Register now to get rid of these ads!

History $5 "Stingray"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G V Gordon, Oct 10, 2011.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I love garage sales! Yea, I know you were expecting a Corvette. When I got this Thursday it was sprayed rattlecan red. Almost just put it up for sale as is but decided since it was all there to clean it up a bit. Ultrafine steel wool and laquer thinner took the red off and polished the surface rust till it was presentable.

NO t's not a Schwinn, it's an OTASCO Scorpion, but I think it's cool anyhow. lol

I thought it came out pretty good. Just rode it to my buddy Pauls and he couldn't believe it was the same bike. Couldn't save the original rear tire :( I also don't remember being this tired after riding my old Stingray 12 blocks. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Gotta love a bicycle with ape hangers and a banana seat- Mayor

3. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

Hey you found my bike!!! It was stolen from school back in 84!!! I'll PM you so you can arrange to return it, heck i'll even pay up the $10 reward I offered :)

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Bought one a couple of years ago to get my girlfriend on two wheels... She has graduated to her Colligate 26" and now I'm having fun with the Sting Ray myself! Funny story with it, when I purchased it I couldn't get it home right away(wrong car), so a fellow club member took it home for me and delivered it to me at our club picnic a week later. At the picnic, another member saw me riding it around (riding wheelies, jumping curbs, bunny hopping and such)and said "You've spent some time on a Sting Ray, haven't you!". Funny thing was, I hadn't been on one in well over twenty years! Guess you never forget being a kid...

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Very cool! I had a Schwinn back in the early 70's and STILL think about it sometimes. I might break down and find one someday. I looked on ebay once and the prices were stupid.

Nice find and $5 price makes it even sweeter.

6. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wasn't expecting a 'vette! When you say Stingray, the first thing I think of is Schwinn! Mr. Louvers, be careful - my 'triumphant' return to bmx with my sons resulted in a ruptured spleen!

7. Way to go, GV!

I'm getting into bikes pretty hard right now (much to my wife's dismay)!

Great score!

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's how you know your trying! We won't talk about my triumphant return to skateboarding and my three broken ribs either...

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

love the before pic george! ohh wait, ya didnt post one! :p

10. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I should have taken one for sure, it was ugly with a capitol UGH!

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

George...tell everyone it was ridden extensively by Linda Vaughn over a long, hot, humid weekend and then ask $1000 for it.

12. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

nice bike i have around 8 or 10 of the banana seats and 1 string ray

13. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Or I could keep the bike and just charge by the sniff!

14. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Cool!! :cool::cool::cool:
    All that it needs is a cheater slick on the back. :D:D:D

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn! Have you priced a cheater slick yet?!? Damn! I was absolute in the thought that the girlfriends Sting Ray HAD to have a cheater... Then I saw the asking prices...

16. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

17. jipp

jipp

heh, i had one of them fancy banana seat ape hanger bikes when i was a kid.. i remember eating shit on the damn thing cough i would ride side to side seeing how low i could get... and poof.. safe to say i never did that again.. damn, funny how a picture of a bike can bring back a memory..
    thanks.
    chris.

18. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

That looks just like the one I got from a police auction about 3 dozen years ago, same green too. I think I even paid $5.oo for it. I put a 6 foot tall sissy bar on the back, and a 2 foot fork extension on it. Pretty Bad-Ass on a flat street.

19. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

I got one of those as a hand me down from my brother , purple w/silver sparkle seat , 5 speed with tall shifter on bar like one in pic (couldn't find one in purple)

Attached Files:

20. jipp

jipp

man i would of hurt my self with the gear shifter there. hah..

chris.

21. cool find...really in neat shape....your on notice...my niece has moved back to Enid...plan on making a visit sometime...will include you too...

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I have a Lemon Peeler like this just waiting to be restored ... some day .

23. Heres my garage sale find,mine just cost $25. Also acouple of others I have.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

24. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

I really did have one of those back in the early 80's. My dad bought it at some garage sale and the bike musta been 10 or more years old back then. I hated that bike! I wanted one of the new BMX bikes with MAG wheels and the posts on the forks for doing freestyle tricks. I hated my bike so much that I ended up nearly killing myself trying to wreck it. I knew it was going to be the only way I would get a BMX. I did eventually kill the bike and now seeing yours I wish I could have that ugly ass banana seated, ape hangin', POS back! :)