Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever have a car take your breath away?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by newpy383, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Cerberus

Cerberus

This one did it to me.

Attached Files:

2. The cover of HRM, early 70s -- maybe 1971. It was a Mustang funny car. I think it was called the Sidewinder. Ford SOCH transverse mounted. By Crisman (sp?) maybe? It was the first HRM i'd ever set my eyes on. It was in the school library at C.T. Feelhaver elementary school in Fort Dodge, IA.

And there was a '34 ford roadster in HRM, maybe early or mid-80s. Bold Red. Fenderless. BBC. A thing of beauty.

The Blast-O-Line Special.

For sure the Jimmy Benitez (sp?) raw metal RPU.

The Lunar Lander in raw metal.

And many '32 Fords, '64-1/2-66 Mustangs, and '56 Ford Pickups. And tri-five nomads.

Oh -- and definitely not HAMB-friendly -- the 1980 Lamborghini Countach.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. racer67x

racer67x

4. GaryC.

GaryC.

This one does it for me....

Attached Files:

5. nsra_23

nsra_23
    from Indiana

My dads T always takes my breath away when you get into the secondaries. This T and his 69 chevelle ss with less than 6,000 miles, that he bought brand new in dec of 68, still draw me in everytime i stop by his house. i can sit and look at them for hours.

[​IMG]

6. I like the T... but I love the Stinson!

7. nsra_23

nsra_23
    from Indiana

If you know much about stinson's, which i dont, you might have heard of a guy by the name of Butch Walsh. If so that is his personal stinson and Butch and my father built the T back in the late 60's early 70's when Butch had a auto shop in marion In before he moved out of state and started restoring and hot rodding stinson's.

8. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

hot rod A..That pontiac you posted looks like it drove thru a Western Auto Store with a magnet on it.

9. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

A 67 chevelle I wrapped around a tree:D

10. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Realy realy have you ever realy seen it up close

11. oj

oj

Any early Bugatti does it for me. And that JAP powered early racecar that shows up on here from time to time. The beauty of them is the pure, raw function - there is no add-on gewgaws or trendy items. There isn't even an unnecessary rivet. Mechanical marvels and thier beauty is inherent not added on.

12. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Nitromethane drag cars seem to have that breath taking effect.:D

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Early Ferraris do it. Barny Navarro's Roadster....Oh My God....I gotta go now....I love that car. I'd trade my kid for it. Not really but yeah.....Navarro's Roadster.

14. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

The lead sled Mercury that Stallone drove in the movie. I think the name of his character was "Cobra"?

15. Saw a perfect cream exterior/burgundy interior Chrysler 300G ('61) at a show. Damn that was cool--big dual quad cross ram manifolds on that 413. Style and power.

16. When Little T ever grows up this is what he want's to be.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      388.2 KB
      Views:
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

one that does it for me. Nostalgia59's Surf Cart.

Attached Files:

18. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The Hirohata Mercury
    The Niekamp AMBR-winning Roadster
    The Lynn Yakel 32 5W Coupe
    The Doane Spencer 32 Roadster
    The FPO Joe 31 Sport Coupe
    and a host of others... making it hard to keep breathing these 62 years.

19. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

I agree. I wish that I could find the real thing just so I could sit down with it and look at it.

There are so many but one that is really coming to mind is El Gringo (the 55 built by austin speed shop). That is my favorite 55 in any rendition (gasser, kustom, you name it) I just love it and it was the desiding factor that when I build a car and I have enough money, I am taking it to Fat Luckys, no doubt. I remember going to a.s.s. to try and get a tour and looking at el gringo. It was outside, and if my mom wasn't with me, I could have sat there for hours just looking.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  20. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

There's plenty of cars that have come up on the HAMB and in publications that have taken my breath away and i could probably study those photos for hours. But what really takes my breath away is opening that garage door and seeing a '36 coupe sitting inside :) . it may be rough right now and it may be 2 years down the road before it sees the pavement...but damn....we are fortunate to own one of the most beautiful cars ever made and that in itself takes my breath away.

21. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

yes it was a 91 ford . it hit me at an intersection

22. Koz

Koz

The first time I saw Jim Inglese, ("Jimbo" on here I believe), Full House. At the time there really wasn't a strong traditional presence and that car was the ultimate "date night" hot rod. I've been collecting parts for a long time now and with some assistance from Jim I've been able to pretty much get the flavor of the origional. Jim sent me a pic of it frying the tires at Boxboro and it's forever burned in my brain.

23. fbama73

fbama73

My Chevy does, every time I look at how much rust there is left to be fixed :)

24. wanabe28

wanabe28

"Stripers" modified, not just the car, but also the interior.

Attached Files:

25. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Being lucky enough to go to the GNRS in 07 for the top 75 32 Fords display, I can honestly say that I was in awe of most of them. Seeing the cars in person that you've dreamed about and had only seen in books was something I'll never forget. There were just to many there to list them all !!!

26. Yes....twice! The first time was seeing the Beatnik Bandit in person as a kid. The second time was seeing the Hirohata Merc in person,being introduced by Jeffsled to Jim McNeil,and hearing the story behind the car from the "Horses Mouth"....WOW!!!

27. Tom Hanna's Dragster. Hands down, the finest piece of pure drag-fancy in existence.

been thinking about the cars that spun me out in magazines as a teen with no bucks....

cheez whiz '55
    cadzilla
    there was a big block 1st gen camaro that did the nevada run at up around 200 ...
    al teague's bonneville smasher

then many years later there was the Jimmy McCord special.

game changer.

recently,

seeing the beatnik bandit on display at LACMA

seeing the Outlaw, Niekamp roadster, Buterra's T and the Gypsy Rose at the Pete all in one trip.

having (and driving) Evel's Live Wire, socalmerc's unchopped dreamboat, Bobby Green's '40 pickup, and Denich's Grapevine clone in my shop.

man, i love his stuff!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  28. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are a few that caught my eye. Al were outstanding in my opinion.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

29. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

[​IMG]

GREAT PHOTO!
    ANYMORE INFO ON THIS?

30. A big YEESSS !
    A Cutlass Supreme I rented from National back in the middle 80's
    Someone barfed their beer into the dashboard and National was unsuccessful in removing the guck from inside the 8 track, the ash tray and other cracks and crevices.
    When I peered closely into those hidden areas I thought there were little chunks of food giving me the finger.