Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you remove spider bullet caps???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toddc, Sep 5, 2011.

1. toddc

toddc

On my Poncho, I've got a set of spider bullet caps. The centre bullet and the spider are pressed as one piece and goes on before the wheel nuts. Works like a charm.
    Then the 5 bullets for the nuts are made of plastic and push over the wheel nuts. I knew they'd be trouble when it came time to take the wheels off, and now is that time:rolleyes:

What I am after is some suggestions on how to get the plastic covers off the nuts, preferably without damaging them.

I've been told to bend the end of a small screwdriver and lever them off, but man these things are tight. I think that might just break a chunk out of them.

Any ideas :confused::confused::confused:
    [​IMG]

2. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

"I've been told to bend the end of a small screwdriver and lever them off, but man these things are tight. I think that might just break a chunk out of them.''

thats what i was thinking-not the breaking part just a little here- a little there back-n-forth ---chuck

3. Try some rubber lined channel locks. They are used to tighten and loosen cannon plugs on electronic harnesses
    If you know an aircraft mechanic, he will have a pair in his tool box.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

will chrome acorn nut covers work? Just in case you do break the plastic ones.

5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Did I read that right? Plastic..whats the custom world coming to when spider caps are plastic..Try taking an old bicycle tube cut some strips and wrap em around the teeth on your channel locks. That should do it, if the pressure doesnt crack the ...plastic.

6. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Try a little heat, hair dryer-heat gun duct tape on the edge of screwdriver

7. Well, just my opinion, but I'd go ahead and bust them off. You can buy regular steel bullet lug nuts for $20 a set and not have to worry about it ever again.

8. scottb356

scottb356

spark plug wire puller. Yes there is such a thing. They are basically long needle nose pliers with a 90* rounded tips and the better ones are rubber coated

Attached Files:

9. toddc

toddc

Now why didn't I think of that?:eek::eek::eek:

I tried the screwdriver deal, and it just cracked the plastic cap:( So a new set of dome nuts are on the way.

10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

first thing that came to my mind too.

11. ANewBeat

ANewBeat
    from Floriduh

Just out of curiosity, where did you get those plastic spider caps in the first place?

12. toddc

toddc