parking lot, turns out the owner also has a beautiful light blue 53 truck that was in my Trucks calendar last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob's 32 pickup was leaving us in the dust on the way to the show, I think Dad was too scared to stand on his new gas pedal enough to catch up...
    [​IMG]

About 30 cars in line and the sun isn't even up yet, gates open at 9am...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob and Dad wait in line, Dad's 57 will be deemed too stock and will spend the day outside of the show. I'm not complaining it was fairly judged as per the rules posted for the show.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's part 4, 5 is on the way soon then I'm off to bed, thanks for checking them out folks, we haven't even touched the surface yet! My hope is that those of you that didn't make it can almost feel like you were there in some way, I hope you dig it.

Travis

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

good show Travis

27. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Part 5, last one for the night folks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This killer shoebox came complete with 2 kid seats in the back! Awesome, bring your kids to the shows, teach them young!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it I'm out of energy, see you all in the morning for the next installment!

28. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Nice pics Travis!!!

29. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks Dan! For some reason the videos are not uploading to the site but hopefully I'll get that figured out today. I'll also weed out some duplicates... technology is letting me down on this one grrrr.

Part 6!

Part 6 starts off with the cars in the staging lanes outside of the show, I'd guess around 7:30 am, still 90 minutes before the show opens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love weird and wild kustoms, this one is just that!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay off to the day job! My plan is for 2 more posts over lunch time today and then 3 more tonight. Sorry it's taking so long to get them all up. As always click on any of the photos to see the whole gallery on my site, and while you're there buy a pic as a download or a print, each sale helps me get to the next show to provide more coverage for everyone!

See you at a show,

Travis

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014