Register now to get rid of these ads!

60 Dodge 3/4 ton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol'chevy, Oct 8, 2011.

1. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I just met with a client who has a 60 dodge 3/4 ton truck. It has the 8 1/2 foot bed. He wants modern powertrain.....a new hemi, auto trans, etc. The challenge is that he wants to use it for work, visiting clients and such and he wants to keep it as a 3/4 ton capacity truck. Any idea on running gear that may be adapted?
    The track width is about 61" and the wheelbase is 116".
    I figure there is no point in re-inventing the wheel, if anyone else has done anything similar please let me know.

I know the drivetrain isn't traditional, but he likes the power, low emissions, etc. and the idea of reusing parts. The outside should be pretty much origional.

2. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

:Dwhat about just dropping the body and box onto a later model frame ? or keep the existing rear and just do a new engine and trans . Look into a Cummins 6bt swap or ISB . unless he is committed to gas. Just some ideas i just got up:D

3. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Save yourself a lot of time and use the original frame. Should be enough room to fit a newer hemi under the hood. Its not the big elephant like it used to be in the 60s. Best thing to do is find a late model wreck and rob the drivetrain harness and computer. I believe theres a sight called copart.com they auction off wrecks of all makes and years.

4. X2 on the frame swap. Pickup frames haven't changed all that much dimensionally, and you get ALL the modern parts in one shot... The newer (04 up) Dodges have the best steering and suspension, IMO.

5. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I'm not opposed to a whole frame swap, nor keeping the frame and adapting a suspension to it. I need to find a front/ rear end with close track width in 3/4 ton. I found a 08 hemi and trans today for a killer deal. There is plenty of room to put it in the stock frame, so that is not an issue.

6. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Anyone know of a truck with a 61" track width?

7. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

i saw a 59 / 60 a few years ago, here in Manitoba...

a friends cousin put a mid 80's Ram frame under it, with a 354 hemi.

if you don't mind all the stupid lights and add ons, the workmanship... looks ...good.

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

He claims to have used a drill press to "rout" or machine out a trans adapter for it ( used a late model 727 Torqueflite ) using a 3/8 drill bit or something like that by hand, one hole at a time......

oh, and he also noted he used Acura 4 cyl wire sets x 2 for his Hemi wires.

8. A frame swap is unnecessary. The straight front axle under that '60 is plenty strong, plus parts are readily available for it. Keeping it and going to a disc swap is an issue, though, if that were desired.

It probably has a Dana 70 under it, which is plenty of rear for any 3/4-ton pickup, regardless of year.

I'd keep the frame and suspension intact, and go with the late Hemi and trans swap. With the OD and assuming the truck has a 4.10 under it (or a 4.88 if it were a Six!), you'll still have a highway-friendly overall gear ratio. The original springs are going to make it ride like a lumber wagon, as Chrysler intended, so if he is going for the overall look only, a later frame is a consideration. The 8-1/2' bed was not available after the 1971 model year, so a later frame will likely need to be bobbed, unless a Club Cab or Quad Cab is the donor.

Lots of options available to you. No Mopar truck frame is just 61" after 1971, IIRC. You might consider a 1972 - 1993 Dodge truck frame, since they are very similar dimensionally to what your 1960 Dodge has. Much more so than later Dodges.

9. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I'll look into those frames, thanks.

10. 52RAM108

52RAM108
    from 76564

Whenever I hear somebody who wants to take an old truck and use it every day with a modern powertrain, the short answer to me is swap the old body onto a modern frame: keep the modern powertrain, suspension, brakes, steering, etc., modify the body mounts, and ya have something that can be serviced with fewer headaches. If'n ya mix-n-match parts for the "best" setup, then ya have to document everything just so ya can figger out how to service it all, and it's just a big hassle that sucks all of the fun out of owning a classic-looking driver.

11. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

We scored a 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the Hemi and the track width is only about 1" wider.

12. Damn! That thing looks like a circus!! I can tell there's a nice truck under there though.

13. 73RR

73RR

...yeah, but you really can't use the Jeep suspension under a 3/4 ton truck...

14. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

He decided to nix the 3/4 ton status, the Jeep towing is rated at 7400 Lbs, enough for what he wants....any heavier and he will use a big truck. He likes the recycling idea and fuel injection. We are going to use everything possible from the Jeep.